Improve behaviour of damaged tanks related to commander

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Improve behaviour of damaged tanks related to commander

Post by Asgorath » 12 Dec 2010, 00:42

Hello everyone,
I am playing Warzone with v2.3.6. I am currently in the campaign mission CAM_1C (= second mission with the "New Paradigm") and researched commanders. I prefer to use commanders and that´s why I relate my tanks with them. I also told my tanks (and commander) to return to HQ in case of heavy damage, because experienced units are very worthwhile.
As customary, "New Paradigm" is a strong enemy with advanced technology and thats why things got violent and some of my tanks were hit badly.

Normally, tanks with high damage should return to HQ. When they get damaged they start their way back. But when the commander engages a new target, the tank returns to attack the target as well. When the target is destroyed successfully, the tank starts it´s way back to HQ until the commander engages a new target and so on. I often do a fallback to enable my damaged units to return to HQ. If my commander is out of fight and everything is peacefull, damaged tanks show the pleasure to return to HQ.
But once they reach HQ, they turn around, heavily damaged, and return to the position of the commander (although I don´t move him!). After returning from HQ to commander (which takes it´s time...), they stay with him and my mobile repair units are able to do their job. Until the next encounter begins...

But I can´t relinquish the command to return in case of heavy damage because likely I do have 3 commanders in order to have a powerfull army. I engage the enemie with all 3 commanders at the same time so I cannot watch every single tank.
I used my flickr-account to upload a picture, showing a tank reaching the HQ and turning around for returning to it´s commander: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41007785@N ... /lightbox/
(Ignore messages on top of the screenshot, I was just searching for the right button to make a screenshot :D).

My suggestion would be to set priority for returning to HQ in case of damage higher than the command of a commander, if that is possible (seen from technical aspects).
I also attached my current savegame, feel free to test it on your own.

With friendly regards
Asgorath
Attachments
Asgorath Kampagne Play.rar
See above ;)
(649 Bytes) Downloaded 31 times

LZ compromised
Trained
Trained

Re: Improve behaviour of damaged tanks related to commander

Post by LZ compromised » 14 Dec 2010, 00:08

As far as your suggestion goes, it sounds solid.

For now I can offer you two immediate solutions:
1). When your tanks get damaged and start retreating, hit Ctrl+D. It will select all units with health below 50% (red). If you then order them to move anywhere, they should get disconnected from any commander they were assigned to. In other words, micromanage.
2). Make some repair stations! You get to research them in the same mission, and fairly early. If any station exists, tanks retreat to it instead of HQ, and conveniently return back on their own when restored to full health.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
—Bill Cosby

Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath » 14 Dec 2010, 00:29

LZ compromised wrote:As far as your suggestion goes, it sounds solid.

For now I can offer you two immediate solutions:
1). When your tanks get damaged and start retreating, hit Ctrl+D. It will select all units with health below 50% (red). If you then order them to move anywhere, they should get disconnected from any commander they were assigned to. In other words, micromanage.
2). Make some repair stations! You get to research them in the same mission, and fairly early. If any station exists, tanks retreat to it instead of HQ, and conveniently return back on their own when restored to full health.
Wow, I didn´t know that, neither 1 nor 2. Thanks for that!! :wink:
I will do so until a permanent solution is found.

Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone » 14 Dec 2010, 01:08

You'll be fine with number 2! ;)

I was thinking of your problem and couldn't remember that the tanks behave like that. BUT I always build the repair turret as soon as I get it, so I never had this problem! :D
Manjaro XFCE / Intel Core i7 6700 / 32GB RAM / NVidia GTX1050Ti

Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath » 15 Dec 2010, 14:51

Powzone wrote:You'll be fine with number 2! ;)

I was thinking of your problem and couldn't remember that the tanks behave like that. BUT I always build the repair turret as soon as I get it, so I never had this problem! :D
I will do so, but unfortunately this method doen´t fix the main problem: :augh:
Asgorath wrote:When they get damaged they start their way back. But when the commander engages a new target, the tank returns to attack the target as well.

coppercore
Trained
Trained

Post by coppercore » 23 Dec 2010, 00:12

What version are you using? I do know that in 3.0beta4 units will stay attached to commander but run back to a repair facility, then happily trek back and keep on shooting.

I haven't messed with 2.6.3 though, but I don't remember seeing this behavior before.

Oh, are you ordering the commander to attack a specific target or is it just picking targets on its own?

Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath » 23 Dec 2010, 01:48

coppercore wrote:What version are you using?
Asgorath wrote:I am playing Warzone with v2.3.6.
coppercore wrote:Oh, are you ordering the commander to attack a specific target or is it just picking targets on its own?
both - I often choose a specific target but with 3 commanders attacking at the same time it´s difficult to select targets by myself always.