suggestions

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

suggestions

Post by Bethrezen »

hi all

i know you don't like to mess with the campaign to much but i got a couple of suggestions

first off pepper pots personally I'm of the opinion you get these way to late in the campaign and as a result there more or less obsolete as soon as you get them so id like to suggest moving somewhere before you get the howitzer and ripple rockets this would at least allow the pepper pot be useful for a few levels before being super seeded I'd them move the hellstorm howitzer to where you get the pepper pots this seems a little more logical placement for them as the level i question is the first time they appear in the campaign

also would it be possible to add the wide spectrum tower to the campaign say on gamma 1 i think by that time you should have already learned to build all the other towers so combining them in to 1 towers is the next logical step

what about adding the heavy repair turret as well because the current one is just to underpowered to keep heavy units up

a few other suggestions could the range of the construction beam on builders be extended so that when you have multiple builders working on a small building like a turret they don't keep getting in each other way and getting trapped

also i know its been suggested before but would it also be possible to allow sensor towers to give orders like you can with the mobile one because right now any units that's attached to a sensor tower is uncontrollable unless you detach it i feel this is incorrect behavior while it should still act like that by default the player should be able to select that tower and give orders to any of the attached units without having to detach first

also i know this one might be a bit of a biggie but can we please get the pathing of units fixed because it wides me up no end when you get units passing in opposite directions and there to bloody stupid to drive around each other and end up causing a massive traffic jam or they end up getting stuck on scenery and while I'm on the subject of pathing one other thing I'd dearly love to see fixed is the inability to stop units moving

for example when you have 22 units attached to a commander and you tell them to guard a specific area if there isn't alot of space they wont stop moving because one units bumps into another causing it to move and then that bumps into another and another so on and so on and after about 5 min's the group of units have move from where you told them to guard becaue they seem to need so much space between them this is irritating as hell

it would also be nice to have a "stop doing what ever unrequested thing it is that you are doing and follow orders NOW!" button because units in warzone have the irritating habit of countermanding instructions like when there set to retreat when badly damage most of the time this is fine but if this happens behind enemy lined the retreating units has the habit of driving into enemy guns and getting killed and when ever you try to override the retreat command and to make it retreat in the opposite direction it wont obay and the only way to deal with this is to switch off the retreat command and set them to do or die and then send them back manually which defeats the purpose of having an automatic retreat when damage command
rockachu2
Greenhorn

Re: suggestions

Post by rockachu2 »

this probably goes under the 'improve AI' and the option for cancel orders would be nice, but don't they cancel orders when you do not queue them? If they don't the AI should be fixed.
I go as Silver online.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

hi

my issue with units not following orders is to do with actions which are activated automatically under specific circumstances like for example the retreat when damaged command

now presently when that triggers it causes the unit to return for repair trouble is as i have explained before this automated command keeps overriding my control of the unit so if they are retreating in to enemy fire i cant override the retreat command and make the units retreat in the opposite direction this is bad design the players orders should always supersede automated actions

another issue i find is units moving when i haven't ordered them to move this is most prevalent when you have a lot of units in a confined space the units wont just move to position and stop and as a result over time this can cause them to move off target so for example i send a group of units to guard a narrow pass but because there isn't enough room for the units to spread out the units keep bumping in to each other causing a continual chain reaction which eventually results in units moving away from the position that i sent them to guard a good example of this is on beta 7 i think it is the level where you have to take out the satellite uplink normally I'll park a group of units as the base of the ramp leading down from the collectives base unfortunate there isn't a lot of space to park units there so as a result i have to continually order them back on target through out the level because they simply wont stay still where i ordered them to go

one other oddity i have noticed is units simply doing things which i didn't tell them to do for example i'll select a group of units and tell them to move up to an enemy position and some how a unit which i didn't select will move up to where thoughts units are and its like WTF ?!?! what the hell are you doing up here i didn't tell you to move here now I'm not sure if this is just a case of a bug causing units to not be properly de-selected when selecting other units or what but what ever the cause its annoying when units start doing things which i didn't tell them to do

now this one i know for a fact is a bug scanner units and possibly other units ignoring the hold position command and again doing things which i didn't tell them to do

warzone its a good game but the command and control system needs some work because one of my biggest frustrations with this game is when i have to spend as much time fighting my own command and control system as i do my opponent due to various bugs or shortcomings of the system
PZI
Greenhorn

Post by PZI »

Bethrezen wrote:my issue with units not following orders is to do with actions which are activated automatically under specific circumstances like for example the retreat when damaged command

now presently when that triggers it causes the unit to return for repair trouble is as i have explained before this automated command keeps overriding my control of the unit so if they are retreating in to enemy fire i cant override the retreat command and make the units retreat in the opposite direction this is bad design the players orders should always supersede automated actions
Actually I believe the "Retreat at X health" command triggers every time the tank in question is hit while having X or less health.
You can regain control of the unit after the retreat command is triggered and move it elsewhere, but if it comes under fire the retreat command will trigger once again. Applying this mechanic while your unit is under constant firing (see machineguns) should explain why units do not follow your orders (you're getting constantly overridden by the retreat trigger).

About the direction, units always go to the closest repair bay (or to HQ-LZ if no repair bays are present) using the shortest path, so if you lead an attack group to the farthest side of an enemy base and attack, it is likely for your units to cross the entire base while retreating because of your base being on the other side, a sure death in most cases if the constant retreat trigger is taken into account. As a workaround consider bringing a truck with your forces and ordering him to build repair bays close to the attack point. This way, you will have quicker repairs, more unit control, and tanks will not rush mindlessly into enemy defences trying to reach a faraway base ;).

A possible solution to this issue I can think of game-mechanic-wise could be an option in the pause menu which defines how many seconds a unit ignores automatic retreat triggers after being selected, though I am unaware of how complex the coding of this feature would be (especially because of it being ingame).
sipendr
Greenhorn

Analysis of enemy fire power

Post by sipendr »

When the enemy outnumbers our forces, its better to retreat then to suffer losses and come back for repair on medium/heavy damage.
There can be introduced a new technology which calculates the combined firepower and enemy resistance within the range of the sensor tower/turret and informs the enemy status to the commander.
The user can toggle between the choice of retreating as manual or automated by the commander on the feedback provided by the analyzed data collected by the sensors.
dr evil
New user

Post by dr evil »

The Wide Spectrum Sensor is too close to the Satellite Uplink in the Tech Tree. So there is no much use. The Wide Spectrum Sensor should be made available earlier. Thx!
This is a Good Day to Die.
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

DEsignable structures thats what i want...
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G