Unit formations

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
ermns
Rookie
Rookie

Unit formations

Post by ermns »

I was wondering how difficult it could be to allow the ability to make formations for units.
Also give the ability to save formations.
It could have a lot of applications.

Right now if you want to eg. bring units to the front you can't do it with one command. Not unless you want cyborgs arriving earlier than your tanks. Or your hovercrafts earlier than your cyborgs and so on.

It would be really neat if you could create a unit formation where eg. you have on the frontlines the high armor tanks and in the back you had the archangel missiles hovercrafts. So when you choose the units you click on the pre-saved formation and you ask them to move into one place. They would move of course there but IN FORMATION while they are moving.

I do understand that path finding in this case might be a nightmare.
But it would be really awesome, and enable you to act and play with real life strategy where e.g. you hide humans(cyborgs) behind tanks.

What do you think guys?
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Unit formations

Post by NoQ »

There is some formation code present, but it is currently disabled cause it's sort of buggy.
The F11 button used to toggle formations in some very old versions of the game, you can try and see what it does right now (:
ermns
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ermns »

Hmm.. didn't know that.. thanks :)
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Those would be nice to have but terrain is probably biggest issue, how units should move when obstacles would force them to change their formation. Other issues, what should happen if unit needs to retreat or dies, should "hole" remain or should be filled by other units etc.
And personally I think it would be nice to have formation code being done in form of script (unless performance would be too low...).
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

Unit formations would be an awesome idea.. but I'd hafta concur with Emdek.
If you're reading this; you're awesome.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I have a ponderance for sorting out pathfinding and formations, but with so many other projects on the go it's going to be a while before I can write up my ideas with examples somewhere :s
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO