Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 1

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
HCN-Trooper
Trained
Trained

Re: Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute.

Post by HCN-Trooper »

Per wrote: HCN-Trooper: I love most of your ideas! The weapon connectors on your suggested new bodies are too close together, though. We need some new bodies for multi-weapons, but the connectors must be placed as far from each other as possible. I am also not sure how your underground vehicle would work (I never played Tiberian Sun).
those dots are Possible weapon spots, so it depends on what propulsion the Body is mounted:
E.G. if the body has VTOL propulsion, then there are only weapons availible on the bottom o the body
Another thing:
i also meant for the Hydra body, if it has Walker tech propulsion, that one spot is availible for under the `head`, and one spot on top of he body
DevUrandom wrote: This sounds _really_ cool. Though the air-ideas somehow read like Command And Conquer: Generals...
generals is the only CnCgame i did not get addicted to:as man say, generals is not a CnC game, still a nc RTS but not a CnC Storyline :S .....

some more things:
(as option i mean the Right click menu on a unit)

-the sensors could have an extra option. To fix the dish into one direction, so it gets more range, but an angled view as balancing.

-and an option for long reloading weapons (from Launcher to Archangelmissle) this is option will change the fireing method, the unit keeps the ROF but the rockets will be launched one by one, so less reload time and no useless missle impacts...
gypakk
Trained
Trained

Post by gypakk »

HCN-Trooper: Fantastic ideas! Really!

What about Space? No-one has ever seen the Nexus' satellite. But why shouldn't we make it visible? Other geostationary Objects could be added to the game too (e.g. like in "Civilization Call to Power").

Bugs? Ok, who would intentionally place bugs into this fine piece of software? ;-)
I think of vehicle bodies with legs. You could design vehicles which can climb up hills, mountains or walls...

Swiss cyborgs who can climb up a mountain oder a house...

Sorry, my fantasy is running wild. :-)
Life is real - unless declared as integer.
HCN-Trooper
Trained
Trained

Post by HCN-Trooper »

gypakk wrote: 4.
Swiss cyborgs who can climb up a mountain oder a house...

Sorry, my fantasy is running wild. :-)
lol....maybe those jetpacks i mentioned in my wishlist for the cyborgs to get up on cliffs
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

HCN-Trooper wrote: -(destroyable-/repairable-) Bridges could be added
The bridge is disabled in code,not sure how hard will it be to re-enable it.
-New design method:
not very feasible because of the order of components in 'template creation'.
-Cyborgs now able to garisson, 10 slots in big flats, 3 in houses, one slot is for one cyborg, a super cyborg though, need 2 slots
I was thinking about that too,though I wanted to replace cyborgs with human infantry.
-New propulsion: Walker (Slightly faster than wheels, halftrack like bodypoints, always same speed)
so the vehicle always moves (when going up or down a slope/hill) with the same speed.
making cyborg legs designable shouldnt be hard,but the bodies with legs propulsion will look weird caused by legs size/body shape.
-New (super heavy)Body: Hydra (following the row of Big:Wyvern, Bigger:Dragon, Biggest:Hydra) which will even have two fitting points for 2 weapons, or 2 sensor like things,or a sensor and weapon.....
the end game bodies are useless,for their build time/low armor threshold and any smaller body can use the same weapons super bodies can use...
-New flying tech:

--Mobile Re-arming pads
---this is for units, accept for airunits, cyborgs, Submarines and
  ground units which has an equal type body as the air unit or less(so rearmingpads can't be used on Light bodies and no Hydra body can land on a mobile re-arming pad)
---when an airunit has to land on a Mobile Re-armingpad, the ground unit has to stand still until the unit is landed.
there was some technical difficulties I tried last time,so it's not possible without massive changes to the way rearm structure works or make unit/structure interchangeable.
--Airstrip+hangars
---Building is 3*5 squares
---hangars can produce and store jets
---which need to take off on a airstrip and are way more faster than VTOLS.
---hangars will be on the side of an airstrip
---hangars also do the rearming, repairs and manufacturing
Actually I almost implemented this except the take-off and landing orders,I even made a prototype of 'rearmfield' in pie slicer back then,this is what it looks now in pietoaster,because pieslicer = runtime error now:
--Heli propulsion
---this body propulsion will be manufactured is a normal Vtol factory
---this propulsion will be slower than Vtol/jet
---it doesn't need the rearm pads(maybe only for repairs)
I implemented it once and it was fairly easy.
-Cyborgs should be designable too(able to hold /switch between 2 weapons).

-Cyborgs Abillity: Jetpack
--not worked out,no further ideas for this.
data changes only.
-new vehicle (not for VTOLS or Jets) weapon, a bunker which is garrisonable for cyborgs (4 slots)

-better internet play options (master server needed or so)

-oil-derik upgrade: two nodders instead of one. An if one is down the other is up and vice versa..

-Another new propulsion:  Subterrainian drill (Yes, like Tiberian Sun) which can be added to:wheels,half-tracks and tracks only.

--some more info:
---the vehicle will go under ground when the move is faster, the tracks-subdrill is the fastest for  going underground (that one has the best grip) .

---the vehicle will go in a straight line to the target when going underground, but it cannot go underthrough deep water, because out there the ground is unpenetrate-able, or at least the movement will be VERY slow.

---the tracks-drill, will have most bodypoints of all propulsion,because above the ground it will have a shovel, when going underground the shovel makes place for the drill....and underground the bodypoints increases by 200% (due a layer of ground above the vehicle)

---when going underground, the ground deformes into a pit/crater.

---new anti tech: tanktraps upgrade, concrete upgrade, sensor upgrade. Tanktraps and concrete walls(and hardpoints ofcource) will not be possible for drills to go underthrough... And sensors will warn when enemy drills are in sight (underground going) only then there able to attack.

---New drill tech: VTOL HEAP-Drill bomb-bay which allowes the VTOLS to atack from a distance, when they drop the bombs, the bombs will go underground and travel like 20 squares to it?s target then explodes massively.....

---Nevertheless, orbital strikes and archangel missles will slice the vehicles which are going underground like butter(when they?re spotted or just by lucky strikes).
I wont expect AI or human player to use it properly...
-Promotion system changes:

--Defence structures should be able to get ranks

--Promoted units should earn abilities like autorepair, even when moving or so.
should be relatively easy.

--Naval Zone--

-New Shipyard
--Naval Shipyard (or Sub Pen or so)
--6*6 squares
--can only be build on the water, all 6 by 6 squares
--this building provides manufacturing of ships and submarines, there are no modules for it
--it has a senor dish and a repair turret

-New Structure
--Naval platform
--2*2 squares
--can be build on water or partly on water, only 2 squares of the 4 squares sized structure can be build on land
--has a 1 by 1 square in the middle to build a defence, sensor or Vtol/Heli -rearmingpad, groundunits still can pass the 1 by 1 structure, Slowly
--this can be used for:
---Building bridges
---building barriers
---On water Defence building
---it also support the Repair facillity, which can now be build on the Water's edge aswel, for Shiprepairs.
Technically a shipyard is a combo of factory and repair turret.So it's not hard if anyone is willing to try.
Naval Units tech:

-Battle Ships:
--Light:
---Propulsion for, Light to heavy body (Viper to Venganche)
---as big as 1 * 2 squares
---2 weapon fittings

--Medium
---propulsion for Wyvern super "light" body and Dragon Super "Medium" body
---3 weapon spots
---as big as 2by4 squares

--Heavy
---Propulion for Hydra Super "Heavy" body (maybe more if more superbody-rows are implented)
---5 weapon fittings (2 on body,3 on propulsion)
---as big as 2 by 4 squares

-Submarine:
--Only support bodies: Viper to Venganche
--as big as 2*1 squares
--it has 2 weapons, one on the body and 3 archangelmissle holes,which launches 1 missle per 2 seconds
--Submarine can only attack when it's on surface with it's weapons
--In guard mode the sub will reach for the surface.
--sub marines can't be seen under water, however Sensors can detect them

Naval involving tech:

-Thermite bomb-bay upgrade: Floating Thermite bomb-bays

-Air unit weapon: Torpedo Bays

-Torpedo upgrade, Add a torpedo launcher as secundairy weapon for all Rocket/missle using Weapons,accept the artillery missles.

New Game type:

-Naval wars:
--only for maps which are for at least 70% consisting out of water
--shortened tech tree
--the base consists of,
---HQ
---CRC
---Naval Factory
---VTOL factory and/or Airstip
---Re-armingpads
---no Cyborg Factory
---some oil deriks and PP ofcource
---Research labs
---Factory: which only produces Hover ground units
There was a slight problem with collision detection with more than one tile and with non-square objects,though it can solved by using multiple bounding box like ppl did in fps games(one for head,3-4 for limbs,one for chest)
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

"I was thinking about that too,though I wanted to replace cyborgs with human infantry."

why replace cyborgs with infantry?
why not have both? though infantry would be soo easily killed in the wz environment.
for that matter... mechs!(very big robots/cyborgs) produced from a mech gantry.

id like realistic minimum depression on turrets.
it looks kinda silly when the barrel goes through the body of the tank.
Last edited by psychopompos on 20 Dec 2007, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
MOTHERBOARD - MSI P7N PLATINUM¦-¦PROCESSOR - C2D E7300 @ 4.00GHZ
MEMORY - 4 Gig (2x2gig) ddr2 1066mhz¦-¦OPERATING SYSTEM - WINDOWS 7 (ULT)
GRAPHICS - BFG GTX 260 OCX (requires ForceWare drivers for good openGL)
HCN-Trooper
Trained
Trained

Post by HCN-Trooper »

Watermelon:

-i still have all models and i can give them to you in .3DS format

-about the walker prolulsion:
--this propulsion will be Bigger that the cyborg legs, this will be animated models, in stead of the animated tiles(like the cyborgs)
I made this quickly how it could be:

and i'd like to have the normal infantry too as a extra unit....and i got another idea for them:

-Make them availible as Squads
-one squad is then one garrison-slot
-so the are vulnerable in field, but in bunkers, they are effective:D
-a squad contains:
--one comander(with commander beam and a long range needlegun when they're availible)
--2 Bazooka's(first minipod-rockets, then as last a scrouge missle)
--2 Flamethrowers (when the enemy get's close)
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

if your gonna have quadrupedal type walker i would base it on insectoid rather than animal frames... looks far too StarWars-ee otherwise IMO.
HCN-Trooper wrote: and i'd like to have the normal infantry too as a extra unit....and i got another idea for them:

-Make them availible as Squads
-one squad is then one garrison-slot
-so the are vulnerable in field, but in bunkers, they are effective:D
-a squad contains:
--one comander(with commander beam and a long range needlegun when they're availible)
--2 Bazooka's(first minipod-rockets, then as last a scrouge missle)
--2 Flamethrowers (when the enemy get's close)

i was thinking more
basic mg/rifle type
ATg/sniper type
TAr/AAm
if your talking about flamers, they are just going to be, run over rather then shot, like the scavs.
though i like your squads idea. i guess it could be 1 squad = 10 men, 10 men = 1 unit, in the unit count, to make them worth while.
implementing that could automatically make the scavengers more..... interesting.

id be careful with the garrison function though, as much as c&c may be fun... its not wz2100.
so even if the devs are nice enough to it them in, they would have to be in a wz way.

heck id like to see the deployment formations from something like empire earth used, but since they are looking for someone to code for that kind of thing, im guessin it aint easy.

---------------------------------------

id like to be able to pause & alt+tab in & out of the game without the game... breaking ???
not sure what it is but the screen goes orangy/yellow when i do it by accident.

i got a question too.
can specific bodies got their own components?
eg, python/mantis/tiger get their own track or vtol designs?
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

I had the idea of infartry too. And it looks like infartry should have been placed in the game, since in lots of weapons descriptions you can read "Effective against infartry", especially in MG weapons. At first, i thought that "Infartry" was supposed to be Scavangers' infartry, but since "Effective against infartry" is in, for example, the assault gun, which you get when scavangers are already gone, i think that infartry was supposed to be used by players too.
Coincident
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Coincident »

doom3r wrote:And it looks like infartry should have been placed in the game, since in lots of weapons descriptions you can read "Effective against infartry", especially in MG weapons.
As far as I know, the currently existing Cyborgs classify as infantry.

HCN-Trooper most of your ideas are pretty good, except maybe this last one about the Walker propulsion, which I don't particularly like.
This really doesn't feel like warzone anymore.

Each and every propulsion featured in the original game has it's pro's and cons:
Wheels are cheap and fast but very weak.
Tracks are very strong but slow and expensive
Half-Tracks are the average among those two; not very slow, not very expensive, not very weak either.
Hovers can drive thru watter, fast but expensive.
VTOLs can fly anywhere on the map, very fast but expensive and weak.

What new advantage would the 'feet' bring to the game that isn't featured above?
Last edited by Coincident on 20 Dec 2007, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
HCN-Trooper
Trained
Trained

Post by HCN-Trooper »

Coincident:  What new advantage would the 'feet' bring to the game that isn't featured above?

i suggested to make this propulsion as:
-Most expensive
-Always same speed (when going up or down a slope)
-Slightly slower than wheels
-One more (LIGHT weapon, largest gun possible: light Cannon like weapon)weapon fitting, underneath the "Head"
-Only for Heavy and Super heavy bodies

and, for the fact that it would look like Star wars:
Doesn't anyone ever played Tiberian Sun(or any other CnC Game)?
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

i have c&cTFD.
those games are c&c games.
last i looked, Warzone2100, was not a C&C title.

if you used a seperate design system for mechs like the one in front mission 3 or 4, it could by a proper addition.
matrix'esk mechs for axample, could fit the wz2100 ethetic.
slow, expensive, but multiple (4-6) guns, moving through a battlefield could have use.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

matrix-esque mechs aren't exactly battle efficient... they use the same control system for movement and weapons control, which means that any one time they're either sitting ducks or defenseless. they obviously have adequate technology to have been able to leg-movement-detection for propulsion control, but then again, unlike in warzone, they didn't have much room to manuever anyways, and staying in one place worked fairly well, as their enemy displayed a complete lack of tactical competency.

however, without some minimal protection, a human foot soldier with a modern (or better) rifle could probably waste the pilot of a matrix-style mech without the slightest difficulty, though if given a few light sheets of small-arms-resistant full coverage armor, the situation would be completely reversed, assuming that the human wasn't able to outflank the mech.
Last edited by kage on 21 Dec 2007, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

kage wrote: matrix-esque mechs aren't exactly battle efficient... they use the same control system for movement and weapons control, which means that any one time they're either sitting ducks or defenseless. they obviously have adequate technology to have been able to leg-movement-detection for propulsion control, but then again, unlike in warzone, they didn't have much room to manuever anyways, and staying in one place worked fairly well, as their enemy displayed a complete lack of tactical competency.

however, without some minimal protection, a human foot soldier with a modern (or better) rifle could probably waste the pilot of a matrix-style mech without the slightest difficulty, though if given a few light sheets of small-arms-resistant full coverage armor, the situation would be completely reversed, assuming that the human wasn't able to outflank the mech.
i wasnt referring to how they moved, how effective they would actually be or their scale, but rather the post apocalyptic technical aesthetic of their design.
as IMHO starwars, TA or C&C shouldn't sources of real aesthetic design inspiration for WZ which id like to see the game keep its "feel" even with new content. ALSO, using the current bodies for this would be... ugly at best... really).

if they where re-done to look as though they had armour, they COULD possibly be useful as multi weapon carrying brutes.
give them body/torso sizes equivalent to the classes of tank bodies, but vertical. then 3, 5 and 7 turret mounting points respectively.
then, as much as they could carry heavy fire-power to part of the map. massive cost + slow speed would mean it would be hard to use them in many circumstances. but beneficial in others where sheer brute fire-power was wanted.
Last edited by psychopompos on 22 Dec 2007, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
whalefsh
Greenhorn

Post by whalefsh »

kage wrote: matrix-esque mechs aren't exactly battle efficient... they use the same control system for movement and weapons control, which means that any one time they're either sitting ducks or defenseless. they obviously have adequate technology to have been able to leg-movement-detection for propulsion control, but then again, unlike in warzone, they didn't have much room to manuever anyways, and staying in one place worked fairly well, as their enemy displayed a complete lack of tactical competency.

No mech is efficient really.  They're far too unstable to be of any real use, compare the centre of gravity on a mech to a tank and you'll see the problem.

They are cool though.
mongoose
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mongoose »

My one wish for wz: A stable version that allows multiple turrets on heavy bodies.
As for walkers, I think they should be slower but less-armoured than tracks, be bi-pedal (or maybe more legs for different bodies), able to wade and bypass tank traps. Drill tanks were a fun part of TS and would probably fit in quite well with the post-apocalyptic atmosphere of wz. The Drill could be a weapon or systems turret (probably systems as it sort of makes more sense but weapon would allow for additional firepower) and could be a weapon in itself, maybe a hardcrete-buster. As said before, VTOLs need a dedicated AA strike tower and weapons to match.
.........................................I like Gauss Cannons.........................................