Faction ideas

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
macuser
Regular
Regular

Re: Faction ideas

Post by macuser »

Just wondering whether the devs are behind the idea of factions, as implementation will require a little bit of code to hook into with the mod since as of right now we have no way of only giving certain techs to certain factions which also don't exist yet.

so 2 things:

1. allow different players to have different tech trees
2. allow selection of said tech tree (faction) in multiplayer staging room

hopefully it won't take much code to implement :) and if it is implemented I can continue development of the factions.

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I've thought about the idea of factions. If I had free time, I'd implement them, maybe even as an official mod, but after that I'd have to see how people react before proceeding further.

Allowing different players to have different tech trees isn't too hard - it's something that's been on my to-do list for a while. It's easier to have them selected in-game than in the multiplayer staging area, though.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

perhaps as the first dialog that pops up when you enter the game (not staging room) - it asks what faction you want to be?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

macuser wrote:perhaps as the first dialog that pops up when you enter the game (not staging room) - it asks what faction you want to be?
Nah, I'm thinking something that doesn't require any new UI.

My idea is: First time you open the Research panel, you can research either "New Paradigm", "Collective", or "Nexus". Researching one of those will lock you into the research tree for that faction.

Another idea: At the start of the game, there are only three things you can build: Nexus HQ, New Paradigm HQ, or Collective HQ. You can only build other things after you've built one of those.
alto1234
Trained
Trained

Post by alto1234 »

it would make sense implementing factions if it was going to provide more variety of tactics in the game. except for... it won't. :zZz: at present, implementing factions would simply limit what kinds of units people can spam on high oil maps and would make low oil heavily prone to balance problems. with all conditions fair, and with no factions, no player has an uneven advantage over his opponent. please, just forget about factions, please. take warzone for what it is and improve upon that. if you want to have your clans, freewebs, and fanfictions please forget how to spell and kindly buy a copy of starcraft 2 instead of ruining the gem that is warzone.

this is all i have to say.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Overreaction much? We're talking about modding here. :P
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

alto1234 wrote:take warzone for what it is and improve upon that.
good idea i like it :P
alto1234 wrote: if you want to have your clans, freewebs, and fanfictions please forget how to spell and kindly buy a copy of starcraft 2 instead of ruining the gem that is warzone.
BUT i know this is just your opinion but clans don't ruin WZ or any other game, factions like was said, is just an idea for a mod.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Probably the easiest way to make factions is to give them different bodies. Project uses only project bodies, etc. Other factions' bodies can be recovered as artifacts.

Project bodies are average, NP bodies are fast and cheap and have better thermal armor, but less armor and hp, collective bodies have more armor and hp, but slow and heavy, nexus bodies ... well, maybe they should have much less hp but more armor and thermal armor (thus more useful against MGs and weak against ATs).

Sounds pretty easy for a mod*. Just a little tech tree rework, and giving different players different initial light body technologies. This may depend on base number or maybe even color (?)

_________
* though i think i've asked several times about how to change a tech tree in a mod, and no one replied ^^
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

sorry hao, maybe have each team use what they are known for as basic start up tech?

for example, project starts with mgs, so keep that. and collective have mostly cannons (well, they used them ALOT against me so they were the team i most remember having cannons.)
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Different startup techs sounds like a simple and effective way to create factions. I am sure we could add more distinguishing characteristics later on, but that alone would make them an interesting and worthwhile choice.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Great, now only one thing has too be coded for the mod to hook into:

1. locking the player into his faction choice
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

finished low poly version :) - 120 tris
Attachments
big bertha_low.png
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Pretty nice, but I have some suggestions:
-Barrel propably doesn't need a real hole in the muzzle, textures cover that one up nicely and you save quite many polys.
-You can propably also save some polys on the end cap of the recoil tube.
-Some kind of elevation adjustment mechanism sticking out of the recess would be nice.
-How are you going to prevent the ground from showing through? A simple solution would be simply adding a perfectly black floor making it appear as a deep recess.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

kk, jorzi I made those changes but I wanted to start on the texture. However I find that my windows computer (which I havent used for a while) does not boot up :( . I was wondering if you could possibly bake a normal, AO and height map for me? I can up-load the models for you too. THNX

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hi, I forgot to check out this thread for a while. Could you pm me about the models and I'll see what I can do...
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-