De-bounce the minimap camera moves

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
aubergine
Professional
Professional

De-bounce the minimap camera moves

Post by aubergine »

When clicking on the minimap to move to another part of the map, the camera always seems to overshoot the desired location and then bounces back to it. This is a real pain in the neck - could we just have it scroll to that location and then stop, removing the overshoot and bounce-back?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Re: De-bounce the minimap camera moves

Post by Nameless »

Do you have a video of it??

I'm not quite sure what you mean, I believe I may have the same issue but IDK.
If you're reading this; you're awesome.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

i'll get a video done when i get back from work trip
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

aubergine wrote:When clicking on the minimap to move to another part of the map, the camera always seems to overshoot the desired location and then bounces back to it. This is a real pain in the neck - could we just have it scroll to that location and then stop, removing the overshoot and bounce-back?
:hmm:
I kinda like it the way it is now...
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
dak180
Trained
Trained

Post by dak180 »

vexed wrote:
aubergine wrote:When clicking on the minimap to move to another part of the map, the camera always seems to overshoot the desired location and then bounces back to it. This is a real pain in the neck - could we just have it scroll to that location and then stop, removing the overshoot and bounce-back?
:hmm:
I kinda like it the way it is now...
I must admit I do as well.
User:dak180
Keeper of the Mac Builds
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

I share the same opinion on this. It just seems disorienting to me. Perhaps we could make it optional, like with the screen-shaking?
Last edited by Shadow Wolf TJC on 07 Apr 2012, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

I was also thinking about an option, but such thing would probably give "real" (though very small, but maybe that could accumulate when performing lots of actions...) advantage for those which would switch it to more smooth version. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

Emdek wrote:..such thing would probably give real ... advantage for those which would switch it to more smooth version. ;-)
I concur with Emdek..
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Emdek wrote:..such thing would probably give real ... advantage for those which would switch it to more smooth version. ;-)
Nameless wrote:I concur with Emdek..
+1

aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

What is the purpose of the bouncing currently?

For me it is somewhat annoying because I click to a location on the minimap and, for example, seeing a unit I want to select go to click on it only to have the map move under my mouse pointer due to the bouncing.

I've started to work round this in two ways:

1. Drag to a location on the minimap - this seems to avoid the bouncing.

2. When clicking on the minimap, hold down cursor keys in the opposite direction that the bouncing will go - this "dampens" the bouncing, stopping it much more quickly.

So, as for having an option to turn off the bouncing giving some players advantage due to quicker actions after moving, I'd say that argument falls down due to the fact that there are already some ways to manually "de-bounce".

I'd still be interested to know why the bouncing is there in the first place though?

In my recent videos I've been using a little trick I learnt from a blog about the special effects used in the TV series "Bablylon 5" (can't find the link to that blog, sorry - it was about 10+ years ago when I read it). What they did is to tilt and zoom the camera just a tiny bit because it causes a visual effect that makes the scene look more expansive. I'm not sure of the exact science of it, but there are some scenes in my video where it worked particularly well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5qRd95SSWQ

Instead of bouncing, maybe the camera could do that slow tilt and zoom after being moved to give a more cinematic feel to the game?
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

aubergine wrote:So, as for having an option to turn off the bouncing giving some players advantage due to quicker actions after moving, I'd say that argument falls down due to the fact that there are already some ways to manually "de-bounce".
More like current behavior is inconsistent and maybe even buggy. ;-)
Whatever end effect would be it should always (if it makes sense) behave the same way.

Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Also, I'd personally like for the camera to just jump to the location instead of scroll to it, much like if you're centering the camera on a group, or your HQ for example. That would allow players to more quickly jump to interesting spots on the minimap.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

A smooth transition is good for game experience and feeling. I personally like the "bounce", but it could get much more subtle and shorter.
Nameless
Trained
Trained

Post by Nameless »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote: ... like for the camera to just jump to the location instead of scroll to it, ...
Now there's idea. I think by having such a change could or would lead to other 'advantages' not unlike Emdek said.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Jump, scroll, whatever...
The only requirement for me is consistency, and probably the best (various reasons) and simplest solution would be always simply jump to location...

I believe that current solution was introduced mainly as "cool effect", probably without considering balance effects (or were ignored, as not enough important factors).

Anyway, we will probably need a poll later (to give more time for alternative solutions) to decide. ;-)