Unlock room with key

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Unlock room with key

Post by BunkerBlaster »

Make the room unlockable after it’s been locked.

Why? I host open games because I cannot fill a room from irc. If the irc players are someone I can normally host I think those players should have first choice if they want into my game. But what often happens is they are not quick enough and the room fills up, I then have players from irc asking me to let them in. It’s not my style to kick anyone for this reason providing pings are good, so the irc players do not get in. So it would be nice to have the ability to host a locked game and invite players from irc first. If the room does not fill up I would then unlock the room and allow more players in as an open game. If that’s not doable then maybe give the host the ability to change the room name so that the required password can be typed in.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Re: Unlock room with key

Post by Merowingg »

I like the idea very much! honestly it is strange no one proposed it earlier.

+9
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Lock is just like kick.

My own rule is : The last player joined get kicked. Unless he were in the previous game or talked to on IRC previously.

If I join the last spot and the host is waiting someone else it's "sorry Ilu, but your the last..." and everybody is happy with that.

Of course, I'm not opposed to change any game setting after the hosting is started... so +1 :D
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Staff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Staff »

I think you mean you want reserved slots, with a way for people to get exclusive access for that.
Sorry, this account has been deactivated.
Please post issues in Website feedback instead, only Moderators can read things there.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

V.I.P slots :)

And those to be at the top of course, and with golden frames ;)

I think what they are about is, they want the hosting room to be able to be opened from the password at any time simply. On irc, they call X and XX and XXX, and few others, to a room called Goo, the host, makes it without password, but meanwhile the three Gentlemen, get stuck, one in bathroom, the other frose while closing webbrowser, an the third drink water in the kithen, as a rwesult host has full room within second, but with people he has never seen, and believe me ;) he drops the connection. The other version is they wait for one more player, the sixth, from IRC, but he cannot come, he is about to save the word, and he has just learnt it. So.. the only option is AI.. or.. unequal teams. And then ability to open the room would be a great idea too.

:ninja: and opens >> :D
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

Iluvalar wrote:Lock is just like kick.
In essence yes, but not really because the lock prevents having to use the kick. The lock is more gentleman like as the kick is despised and unfriendly as it is confrontational. With version 1.10 we use to host locked games and invite players from a buddy list, so that was viewed as a normal way of hosting but so was hosting open games, it's the choice of the host to play with those you know well or with those you never seen before.
Iluvalar wrote:My own rule is : The last player joined get kicked. Unless he were in the previous game or talked to on IRC previously.
We've gotten use to doing things a certain way since the game became open source as I've done that also and it's a work around to a problem that became the norm, but not a real solution. When hosting large games many players are trying to get in even after the room fills up. So when the host asks the last player to leave or kicks the last player, the next player that joins the game is not the person you expected, then the host has to do this again, sometimes repeatedly. As I don't like to ask players to leave or kick repeatedly I would then give up on that method and close the room and rehost. After rehosting, the room fills up within seconds and the player that wanted into the game still didn't make it. So I don't do that anymore because it's just not my thing to host like that. So I resorted to hosting the game with a room name of "Private Game" so the player that wants in does get in. The room still fills up since it's not locked, just not as fast, so that does not work well either.
Iluvalar wrote:If I join the last spot and the host is waiting someone else it's "sorry Ilu, but your the last..." and everybody is happy with that.
That rule is to rigid as it has happened many times where the last player that comes in is someone I know well. If you were the last person to come in I would not kick as that would defeat the purpose of trying to get the player in that is waiting because the whole purpose of doing this is to play with friends. Not everyone is happy with that rule because when its not a regular player that is being told they are last and cannot play they are often disappointed even if they leave on their own accord. There are also many that don't speak English so they don't leave and they don't understand why they are being kicked.
Iluvalar wrote:Of course, I'm not opposed to change any game setting after the hosting is started... so +1 :D
Thanks for the +. I don't see how anyone could be opposed because the idea does not have any negative effect or change anything for those that choose to solely host open games. I've been doing it backwards by hosting open games then asking irc players to join. Then I feel bad when they don't get in, so I stop asking. If this idea is doable then I think more hosts would host from irc first. And once everyone catches on that games are being hosted differently more players will be inclined to join irc, and if that happens it solves more problems than many realize.
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

Staff wrote:I think you mean you want reserved slots, with a way for people to get exclusive access for that.
No I mean unlock the room or change the room name. Reserving slots sounds more complicated to program but if it's not and it has the same effect then great. I am reluctant to say yes reserve slots and have it be something complicated that never happens. Whatever is the simplest thing that makes the idea work would be good.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I think the most sensible way to do it would be to have rooms be closed by default, and have a "announce game publicly" button somewhere. Then the game can have a randomly generated password that can be disclosed to whoever you want to invite.
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

For those that don't like the idea let me say one more thing. A long time ago we use to be able to converse in the room that was hosted and also the main lobby room. So we use to host locked rooms and invite our friends first, then we would ask players in the main lobby if they wanted to join. It was easy to arrange games this way instead of random teams. Many clan games were hosted this way clan vrs clan and those were the best games that I remember. The light bulb should be lighting up here :) So actually a locked room was the preferred method of hosting, and is probably why most players were in a clan back then.

Per's suggestion is perfect because it permits us to do the same thing and arrange games like we want instead of random teams if we choose. It also allows us to choose friends and those that don't quit, it allows us to choose those with good connections based on previous games and those that don't give us the Zzz constantly. It also allows us simply unlock the room and get players that are not on irc or not in a clan if we want to fill the room. I also believe more players would join irc because that is also needed. Better arranged games would be depending on how many players are currently on irc at the time, if you can't find enough players to join you can always simply unlock it :)
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

Per wrote:I think the most sensible way to do it would be to have rooms be closed by default, and have a "announce game publicly" button somewhere. Then the game can have a randomly generated password that can be disclosed to whoever you want to invite.
I may have misunderstood you. Would this randomly generated password be displayed and disclosed to anyone that sees the room? If yes then great. If not and I have to invite please tell me how that would be done.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

What if I want to unlock a room with a duck? :hmm:

But seriously I like the idea very much, also the details that occur are really interesting, in fact, as all things, such possibility has consequences too. Also a good the way to inform about it is needed too.

Regards - Mero
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

9575cf93e2a0b39c11d7bd2f51aef100fe4dae57: Allow unlocking rooms using various avians, such as ducks.