The Movement System

For code related discussions and questions
swenzel
New user

The Movement System

Post by swenzel »

Hello together,

After 2 days wasting my time by trying to get the build under VS2013 and win8.1 x64 to run i finally decided to use ubuntu and vim instead and I cannot believe how easy that was... you should really advice people to use Linux instead of Windows for developing.

Anyway...
Although I like most parts of the game, the movement AI is the most frustrating I've ever seen, especially because the game is so old it could've been improved for so many times... thats why I'd like to work on it.
There are two things that really bother me:
1. The shuffle system does not work.
2. It is not possible to move artilleries which are assigned to a sensor.

There is some comment saying the movement system is convoluted (think it was at the place where is checked whether a unit is standing on a construction place).
How much effort do you think is it to refactor it?
Is it possible to set up a testmap/testscenario for the movement system?
I imagine something like running the game with '-map mytestmap' and the game immediatly starts a skirmish with the scripted map 'mytestmap' where some movement scenarios are tested automatically (e.g. a surrounded unit trying to get out of the crowd).

Greetings
swenzel
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: The Movement System

Post by Per »

Where should we advice people to use Linux instead of Windows? Whenever someone asks, I give that advice, at least...

The shuffle system is quite bad, and it would be really nice if you could find ways to improve it. Adding a way to test it and measure improvements would be a good start, as you suggest.

Not sure how much can be gained simply by refactoring it.

If you have any questions related to the code, feel free to ask. We didn't write (most of it), but we might know some things.
swenzel
New user

Post by swenzel »

Put the advice as the first line in the MSVC compile guide which I found useless anyway... in fact I found this one viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11673 more helpful since it both lists (most of) the dependencies and tells me how to get VS to find them. Still didn't work though xD

Anyway, the comment I meant was actually about the action code and the movement code seems to be straight forward... however I still have not found out how a unit gets the status SHUFFLING and whether it means that it is the unit trying to move through a crowd or the one being in the way.

I think I try to find a way of testing that stuff first... could be useful for other cases too (just thinking about the discussion about the AI targeting 'bug').
wuz21m
Trained
Trained

Post by wuz21m »

To avoid starting a new subject: I think pathing is a very pressing issue. I have to start with a question, how many footprints exist in the game?

I mean for example, if cyborg is 1x1. Are all vehicles NxN?