Moving files ?

For code related discussions and questions
Vincent
Trained
Trained

Moving files ?

Post by Vincent »

Hi,

I'd like to move some files from src to lib/ivis-OpenGL since they deal with rendering rather than game logic : terrain.h/cpp, texture.h/cpp (I'd like to rename these decals.h/cpp since they only set terrain decal) and display3d.cpp/h (which parse the whole scene tree).

Is it ok for anyone ?

BTW it would also make sense to have a lib/ai directory too for ai, astar.
moltengear
Trained
Trained

Re: Moving files ?

Post by moltengear »

In general, a separate graphical framework will contribute to the best development of the entire project.
In addition, functions for converting png files are scattered throughout the project.
It is also possible to create an assembler of all opengl commands. Thus, OpenGL will work in the second thread.
collector2.jpg
collector2.jpg (55 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
The game itself and multiplayer will not depend on the execution time of the opengl functions
It will also be convenient to do support for Metal api.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Vincent wrote:Hi,

I'd like to move some files from src to lib/ivis-OpenGL since they deal with rendering rather than game logic : terrain.h/cpp, texture.h/cpp (I'd like to rename these decals.h/cpp since they only set terrain decal) and display3d.cpp/h (which parse the whole scene tree).

Is it ok for anyone ?
Fine by me.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

moltengear wrote:It is also possible to create an assembler of all opengl commands. Thus, OpenGL will work in the second thread.
That would require a radical redesign first. Warzone is still mostly an 'immediate mode renderer' at the moment, which is bad for a number of reasons.

Also, GL drivers do their own batching of work behind the scenes, so the gain from doing what you describe would be quite small, if any, I think.