Shared Research = Halve the Time?

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Re: Shared Research = Halve the Time?

Post by Cyp »

zany wrote:
bendib wrote:
Terminator wrote:...
Because it already takes the power. When you cancel it doesn't give you back the power.
:doh: stop trying to dumb down the game. it was your choice to do it so live with your mistake
Actually, often it's not your choice to click on the same research as someone else. It's very common that two players click on the same research at the same time. It's also rather common to click on the right research, but while clicking, another research suddenly finishes, and different research jumps under the mouse and steals the click.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

oh yeah... that one must be annoying if you cant cancel in 3.1 :/
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Iluvalar wrote:oh yeah... that one must be annoying if you cant cancel in 3.1 :/
The only difference from 2.3 and 3.1 in this respect is the green "power accrue" bar. Sometimes, it did make a difference, especially in the high tech levels (though, that was quite annoying). Bringing it back as a 3 second chance to change your mind might be nice.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

effigy wrote:
Iluvalar wrote:oh yeah... that one must be annoying if you cant cancel in 3.1 :/
The only difference from 2.3 and 3.1 in this respect is the green "power accrue" bar. Sometimes, it did make a difference, especially in the high tech levels (though, that was quite annoying). Bringing it back as a 3 second chance to change your mind might be nice.
I hated that bar. Maybe give a 2 second grace period where it already starts, but you can abort it and reset the progress, and get your power back?
Also known as Subsentient.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

I love that green bar because it reward players that take the time to deal with it.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Iluvalar wrote:I love that green bar because it reward players that take the time to deal with it.
Hmm, what's good in forcing players to do extra unnecessary micromanagement?
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

:roll:
idiot. of course you can cancel research.
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

Cyp wrote:
zany wrote:
bendib wrote:
Terminator wrote:...
Because it already takes the power. When you cancel it doesn't give you back the power.
:doh: stop trying to dumb down the game. it was your choice to do it so live with your mistake
Actually, often it's not your choice to click on the same research as someone else. It's very common that two players click on the same research at the same time. It's also rather common to click on the right research, but while clicking, another research suddenly finishes, and different research jumps under the mouse and steals the click.
so make a timer display showing when it will be done
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

NoQ wrote:
Iluvalar wrote:I love that green bar because it reward players that take the time to deal with it.
I never died because I had a little green bars once in a while. We are not forced. I believe one of the strength in warzone2100 is to put the player into constant pressure to multitask. Move units, build them, research, design, build defense, build your derrick you noob and make those AA asap ! I believe part of it is because there is always more to do, and one of those was the financial micro management. I never felt it was that much hard. As long as everything dont stall in the green lines...
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

zany wrote:
:roll:
idiot. of course you can cancel research.
The issue is that even when you cancel research you don't get back the power you spent on the research, unless you cancel during the power accrue stage (green bar). 3.1 doesn't have the power accrue stage. It's effective when you're adapting because you can come back to that research where you canceled it, but we're saying there's other circumstance where it's useful to cancel and not spend the power.
Iluvalar wrote:
NoQ wrote:
I never died because I had a little green bars once in a while. We are not forced. I believe one of the strength in warzone2100 is to put the player into constant pressure to multitask. Move units, build them, research, design, build defense, build your derrick you noob and make those AA asap ! I believe part of it is because there is always more to do, and one of those was the financial micro management. I never felt it was that much hard. As long as everything dont stall in the green lines...
I don't see what power accrue has to do with micromanagement. In 2.3 it's simply an unnecessary (and in later tech levels, annoying) waiting period, with the incidental benefit of allowing you to cancel research before power is spent.

I really think giving back the power accrue as a fixed period of 2-3 seconds would be nice.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I don't see what power accrue has to do with micromanagement. In 2.3 it's simply an unnecessary (and in later tech levels, annoying) waiting period, with the incidental benefit of allowing you to cancel research before power is spent.
Suppose you have no money, and ordered 5 mg viper wheels tanks simultaneously in 5 factories. In 3.1, the first one starts producing once you have money for at least one tank. In 2.3, they will start producing only when you have enough money to pay for all five of them, because the green bars are always equally full. This is much worse: you
d have less tanks for quite some time. To prevent that, you have to micromanage: order just one, wait until it is paid for, then order the next one, wait until it is paid for, etc.
I really think giving back the power accrue as a fixed period of 2-3 seconds would be nice.
Just give the money back when the research was canceled early enough ;)
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

NoQ wrote:Suppose you have no money, and ordered 5 mg viper wheels tanks simultaneously in 5 factories. In 3.1, the first one starts producing once you have money for at least one tank. In 2.3, they will start producing only when you have enough money to pay for all five of them, because the green bars are always equally full. This is much worse: you
d have less tanks for quite some time. To prevent that, you have to micromanage: order just one, wait until it is paid for, then order the next one, wait until it is paid for, etc.
I knew 3.1 qued such orders. That's a flaw in the 2.3 power system design. I'm simply in-favor of a brief period in time where we can cancel research and not spend power. :lecture:
Just give the money back when the research was canceled early enough ;)
Yeah, same effect :)