Bug triaging anyone?

For code related discussions and questions
Bertram
Greenhorn

Bug triaging anyone?

Post by Bertram »

Hi there,

Since I don't have the time to seriously lay a hand on this project when speaking of code, I wondered whether I could help in the issue tracker area.
I've seen vexed has already done a large amount of bug triaging lately, and that the issue tracker has a total of 268 open bugs (at the time of writing) but I wondered whether reading open bugs, seeing whether they are still relevant would be appreciated.

Maybe you would also want to have additional feedback, like putting a 'Junior job' tag on certain bugs (might unfortunately require some good code knowledge to decide that.)

Also, are there warzone versions that are not considered not relevant anymore? Meaning that if one can attest it's fixed in the master version, the bug can be closed. Or the bug being refreshed in the title or the description (or rephrased as a new bug)?

Last but not least, maybe on could link bugs that are similar or applying in the similar area?

Not willing to step on anyone toes, of course. But tell me whether this is something relevant. :)

Regards,
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Re: Bug triaging anyone?

Post by vexed »

Lots of those tickets aren't really very helpful, since they don't provide a way to replicate the issues that are mentioned.

Would be nice if people had time to sort through them, and mark which ones are duplicates, and which ones still happen, and if you can get them to happen again, a way to reproduce it. :)

Right now, anything that is pre 3.1.0 should be checked to see if the issue(s) still happen on the latest build we have, but, also keep in mind that we are going to release 3.1.1 very soon, so, in actuality, anything that is pre 3.1.1 should be checked.

There are also quite a few minor/trivial things that just need about ~15mins of work to fix, but nobody has had time.
Because of the lack of time, we generally only fix show stopper bugs right now. :stressed:

Master is currently the dumping ground for the 'newer' stuff, that means, that the next release after 3.1.1 will move to that code base, and the current 3.1 will be deprecated for that.
While 90%+ of the things in master & 3.1 are the same (more or less), master has more javascript in it, and some other things that are not in 3.1.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Bertram
Greenhorn

Post by Bertram »

Hi vexed, :)

Thanks for accepting some help there.
Right now, anything that is pre 3.1.0 should be checked to see if the issue(s) still happen on the latest build we have, but, also keep in mind that we are going to release 3.1.1 very soon, so, in actuality, anything that is pre 3.1.1 should be checked.
[...]
Master is currently the dumping ground for the 'newer' stuff, that means, that the next release after 3.1.1 will move to that code base, and the current 3.1 will be deprecated for that.
While 90%+ of the things in master & 3.1 are the same (more or less), master has more javascript in it, and some other things that are not in 3.1.
Ok, I'll have a general look at all the tickets first, and try to see what the kind of stuff I'm falling upon, and which ones look similar.
Then, I think I'll start with the oldies first. At least I guess so, but anyway, I'll try to reproduce against master if it's ok for you. :)
There are also quite a few minor/trivial things that just need about ~15mins of work to fix, but nobody has had time.
Because of the lack of time, we generally only fix show stopper bugs right now. :stressed:
Indeed, one thing after another, right? ;) I've already experienced what the lack of manpower means in a spare-time project, and I understand you all fully when it comes to handle only the urgencies first.
At least, I hope tidying a bit the bug tracker will help you (even a little) to gather your thoughts. About the trivial stuff, do you think it would be ok to tag certain issues as is, so junior devs or newcomers could have a starting ground?

Best regards,
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

Remember these easy to replicate perspective distortion problem at higher screen resolutions. :wink: