Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 1

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
kage
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute.

Post by kage »

Serman wrote: Tinting fullscreen won't work.

You won't see stars in the sky, the moon, or transitions from day - sunset - night - dawn - morning
right. i mean a combination of both time-specific backdrops with fullscreen tinting (to make it so it doesn't look like the terrain is lit by the sun in the middle of the night). however, immediately switching to another backdrop would look tacky and cartoonish, hence the need for some kind of dynamic transition (assume you have backdrops for dawn, midday, dusk, and midnight: the transitions i refer to would be the effect you see when you change the backdrop from one to the next).
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

do any of you remember the app that worked on ai?  in there you were able to change the day / night time period... and it worked great.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

i only remember that the icon vaguely looked like bricks with bold lettering in front. heh, aren't you the person we ask these kinds of things?  :o
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

it was a rhetorical question - of course i know what it is used for... thing is i dont know if it works with the new versions.... seeing as it altered the .slo and .vlo files....  has anyone tried it..??
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
The Noid
Rookie
Rookie

Post by The Noid »

GiGaBaNE wrote: at first glance i like the idea, but given more thought, i wouldnt want to play games with that pluged in.

as a turtle. my ability to micro manage my research better than my enemies is mostly what wins me the war..

if everyone could do what you say then we would all just select the best money research in one lab, self repair in another and proll heavy body dragon in a third, scourge in fourth and bunker buster in fifth.
If the only reason you can win is because you are better at circumventing a sucky user interface, you probably should try to get better at actual strategy ;)  :P
The current user interface is simply horrible. Even in a game like civilisation you can set research targets, and that's a long-term strategy game where you have all the time in the world. In a realtime game you should not have to lose so much time on setting details for your research... You should use that time to micromanage your units ;)
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

For the Xth time: More detailed polygon models and textures. Better looking rocket sprites

Also for the Xth time: Better pathfinding, at 1.5x speed my VToLs circled their pads constantly, slowing down to 1.0x or 0.5x resolved this.

*Multi-weapon fortresses and bastions, not some ridiculously oversized uber weapon.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

**A flying vehicle transport, it cannot be ordered to a spot on the terrain. Instead the player must build an 3x3 landing pad. The transport can only be ordered from one landing pad to another pad. Transport holds 10 heavy tanks and has a speed of 700, allows rapid reenforcement of a base far away (such as bases on opposite corners of "The Pit"). Could be very useful on large user made island maps.
*Possibly* allow this unit to be ordered to enemy landing pads as well, so if you build a pad inside your base to allow quick re-enforcement from an ally or another of your bases, you also open yourself to a 10 heavy tank drop from an enemy if you have inadequate air defenses.
A heavy tank drop on an enemy pad has problems... they would destroy the pad they landed on (since its an enemy one). Perhaps this pad could not be targeted by normal weapons (as you could not destroy LZs in single player), the only way to get rid of it would be to demolish it with a truck. For the enemy- capture with nexus link, and then demolish.

The vehicle transport would allow faster transport of more powerful forces than a cyborg transport. For the money it should be the cheapest and quickest way of getting  a force of a given strength from point A to point B. This is balanced by being less flexible tactically, it cannot be used like cyborg transports to flank/encircle an enemy, establish a beach head, cutoff a retreat.... etc.

***VToL cruise missiles/Standoff Land Attack Missiles (like the AGM 154 SLAM)- essentially VToL artillery, requires a sensor/commander, one missile, long reload time. VToL answer to a turtling opponenent with Stormbringer AA and vindicator SAMs

****Satellite changes- Only one person should be able to build and research the technology, once a satellite uplink goes up, no one else should be able to build them, as one player had taken control of the old satelitte network. The uplink center should have a button (like a commanders *assign fire support*) that allows all artillery to fire upon any enemy within range, regardless of coverage by other sensors.

Laser satellite- Should be a one hit kill, no heavy tank or building should withstand a hit, when fired into a bottleneck of enemy heavy tanks, it should punch a hole in themnot just damage a few within the radius.

Satellite technology should be the ultimate weapons of war... no way to hide from enemy artillery (previously done by taking out sensor towers) and while you can run out of range from artillery, there should be no escape or survival from a laser satellite. Preventing an enemy from getting the satellite uplink and command centers should be a top priority, and failing that, destroying the operational uplink centers should be the common goal of all remaining players on the map

*****An attack move command for VToLs? it would be nice to get them to fire upon enemy VToLs they come across, currently I either have to slow time down to 0.3 and manually click on each enemy VToL, or assign them to a sensor/patrol and wait for enemy VToLs to attack. If I see a VToL strike crossing the map (may or may not be targeted at me), it would be nice to be able to issue an attack move command or something to intercept them- trying to click on a single VToL in flight is way too hard without slowing time. Patrol sucks because they fire one shot and return for reloading (not such a big deal on missile armed VToLs, but with Laser/cannon VToLs, it sucks).

****** "Scavenger Wars" Gameplay mode, Select from No base, scavenger base, base, or advanced base.
Players are given scavenger units and buildings, and can only research campaign 1 upgrades. Obviously some new models would be needed, such as a scavenger builder unit, repair unit, command center, research center. Possibly have a variation with a computer controlled Project or New Paradigm enemy, which mostly uses tank traps, machinegun towers, and bunker for structures, and viper/bug halftrack twin machine gun/mini rockets for units. Later they may produce cobra+heavy machine guns, mortars, hardcrete, and machinegun+ light/medium cannon hardpoints. Anything more and scanvengers would not stand a chance. In the campaign I remember a mission where I had python track medium cannon, and despite the scavengers having 3 bases with rocket empacements, cannon towers, mortar pits, they were a mere nuisance. Its that one where you need to capture an artifact(which gives you heavy cannon tech) from the new paradigm before there units make it to the LZ and leave via a transport.
Last edited by 3drts on 01 Aug 2007, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
richlv
New user

Post by richlv »

i hope that i am not repeating much. and if i am, that will hopefully be sorted with moving to wiki for wishlist :)

so here are some wishes after playing warzone2100 only for a very short time. some are hard to do and involve pretty large changes, some seem to be quite simple. most of these are for improving user interface and playability to reduce micromanagement and improve player experience.
----------
1. it would be nice if production and building menus were more structured to allow easier finding of desired object.

this is easier with buildings (they could be grouped main/walls/towers or similar categories)

vehicles in production menu would require either very thought out categories, or simple filters like all cannons, or all tracks in that screen. maybe even defined parts with checkboxes to allow showing of all flamers on either tracks or halftracks.
----------
2. better production progress displaying.
when producing units, lower area shows how many units of currently produced type will be produced. selection panel at the left hand side shows only totals for each vehicle that do not count down as vehicles are produced.

let's say you select to produce 3 of each vehicle type.
now, after some vehicles have been produced, there is no actual way to determine how many are still in queue.
it would be enough if those numbers would just count down as behicles are produced, but it was also suggested by Kreuvf to show both total and progress for each unit type (like 0/7 in the beginning meaning 7 units queued, none produced yet).

from a usability viewpoint, counting down of those numbers would be easier to grasp, as you could instantly see how many types of units are still to be produced.
----------
3. rearrangeable production queue
a more detailed and rearrangeable queue would be very nice.
for example, i have set a mixed bunch of 15 units to produce, but suddenly decide to produce a truck in the same factory. it should be possible to simply add truck and then drag it to the start of the queue.
----------
4. if a unit is damaged enough, it goes to heal and deselects itself. even selecting the group it belongs to, doesn't select this unit again. this makes it cumbersome to search for and reassign such units.
it would be cool if they would again reassign when a group if selected once they are healed, either past chosen retreat threshold or fully.
----------
5. a variation of 4. - but this time, maybe even a bug. if a unit is heavily damaged and retreating, in some cases it
is not possible to select it - it immediately deselects itself.
that makes player lose control over the unit completely.
unsure about the best solution, but maybe there could be a status "unselected myself", which would allow the unit to unselect itself only once. further unselects would not happen until the unit was healed again (as in 4., either past the threshold, or fully).
----------
6. an ability to find out what orders unit has.
when a unit is selected, it would be cool if some marker would appear at the place where it is heading.
further, as most rts games do, it would be nice if some shaded building would be placed at the place where unit was ordered to build it.
----------
7. unit name shown upon mouseover (both moving units and buildings)
it's annoying to select units one by one, and even worse with opponent units - no possibiity at all to determine the type.
finding a particular type of unit is quite cumbersome.
also, it would be cool to quickly find out tower type without zooming in a lot and knowing what each looks like
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

My Wish thing:
------------------
InGame mainlobby chat & users registration, like in "Springs" project.....or similar in Dune2000. At first you enter to mainlobby(where shows registerd user(online users) and gameslist) & than you can join or Host.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
cruise
Trained
Trained

Post by cruise »

I noticed that double-clicking seemd to select all units of a type using the most recent nightly build - that's an improvment I've been wanting for a while.

Most of what I'd like are UI improvements:

I'd /love/ a shift+click order queue system like TA added - I can't believe no other game has used the same system.

A prettier mini-map would help - and one that can be big enough to see all of the map on large maps - it's ridiculous having to scroll around a mini-map to get an overview.

Just saner behaving VTOLs - I've mentioned the strange choice of landing pads before, and a few others have mentioned landing issues.

Splitting out the building list into sorted tabs - defense, systems (research, uplink, command), production (power gen., derrick, factories, modules).
Ditto for research - turret upgrades, new turrets, new buildings, system upgrades, etc.

Tabs are already supported when the list gets too big, so I hoping it's not too much of a change...

Mix up the turret type stats to make more of them useful in the end game - HPV, railgun, cannon, laser, flamer and missiles could all be useful in different situations by varying range/RoF/cost etc. a bit. I'm happy to suggest some numbers if anyone can point me to the stats for all the weapon types...
[ cruise / casual-tempest.net / transference.org ]
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

wz does support order queue,the hotkey is alt or ctrl,cannot recall the exact 'mod' key atm...

the mini-map scrolling is annoying indeed,also the large pixels to represent units/structure and the ugly vtol lines really makes it unusable...

I know how to make them sorted by type,but some ppl may want to keep the original all-in-one measure as an alternative,which is not possible because the gui is hardcoded...

according to the wiki http://wiki.wz2100.net/roadmap:start krushia is working on making the gui scriptable,don't know when it will be finished though.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

For those who are interested in finding out the imbalance in game data,here are the generated HTML tables from txt's.
Attachments
statstables.zip
(22.97 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Hey watermelon, thanks for putting that together.

Could you also put together another table that lists purely numbers (i.e. no GFX stuff, etc).  I have a theory that i would like to test and see just how balanced/imbalanced the various weapons are.

For instance, what is wrong with those danged mini-rockets (in relation to the other weapons)?  ...
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

np this one has all string data fields except the name field stripped:
Attachments
statstablenostringfield.zip
(15.11 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

When it comes to balance structuremodifier.txt and weaponmodifier.txt should also be considered, they have a rather big influence on the real damage in the game.
?topic=1617.0
suicideidiot123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by suicideidiot123 »

well i know i havent been posting much in a while but id like to throw my ideas in, even thought some might have been mentioned before

1. An improved graphics engine

If there was a way to use blender to render all of the textures and basicly remake everthing with it, there could be lots of potential to make it look better... maybe if you could use .blend designs in the same game engine.

2.Night and Day transitions

This could be very possible even though the game is aged. i play command and conquer tiberian sun firestorm and it has day and night transitions so if an older game can have then a somewhat newer game can have it... at least i think its newer

3.Rebalanced weapons

As much as i like the balance as i go back and play more i see the flaws every time. Mainly there's too many powerful weapons and too many weak useless weapons to fit together. The strategic value of things like bunker busters and pod rockets and flame throwers is there... but the other cheaper or stronger weapons offset that possibiliy.

4.Some interface changes

I like the micro-managing interface but at times its overwhelming. When im getting owned or trying to mount up a counter attack after bieng almost annihalated its sometimes too hard to react quick enough and before i know it im losing because i couldnt get to the design menu and build it quick enough

5 sound

I have to admit that the ressurection builds rock... but there's still no music. I happen to like in game music alot so without it i get somewhat bored. And the sound effects compared to new games are really crappy.

6.Multiplayer

Its just too darned hard to find a big, good game. A seperate client would really help. And as for the lobbyserver i have yet to find any games. It my be my own network but it would be great to play mp finnaly.

7.AI

The skirmish AI is just too darned hard. It is unbearable and only masses and spams units.

Thats pretty much all i can think of. I would like to help but i know nothing about scripts or internal stuff. All i can do is use blender but im not even good at that. But i just wanted to bring my oppinions to light.

wow i have a headache now...