Innovate lobby

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
AycT
Rookie
Rookie

Innovate lobby

Post by AycT »

Hi!
I founded a lot of games made just to meet people, and this fact make me generate an idea.
Is it really to add chat to lobby. It would be GREAT! Or not in lobby, just in menu (lobby/host), where players can speak, plan games, do other activity. This thing should be_not_for_all, because people are people, and there is % of trolls, who can sabotage our project.
Nicks and IP's can be taken from any place, where registration is. (for example, our forum :3 )
Also this is much better than CAPCHA on freenode irc...

P. S. Sorry for bad English...
Canons or missles? This is the question.

JJjopando
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Innovate lobby

Post by JJjopando »

AycT wrote:Hi!
I founded a lot of games made just to meet people, and this fact make me generate an idea.
Is it really to add chat to lobby. It would be GREAT! Or not in lobby, just in menu (lobby/host), where players can speak, plan games, do other activity. This thing should be_not_for_all, because people are people, and there is % of trolls, who can sabotage our project.
Nicks and IP's can be taken from any place, where registration is. (for example, our forum :3 )

P. S. Sorry for bad English...
Hey, cool idea. It'd probably be good to separate by languages :?
Proud former soldier of the 39th Infantry
BATTLE OF THE PLAIN OF REEDS - WE WILL NOT FORGET
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Seems to me that the main problem in this is a very inconvenient GUI code warzone has. Sort of hard to re-arrange things.

As far as i know, guys in glest (megaglest) open-source RTS project already implemented a built-in IRC client in their lobby (they also use a built-in FTP client for map and mod transfer and have a dedicated server). The game logins to a freenode channel when it enters and posts messages like "/me connects to the NoQ's game" before leaving when the player joins the game. You can also stay in this channel without starting the game (the game greys out your name in this case), even though it's a bit noisy, you can easily monitor the lobby activity without mouse clicking and game running.
It'd probably be good to separate by languages
Not enough people to separate. Also, *everybody* knows things like "hi" and "lets play" in english, and that's sort of enough. Only later, when massive multilanguage chat becomes a problem, it will make sense.
Note: the CAPTCHA is not on IRC, it's on the web gate. Use an IRC client for convenience: you just click the icon once you turn on your PC (or even put it into autorun) and stay in IRC all the time without any extra efforts.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

AycT, here are some other lobby related ideas, including chat (which itself was proposed even earlier):
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9130
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.