artillery toggle button

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
meeso
Trained
Trained

artillery toggle button

Post by meeso »

I have discussed in another topic (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7179#p75157) the problems which arise from mortars firing automatically at enemy units which might sometimes lead to mortars firing at friendly units as well and other friendly structures and mortars, etc. So i think it would be a good idea to assign a button (such as ctrl+m ... m for mortar) to toggle mortar fire on and off. this would bring these artillery weapons more strategic use and allow players to protect their own units from mortar fire; after all it is not really logical that mortars fire at either enemy or friendly units when they are in close combat together, just like vtol in real wars. This could also apply to ripples, howitzers and generally all artillery emplacements that are selected or assigned special key-button. So the button should switch between automatic firing and hold fire. The same should apply to sensors (turrets or towers) since now they also target enemy units automatically. But as soon as these enemy units move close to friendly units, the sensor guiding ground shakers for example will become lethal to these friendly units as well. The whole idea of uncontrollable automatic firing does not make sense to me!

What do you think?
Dalton
Trained
Trained

Re: artillery toggle button

Post by Dalton »

EDIT: Deleted
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

He's talking about mortar that can be lured at firing on your own building or unit. He don't want to toggle off the whole artillery like a mod, he ask fot a button to hold fire.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
LZ compromised
Trained
Trained

Post by LZ compromised »

I, for one, would be glad to see this happen. Aside from being safer for your own units, toggling stationary artillery off would make it possible to "hide" it from CB towers, since those can only pinpoint emplacements that fired at least once.

Then there's also an added bonus for me: just now in a mission I wanted a radar to guide only mobile artillery that followed it, but alas, the tank-mounted artillery couldn't get any kills because all the ground shakers, hellstorms and ripples on the map were auto-assigned to the mobile sensor and obliterated the enemy buildings. But that's a personal preference, very much an edge case and thus dismissable.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
—Bill Cosby