Artillery-Spotting UAVs

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
JakeGrey
Trained
Trained

Artillery-Spotting UAVs

Post by JakeGrey »

Self-explanatory, really. They could require a command relay post and a VTOL factory, and come in regular sensor and radar-detector flavours. Extreme flimsiness would be the easiest way to balance them.

I'd do this myself as a mod if I could make 3D models, actually.
LZ compromised
Trained
Trained

Re: Artillery-Spotting UAVs

Post by LZ compromised »

Interesting concept, and it'd make sense if anything actually required a command relay post (instead of it being a research-and-forget building), but what can a UAV boast compared to CB radars? CBs are tougher, don't require two buildings, don't get shot down by enemy AA and can detect artillery for 80-something tiles.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
—Bill Cosby
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Command relay center is necessary to design and build commanders.

UAVs dispell Fog of War & provide Intel across the board for Command & Control in a C41 dynamic schema of maneuver on multiple velocity fronts... They are neither readilly detected or shot down by AA - at least in RL especially in the case of MUAVs. That said, I was told disdainfully a number of years back by one of the grand poo-bahs that any such UAVs in WZ was rather silly, inapproriate in a "fun" game & that nobody really gave a chit about stuff like that.. In general anything related to evolving GPMs must reside in a ghetto of attrition relative to attending the making of surface appearances more up to current standards of "brilliance". That's the unmistakable bias in currency.

Then again WZ is FOSS & anyone is free to modify as they choose & play it the way they want. I can also tell you from experience the grand poo-bah was wrong on all counts vis-a-vis UAVs... ;)

- RV :hmm:
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 26 Dec 2010, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
JakeGrey
Trained
Trained

Post by JakeGrey »

@LZ compromised: You misunderstood my use of the term of 'artillery spotting'; they're supposed to act as target spotters for artillery. Sort of like sensor-turret VTOLs, except smaller.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

@jakegrey : there was a an 1.12 update ( also in 1.11 ) original. that did have spotter vtols... only problem with them was they needed to land to actually "spot" anything...

if your wanting to spot any thing - use your vtols in the patrol mode - you can turn off the weapons - so all they do is patrol, or, use em as patrol / defensive / ambush mode... they will go after any and all units they encounter... ( this is my :twisted: favourite mode . . . especially against enemy vtols and trucks. )
JakeGrey
Trained
Trained

Post by JakeGrey »

I set them to circle rather than patrol. But I'm pretty sure the regular sensor turret can target things while moving, or could be modded to do so, so it could still work the way I have in mind; we'd just have to live with remembering not to order them to target a specific building or unit.
TVR
Trained
Trained

Post by TVR »

Eventually, I will remove the requirement for dedicated spotters in my mod for wz2100.

If you detect the target on the map, you'll be able to directly order your artillery to bombard the area, or any other arbitary location in the fog-of-war.
CinC
Trained
Trained

Post by CinC »

I think the idea of an UAV is not that bad. I like the idea of a cheap aerial recon unit (or maybe something like a aerial commander for VTOLs. They attack when the UAV set the target). I guess the landing issue could be solved by a simple script which forbids the UAV to land, or you take original script and change that so, that the part of landing will be skipped. :hmm:
JakeGrey
Trained
Trained

Post by JakeGrey »

Another option occurs to me, and that's changing the behaviour of VTOLs with turreted weapons so that they circle their target whilst keeping the turret trained on it instead of making strafing runs.