Multiplayer Lobby

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Ildradil
Greenhorn

Multiplayer Lobby

Post by Ildradil »

Hi all!

Have played warzone now for few months, and have some ideas, how to make multiplayer much better.

First of all, multiplayer lobby needs chat, and a list of online players.

Second is that when host leaves game, it will automatically transfered to an another player, so game can continue. And if someone leaves game, his allies can control his army then.

Because its so annoying that you join game. Host starts, and maybe quits in few minutes, so its so boring that someone wastes your time.

I dont know how to fix these problems (im not coder) But just wanted to tell you that we are in need of few features.

Your

Ildradil

Ps. When are you going to update ubuntu version repositorys?
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: Multiplayer Lobby

Post by JDW »

Ildradil wrote:First of all, multiplayer lobby needs chat, and a list of online players.
There is something of that sort, it's an IRC Channel where people can meet and setup games, here's the link
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=warzone2100-games

Same link is on the main webpage http://www.wz2100.net in the Community section at the bottom.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Second is that when host leaves game, it will automatically transfered to an another player, so game can continue. And if someone leaves game, his allies can control his army then.
Technically impossible. The whole IP level communication happens through the host machine, and thus you don't need an external IP to join the game. But if the only one who has an external IP is the host, then there's no way guests can keep talking to each other when the host leaves. That's why nothing like this is possible before some sort of dedicated game server is developed, which seems to be a lot of work. Host's leaving should be thought of as a server shutdown.

Also, there's no correct way to transfer host's units and money (which one of his allies should take them??) or choose another host (how to pick the substitute??).
Ildradil
Greenhorn

Post by Ildradil »

Josh, i know, but it will still be better that its on multiplayer lobby. But must use irc then.

Hao: okay, didnt know that, its impossible.
I think in wesnoth when host or someone else quits he can choose for which player he is going to transfer hes allies! :)
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

hao wrote:Technically impossible.
Not impossible, but a lot of work.
Also, there's no correct way to transfer host's units and money (which one of his allies should take them??) or choose another host (how to pick the substitute??).
Those are two problems. A dropped player should just become inactive imo (or maybe be able to reconnect, I guess that would need some kind of player authentication though). Host selection should be completely transparent to the players, if it's possible to change hosts, the game could autoselect the one that seems best connected instead of the one opening the game.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Ildradil, you might be interested in this guys personal project: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4512
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
meeso
Trained
Trained

Post by meeso »

Ildradil wrote: I think in wesnoth when host or someone else quits he can choose for which player he is going to transfer hes allies! :)
true, in Wesnoth when a player quits, the game halts and the system asks you what do you want to do, and you can select between waiting for new human players to join, or allow AI to take the place of the missing player, which is nice because the game is at least not entirely spoiled. But of course, Wesnoth is not a real time strategy game. but one that progresses turn by turn. I don't know whether these features can work on a real time strategy game in respect to technicalities of programming and coding, and if they're possible how exhausting they would be to actually implement.

However, unfortunately the current system of the multiplayer lobby is full of abuses, for example, all the power that is given to the host, in dropping the host as soon as they realise that they're for about to loose, or actually kick players any time during the game, and this is not to mention all the problems which arise from cheating that is soooo current in warzone. And these are sometimes really discouraging to the extent that they might cause newcomers to hate the game :( so i personally advice new players to play more with AI and learn from these games so that they can later join the lobby with more understanding, and at least to be able to know when they lost because the other player was cheating and not because they are "so bad in this stupid game"!

But yes, playing wesnoth, or simply, chess, online, is a lot more encouraging since there are neither cheats nor host-superpowers. I hope this can in any way be the case in WZ one day. Still, WZ is best realtime strategy game ever invented! ;)
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I don't know whether these features can work on a real time strategy game in respect to technicalities of programming and coding, and if they're possible how exhausting they would be to actually implement.
There are more major problems than "realtimeness". They are in the very client-server model warzone2100 currently uses. There's no guarantee that there exists a player that actually *can* host the game, apart from the host who has this ability for trivial reasons.
P.S. Yeah, i like the chess too. It's hard to cheat here (:
Ildradil
Greenhorn

Post by Ildradil »

I know old topic... But i have new ideas.

IF someone have resources and time and skills, hear me.

Cause im not very experienced on computers i try to say it like i thought.

Set up a server computer (or something), and then an option that on outsider can host the game without playing. So then there is always atleast one game. And when game is full it starts, and then there is no problem that host quits.

Then it goes this way:

Observer ( a automated server computer which hosts games itself)

player 1
player 2
and so on.

I know its hard to do but i think im still able to say my ideas. That would make wz even more better and more fun to play :)
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Ildradil wrote:Set up a server computer (or something), and then an option that on outsider can host the game without playing. So then there is always atleast one game. And when game is full it starts, and then there is no problem that host quits.
Your idea would certainly help gamers who aren't able to host due to port mapping issues. The first player to join the room gets the authority of a "psuedo" host. The presence of the actual host may not even be required after he launches the game into remote-controlled hosting mode. He could leave the server running all day long and so when a game ends, a new game is automatically rehosted for another gamer to join and host.

Although, it would be a shame if the person running the server felt like playing a game when there is already a game running on his server. I guess he wouldn't mind waiting for his turn. :P

I wonder if the server hosting a game like this without having any graphics displayed on the server would make the game run without lags for everyone else. :hmm:
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Ildradil
Greenhorn

Post by Ildradil »

Yea thats the problem, i'm not experienced so i cant know the problems about that project. And i dont even know the requirements for hardware etc. I could MAYBE get low level hardware, but in software im totally out.

E: Is there a possibility to make some kind of signup/login system. So you must first log and after that u can play. Today i again played against a cheater. Its so stupid that they waste your time like 5 minutes and then come with Haxed tanks.

I think registering might help a little for that or am i wrong? also ranks would be easier maybe...

You people might wonder why im saying these, but yes, the games is in good mood imo, but lobby and other need big upgrades.
brakenfur
Trained
Trained

Post by brakenfur »

about what your sayong about having to register to play mutliplayer for the master versons you have to log in with your forum account i wonder if we could implet that with the 2.3.9 with everyone plays
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

brakenfur wrote:about what your sayong about having to register to play mutliplayer for the master versons you have to log in with your forum account i wonder if we could implet that with the 2.3.9 with everyone plays
This has been experimented with in the master releases. However, I think it's all going to be undone. Not sure why though. Some sources say that it hasn't been working as expected.
-- Ambrose Bierce
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

JDW wrote:
brakenfur wrote:about what your sayong about having to register to play mutliplayer for the master versons you have to log in with your forum account i wonder if we could implet that with the 2.3.9 with everyone plays
This has been experimented with in the master releases. However, I think it's all going to be undone. Not sure why though. Some sources say that it hasn't been working as expected.
it does not work for some people. period. end of sentence. if this was a smack at the cheaters out there... it didn't work. :annoyed:
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

JDW wrote:Not sure why though.
It has problems, and at the moment nobody to fix them, so it'll probably be reverted for now, and redone at some point.
We want information... information... information.