Unit Selection View when Zoomed Out

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
JDW
Regular
Regular

Unit Selection View when Zoomed Out

Post by JDW »

At first I thought this could be a bug, but I guess it seems like more of a feature request so here it is.

Selected units have a bounding frame drawn, more like tiny white angle markers. When zooming in and out, these markers do not reduce their size proportionally to the zoom level like how the green health bar does. I feel that this makes it harder to distinguish the details of the weapons that they are carrying (mostly in the case of cyborgs I suppose) when the view is completely zoomed out.

In the zoomed in view levels, the size of these markers never gets in the way like in this screenie below,
Zoomed in view of the white angle markers
Zoomed in view of the white angle markers
In the zoomed out view the white markers take a lot of screen space,
Zoomed out view
Zoomed out view

This is just my observation, I'll leave it to you guys to decide what looks good.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Re: Unit Selection View when Zoomed Out

Post by cybersphinx »

Is that the problem mentioned in http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/3593?
We want information... information... information.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

The unit boxes have been decreased in 3.1_beta11; this was some sort of fix, but i think they should be increased now, cause it's actually pretty hard to click them, eg. in combat micromanagement.

Not sure about the visual part of it though. Some may rather prefer to see clearly whether the unit is selected than what weapon it carries.
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Post by Andrie »

NoQ I think you cannot increase them to much.
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

cybersphinx wrote:Is that the problem mentioned in http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/3593?
I think that ticket is more to do with what NoQ stated. What I suggested was more to do with the visual look of the selection box, the white angle part to be more specific. That they could increase and decrease in size proportionally to the zoom level like how the green health bar does now.
NoQ wrote:The unit boxes have been decreased in 3.1_beta11; this was some sort of fix, but i think they should be increased now, cause it's actually pretty hard to click them, eg. in combat micromanagement.
There was another related bug that may have been fixed recently (#3599). I wonder how this will affect the issue you mentioned. However, this isn't the issue I'm talking about here.
NoQ wrote:Some may rather prefer to see clearly whether the unit is selected...
That's true, but IMO the green HP bar already does this sufficiently well.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

It bugs me too. Maybe make them half transparent?
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Again, to give a better idea with a comparison, here is a screenie of how the white angles currently looks in 3.1,
Current look in 3.1
Current look in 3.1
And here is a demo of what it would look like with only the green HP bars. (Using F9 to show the bars all the time). The point being that the HP bars show the selection quite nicely in my opinion.
Press F9 to see HP bars permanently on all your units and structures
Press F9 to see HP bars permanently on all your units and structures

Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not saying that the white bit should be done away with. Maybe just made to resize dynamically with the zoom level?
-- Ambrose Bierce