Commanders and the CRC

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Re: Commanders and the CRC

Post by Corporal Punishment »

Schick? I'm german but that's a word I never heard of. There is a verb schicken=to send, to forward, to field. It's imperative singular is schick!=send!, forward!, field! but the capital first letter denotes Schick as a noun... The closest you could get would be chic=fashionable, pretty, borrowed from french pronounced the same, but still an adjective, admittedly often misspelled schick by the less educated. There is also the vulgar form sich schicken=to be decent, to be suitable, to comply.
:hmm: A Schick might be interpreted as that which you sent but this does not exist in contemporary german parlance although it could have been used in 17th century dialects. This would explain why you can not find a translation online.
What you describe is a Formation=formation, derived in both german and english from latin formare=to arrange literally meaning an arrangement of units.

Kiss me, I'm off-topic! :lol2:

Edit: I just dawned on me there would be a noun Schick in german as a corrupted writing of Chique=fashion, look, style borrowed from french together with it's corresponding adjective chic. Chique is rarely used in contemporary german but it was common some decades ago so it remains in the dictionaries.
Now, fashion in current german parlance is Mode which forms a false friend with english mode. As online translation tools are generally case insensitive but upper case denotes nouns in german, such a tool can not differentiate whether a query for 'mode' or 'Mode' asks for a english translation of a german word or vice versa. Thus it will offer both results, often leading users down a false track. And probably in this case would return the corrupted writing 'Schick' as a synonym for 'Mode' from inverse search. Ah, databases are wonderful!
Last edited by Corporal Punishment on 02 Feb 2012, 12:36, edited 2 times in total.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Corporal Punishment, yes, exactly as in Polish (szyk), this word has also the same meaning, related to fashion. ;-)
And this is third meaning from above page:
fixed order set of people, animals, vehicles, troops
But lets do not steal main topic of this thread. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
JakeGrey
Trained
Trained

Post by JakeGrey »

A possible if somewhat clumsy compromise solution occurs to me. What about having a variety of "command turrets" that are visually distinctive from -a large radio antenna, for example- and quite a bit heavier than the standard version, but still mount actual armament?
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

JakeGrey, this could be good too, I would love to have commander unit dedicated for artillery, when damaged unit won't unassign when going to repair facility. :-)

JakeGrey
Trained
Trained

Post by JakeGrey »

That wasn't quite what I had in mind, and in fact I'm fairly certain that attaching the commander ability to an indirect-fire turret would horribly break the game; you can't currently attach commanders to other commanders, for example. What I was envisioning was to simply swap out the command turret's current zero-DPS laser weapon with something actually damaging, and create a new turret model to go with it.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Would break?
You can already attach artillery to commander, they just don't stay assigned after retreating (more like a bug than feature).

JakeGrey
Trained
Trained

Post by JakeGrey »

*le sigh* I meant that you couldn't make an artillery unit into a commander as well. It'd be possible to mod the commander to have a cannon or an MG or something, but not an indirect fire weapon. Or at least not do so and then attach the result to another commander.

Though I wish attached artillery would follow the same settings for Retreat at X and Engage at X as attached regular units as well, but that's a separate issue.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Actually, I think there was a 1.x mod back in the days where there was a 'combat commander turret' where it was essentially a medium cannon. If I recall correctly, the main problem with it, was that the units being commanded would only change what they we're attacking each time the cannon's projectile hit a target. So the attached units had slower response times.

Also, the command turret does actually do damage, though it's very minimal, this damage is easy to change though, since a command turret works just like any other turret, except it acts as a commander.

For example, here is a screenshot with the commander weapon set to INDIRECT instead of HOMING-DIRECT (made it artillery basically). The commanders cannot be assigned to one another.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

JakeGrey you misunderstood me (or i misunderstood you). ;-)
I meant allow to allow to "permanently" assign artillery units to "standard" commander, without special weapon (command turret is weapon, but causing very small damage, at least in campaign).

JakeGrey
Trained
Trained

Post by JakeGrey »

Mysteryem wrote:Actually, I think there was a 1.x mod back in the days where there was a 'combat commander turret' where it was essentially a medium cannon. If I recall correctly, the main problem with it, was that the units being commanded would only change what they we're attacking each time the cannon's projectile hit a target. So the attached units had slower response times.
I think that might have been changed as of 2.3.9, because I've seen attached units attack their target while the commander was busy zapping the hill that was in the way; the engine might still have to wait for the shot to land, but it may not have to wait for an actual hit. If not, I'm sure that wouldn't be totally unfeasible a change to implement.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

JakeGrey wrote:
Mysteryem wrote:Actually, I think there was a 1.x mod back in the days where there was a 'combat commander turret' where it was essentially a medium cannon. If I recall correctly, the main problem with it, was that the units being commanded would only change what they we're attacking each time the cannon's projectile hit a target. So the attached units had slower response times.
I think that might have been changed as of 2.3.9, because I've seen attached units attack their target while the commander was busy zapping the hill that was in the way; the engine might still have to wait for the shot to land, but it may not have to wait for an actual hit. If not, I'm sure that wouldn't be totally unfeasible a change to implement.
If you select the commander and tell it to attack something manually, all of the attached units will comply immediately.

However, if you tell the commander to attack something and then move the commander so that it no longer wants to attack what you selected earlier and instead wants to attack something else automatically. The attached units will continue attacking whatever you selected before, until the projectile from the commander hits its new target, at which point, all the attached units will try and attack the newly selected structure/unit.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
JakeGrey
Trained
Trained

Post by JakeGrey »

Fair enough. My point stands about this being fairly easy to change, though.