Worm holes/portholes

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
ORPHAN-FOUR
Greenhorn

Worm holes/portholes

Post by ORPHAN-FOUR »

I nice non weapon form of tech could be something like a "stargate"/wormhole generator that your trucks could build to get quickly from one point on the map to another, of course trucks would need to build something on BOTH ends to make this fair, and to conform to modern wormhole physics vehicles should only be allowed to travel one way once a connection is established. these could also be used on maps to create "packman" like edges to the map where your vehicle would simply loop to the other side of the map. opens a whole new world of possibilities.
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Re: Worm holes/portholes

Post by Iluvalar »

And more moonwalking borgs ! \o/

I strongly support the idea, at least for map makers as bridge/underground solution.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I think it'd be better just to take a transport full of borgs to do the work. I don't think it's good to alter a game too much, especially one like warzone where the campaign already is inconsistent with multiplayer. (Campaign cannons anyone? Like throwing pebbles, even with heavy.) Gates, however seemed like an integratable and good idea, as did the super transport, which should have been there to begin with. (that holds 10 of any kind)
Also known as Subsentient.
theArmourer
Trained
Trained

Post by theArmourer »

No. It's out of character of the game, would alter gameplay a lot, and it would likely majorly unbalance the game.
~theArmourer
ORPHAN-FOUR
Greenhorn

Post by ORPHAN-FOUR »

Really?, wow i thought it kinda in character for the game, it's such a futuristic thing fitting the 2100 theme and the tech tree is kinda everything and the kitchen sink anyway, if it is so pontentially unbalancing then make it a toggle on the host screen like vtols and cyborgs. Even if it's not something that should be buildable by trucks in game then it should at least be a map feature to simulate bridges and/or tunnels.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Warzone 2100 seemed near-futuristic to me instead of far-futuristic. What's the difference? Well, technologies that we can expect in the near-future, like laser weapons, railguns, nanobots, automated repair systems, and even laser-propulsion (if you don't believe me, then look it up) are present, but technologies that we wouldn't expect in the near-future, like warp drives, teleportation, wormholes, planet-killing death rays, and time machines, are absent. Seems to me that a tunnel network, possibly assisted by subway hovertrains that use magnetism to hover or other such stuff, would be more plausible, and would fit in with a near-futuristic setting.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Shadow wolf kinda has a point... Railguns are nothing new, the idea was experimented with as early as ww2 by the nazis, but the power requirements were too high at the time. Guided missiles and high-intensity lasers are already present. The most hi-tech thing in warzone is probably the synaptic link, which has a central place in the storyline.
Even that is already under some development, equipment that allows you to control your computer using only your brain impulses is already available to mainstream consumers for a few hundred bucks.

Stuff like wormholes/teleporting, however, are something very different. Wormholes, even on a theoretical level, need the power of quite a few suns to form and while some people have actually managed to teleport a few photons, they are still working on whether it is even possible to do the same with any kind of matter.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

bullets firing trought friendly building, but never more then 20m away from where you stand. The lighest possible machine gun weight 1/4 of the whole tank. A flame trower capable of firing trought enemies as well with a special napalm that never burns allies. Réintegrating beams that can build a 6 foot thick 12 foot high wall in a couple of second.

But yeah ! you're right : the only thing that should ever be teleported in the game is the oil. like it right now in the present. :P

No, actually I agree with you. From a gameplay point of view there is no real difference with that and the tank transport that will probably come soon. But, it doesnt change my mind that as a map maker, even if it's just used to simulate a realist tunnel/underground/bridge it would be extremely useful and would improve the depth of the game. tunels and bridges can make neighbor closer without braking the basic symetry [or pseudo-symetry] of the map. And that would pit us into new interesting situations.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Iluvalar wrote:bullets firing trought friendly building, but never more then 20m away from where you stand. The lighest possible machine gun weight 1/4 of the whole tank. A flame trower capable of firing trought enemies as well with a special napalm that never burns allies. Réintegrating beams that can build a 6 foot thick 12 foot high wall in a couple of second.
We're talking unlimited-ammo machineguns here. Can your "lightest possible machinegun" do that? :P

Also, there's a difference between games being unrealistic for balance and playability reasons, and games being unrealistic because you want to add something anachronistic.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@Iluvalar Well yes, I probaly should have mentioned that game balance is and should be the primary reason, rather than technobabble, but remember that nowhere does it read that machineguns can fire through buildings, nor would they do that in the cutscenes. Same goes for the flamers and building walls out of energy. Storywise, building a base always takes several weeks if not months. Also, the machinegun is not just a machinegun, it's a heavily armored turret which can weigh quite a bit.

Anyway, if anyone coded this in, it would make for quite an interesting mod.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
ORPHAN-FOUR
Greenhorn

Re: Worm holes/portholes/quantum teleporter

Post by ORPHAN-FOUR »

Actually matter HAS been teleported, it was only a few feet but it has actually been done in the lab 2 years ago and not via energy hogging worm holes but through quantum teleportation. see quote -
"in the Jan. 23 2009 issue of the journal Science, the scientists report that, by using their protocol, atom-to-atom teleported information can be recovered with perfect accuracy about 90 percent of the time — and that figure can be improved.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,482 ... z1Jt5yUR8x"

so you see, this is not a tech development beyond the timescale of the year 2100.

I do agree that on some maps this would break the balance of the game which is why it should either be optional on host screen or used in map development only. But it does fit the time frame, will make for more interesting gameplay and does not need to break balance if it is added carefully.

Of course this only my humble opinion and i have only been here a short while.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

This was done about 8 years ago as only one component of a very complex, high quality, Mod to Retail WZ 2100 v.1.10. A brilliant & fun piece of work that is unfortunately only compatible to WZ v.1.10.

- Rman. :hmm:
sipendr
Greenhorn

Post by sipendr »

Iluvalar wrote:And more moonwalking borgs ! \o/

I strongly support the idea, at least for map makers as bridge/underground solution.
Instead of altering the game too much we can construct tunnels through hills/(elevated land masses) using construction truck or a special truck (which will be specialized in digging).This will shorten the distance.

But I think it may change the map a bit while game is in progress.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

just going to throw this out there and see who shoots at it...: a fellow by the name of speedy once made a total mod fo warzone 2100 - one of the items in that total mod was similar to star trek transporter... now, for the idea part - every tunnel needs a begining and an end - would it be possible to use part of the speedy code to fake a tunnel... if you can not see in your mind - then never mind. as i said - it was just an idea... :3 :hmm:
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

lav_coyote25 wrote:just going to throw this out there and see who shoots at it...: a fellow by the name of speedy once made a total mod fo warzone 2100 - one of the items in that total mod was similar to star trek transporter... now, for the idea part - every tunnel needs a begining and an end - would it be possible to use part of the speedy code to fake a tunnel... if you can not see in your mind - then never mind. as i said - it was just an idea... :3 :hmm:
Yup. Speedy was who I was referring to with -
Rman Virgil wrote:.

This was done about 8 years ago as only one component of a very complex, high quality, Mod to Retail WZ 2100 v.1.10. A brilliant & fun piece of work that is unfortunately only compatible to WZ v.1.10.

- Rman. :hmm:
And your right Lav - call it a "tunnel" or "star gate" or "worm hole" is purely semantics as it doesn't matter if your NOT showing a "passage" GFX or invoking inside the tunnel GPMs.

You have a "tunnel" structure on both ends with an attached "trigger location transition script" much like how the Tank Transport operates in Campaign ('cept you don't need the Transport GFX or GPM) - from map coordinate to map coordinate referenced. The Map Maker would have to place the new "Tunnel Structs" which means it would need to be in flaME.... then the Mod part would be the "trigger location transition script" like in Speedy's Mod. Speedy's script code can be re-used for this. A Tunnel Struct GFX would have to be created, natch. All very doable like you suggested Lav. Only thing would be the inclination to do the work to make it a reality. That's always the big stumbling block. Conversational idea brainstorming is fun and facile but making realities is a whole other level of dialogue or "playing the game" - many orders of magnitude greater along with that hair-raising 4-letter word & all it implies..... work. :lol2:

- RV 8)