IDEA: Tunnels

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: IDEA: Tunnels

Post by JDW »

MetalWarrior95 wrote:Yesterday...
Yesterday? So have you tried the 3.0 Beta1 , or the master-20102410 versions?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

aubergine wrote:So you're basically saying E2150 looks nicer than WZ2100? There's a lot of UI work going in to WZ v3.0 which is making it look much nicer. A lot of the graphics are still from the original release many years ago, which is why they look dated, but over time they will get better. Remember that WZ is now an open source project so people are just working on it in their spare time, they aren't getting paid to work on it 8+ hours day like commercial games.
Earth 2150 has it's issues...for instance it's rather awkward selection system, instead of a box in the air it's a grid on the ground, which is rather obnoxious. (By default it's not even diagonal, I mean what?)

And while the UI isn't bad, the UI in Warzone 2100 is far superior (to most RTS games, in fact). Very clean and efficient.
MetalWarrior95
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalWarrior95 »

Well Pumpkin Studios or later Pivotal games...They first made Warzone 2100 and only strategy game and other games were Conflict franchise that sucked mostly except Vietnam one!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

While Reality Pump studio had Earth 2140 that they worked for 2 years and released in 1997 & 2001(For Amiga) and it was for:
Amiga, DOS, Microsoft Windows, Macintosh

Earth 2150 trilogy was released 1 game each year from 2000 to 2002 for OS"s:
Microsoft Windows, Mac OS

World War III: Black Gold was released in 2001 and it was for OS"s:
Microsoft Windows

Knightshift 2 was released in 2002 and i dont know for what OS"s was released!

Earth 2160 was released in 2005(retail) and 2006(Steam) and it was for OS"s:
Microsoft Windows

Two Worlds I was released in 2007 for OS"s:
Microsoft Windows,Xbox360

Two Worlds II was released in 2010(In europe for now) for OS"s:
Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
As you can see you can swallow your pride if you dont stick the type of game as was your first game or you will get swallowed!
Il crush you!If i get crushed,il crush you twice stronger!!If you crush me again,then il blow up your PC!!
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

@MetalWarrior95 : It seems to me that you're avoiding my question,
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:So have you tried the 3.0 Beta1 , or the master-20102410 versions?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Yihka
Greenhorn

Post by Yihka »

Hmmm,

Even though I think an tunnel system is nice I am not sure if it would fit. But hey, if they are making bridges then tunnels should be possible too!

I have played E2150 and Warzone 2100 and I like both games. In E2150 the tunnel system is a second "map" which you can access by making an entrance. entering this entrance ( well actually it was an elevator ) would bring your unit underground.

But warzone and E2150 both have their own style and it would be no fun if warzone would use the same concept, would it?

I guess just making a hole through a mountain would be nice enough.

It would totally add a special "drill" you have to use to go through it ;)
MetalWarrior95
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalWarrior95 »

Well teleports from UCS would be nice :D
Il crush you!If i get crushed,il crush you twice stronger!!If you crush me again,then il blow up your PC!!
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

MetalWarrior95 wrote:Well teleports from UCS would be nice :D
IMHO, the new Super Transports are much better suited for Warzone2100 than teleportation ever could be.
Last edited by JDW on 31 Oct 2010, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
-- Ambrose Bierce
R Hannay
Trained
Trained

Post by R Hannay »

If Warzone implements tunnels, it will also have to implement unit occlusion so you know where your units are ...

(click for larger)
Darkblade
Greenhorn

Post by Darkblade »

MetalWarrior95 wrote:Earth 2150 supported underground tunels...
Actualy there were like two maps,well its hard to explain.

In Earth 2150 you can switch from mission to hq and from hq to mission ultil you end mission and if you decide to switch from mission to hq or oposite the mission will not end and there will be still real time combat and that...

Earth 2150 is far supreme and it was released in 1999 (europe) and in 2000(America & Asia)...Anyway there are three Earth 2150 games,a trilogy!!It rocked!
Umm, where to start.

The tunnel system is less then a tunnel, it's more like a link to a whole different map.
One of the biggest problems with it is that its extremely prone to bottlenecking, making it hard to use it effectively
The teleporter that you mention is even worse. First of all, you need to make 2 teleporters, one in your base, and one where you want to teleport to. That takes way long to do, and then it is prone to be blown up. Also you need to power the damn thing, meaning you need to make a small base, something that doesn't help with a sneak attack. Then you need to teleport your army units ONE BY ONE, meaning it takes ages before a army is even there. And if it's not even enough, the enemy can use this teleporter to attack YOU. All in all the teleporter is useless just because it's way quicker, smarter and economical to just ride your tanks to the enemy.

Second part, the two bases thing. Its confusing as hell, and also prone to complications. Remember the Lunar campaign, where you need to keep that one unit alive? Woops, i left him in the mission map and ended the mission. Needless to say, the next mission was a instant fail. Awesome, not. Basically, the plan is fine, but its hard to pull off. I wouldn't call it a good point, also, this game also more or less has it implanted, so i doubt you ever played the campaign.

The mechs rather looked retarded, especially the two feet tank looked like it was moonwalking rather then moving forward.

I wouldn't say that earth 2150 is superior in any way, there are some good points like the lasers (they heat up your tank causing them to explode, instead of damaging) The ability to build trenches and limited ammo. One of the biggest problems i see is the imbalance between teams, the mission system, the fact that it's way too easy to get your units struck in the terrains and the uselessness of some things, like the tunnel system and the teleporter.
Wibble199
Trained
Trained

Post by Wibble199 »

MetalWarrior95 wrote:Anyway there are three Earth 2150 games,a trilogy!!It rocked!
Three, I only have heard about (and got :wink:) Earth 2150 and Earth 2160.
MetalWarrior95
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalWarrior95 »

Earth 2150 is a trilogy actualy...Three games...If you got all 3 of them then you have all games and actualy its complete game,like expansion packs but seperated.

Look at wikipedia,reality pump!