Beautiful Water

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
DRAAK
Trained
Trained

Re: Beautiful Water

Post by DRAAK »

Thank you so much for your responses and opinions!

j0shdrunk0nwar, right, I use both programs (Photoshop - in "Windows", and GIMP - in Linux). :wink:
I know that Gimp - cross-platform : -)

Ubermad, splashes - from another game. :P
marsbound2024
Trained
Trained

Post by marsbound2024 »

Water effects like that would be spectacular, I must say. I do believe that water is one of the bigger graphical shortfalls of the game in its current state.
DRAAK
Trained
Trained

Post by DRAAK »

marsbound2024, Yeah, right.
Сurrent water in WZ just texture. Other textures, no more than evolution. Need a "revolutionary new" - the geometric water. Then it would be really cool.

Samples:

GLSL water
Ocean Water Prototype
3D Ocean Scene - (this very very good)
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Speaking of water :) anyone here like Bloody Mary drink too ?? :)

And seriously :)

Very interesting idea, it is amazing as different people pay attention to different things :)

I think the water will be improved step by step with new graphic advancement of the game :)

Somehow I like it as it looks now, but I am conservative (;
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
DRAAK
Trained
Trained

Post by DRAAK »

Merowingg wrote:...I think the water will be improved step by step with new graphic advancement of the game :)...
I hope...

We will see such picture( :wink: ):
Homecoming
Homecoming
zamaszysty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zamaszysty »

I think it's not that simple. I never seen ANY shine and reflexion effects in WZ 2100, so there is just NO such mechanism implemented in the game engine itself that would enable such things, but of course im not SURE of it :). Adding double texturing to everything in the game on the other hand is possible, and making the second textures containing only light maps (lumel data only) would propably do the trick for now. Unfortunately double texturing might affect game performance, and i'm affraid this would not be a minor performance decrease at all.

We can ALSO use the same effect as the one used by factories to (that one used to generate "steam") generate more dynamic "splashes" in the water with small flat object for the splash circle on the surface. Adding fade and some shrink effect to that simple flat object would propably be half way between what we have now and what you guys expect it to be.

Finally there is a matter of waves comming on and off the shore, so the water looks not that flat and calm. Maybe it could be done by adding different, animated texture to the water where it is shallow enough. I have no idea how to make it without just adding new blocks (new type of "map block") that are the same for water ( same way rendered) as the cliffs are for land, so it keeps tthose waves come in the right direction. (Notice that cliff textures also face the land vertical, and do not loose that direction to collapse into horizontal mash instead of vertical we have now)
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Adding double texturing to everything in the game on the other hand is possible, and making the second textures containing only light maps (lumel data only) would propably do the trick for now.
I didn't really understand it, but it sounds close to what we have in master builds now. At least, there are really two textures for water here.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

@zamaszysty: Current master has shininess and specular reflection. Although the specular reflection appears to make visuals worse, not better, so I am likely to turn it off soon by default.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Qiuck recipe for decent looking water using GLSL:
Animated normal map for waves.
Color ramp shader mapped to normal for sky reflection.
Hard specularity for sun reflection.
Semitransparent.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-