New feature: DROID'S SHIELD

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Wibble199
Trained
Trained

Re: New feature: DROID'S SHIELD

Post by Wibble199 »

Wow, genius.
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

~nods~ there are others using sonic resonance to screw up anyone (and im not sure WHY they thought someone would be crazy enough to...) who tries to get close to a tank
Wibble199
Trained
Trained

Post by Wibble199 »

Sonic resonance?
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

ever seen a vuvuzela? think of that... in a sound proof chamber... bouncing around getting worse and worse then getting shot at your face... (thats how it was explained to me)
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

by Zarel » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:48 pm
Ehh, more micromanagement. That's honestly one of the things I don't like about StarCraft. I'll add mod support for it, but it's not something I want in the game itself.
Zarel wrote:I meant eventually. It's not on my short-term to-do list. I haven't even figured out how they should be enabled. By unit-type, perhaps?

If its not on your short term todo list does that mean you are retracting mod support? ..I also note you have gone (Inactive) on forum...so I don't expect a reply...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Berg wrote:If its not on your short term todo list does that mean you are retracting mod support? ..I also note you have gone (Inactive) on forum...so I don't expect a reply...
...I said exactly what I meant. I'd do it eventually, after we've agreed on just what exactly we're looking for.

If you would like it in-game, you would be better off getting everyone to agree how just how they want shields to be implemented, rather than splitting hairs over something I said around a month ago.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Zarel wrote:If you would like it in-game, you would be better off getting everyone to agree how just how they want shields to be implemented, rather than splitting hairs over something I said around a month ago.
Your initial post was referring to what dydo asked for. So that is what I expected you to do.
I don't think dirtying the water with saying you don't know what's wanted is justifiable , You made it clear you understood on your statement you would enable mod support.
And saying you said it months ago don't change what you said!

Just from my point of view I was looking forward to some new innovation .
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Berg wrote:Your initial post was referring to what dydo asked for. So that is what I expected you to do.
DyDo's post was vague. My post was made under the assumption that it would be clarified.
Berg wrote:I don't think dirtying the water with saying you don't know what's wanted is justifiable , You made it clear you understood on your statement you would enable mod support.
And saying you said it months ago don't change what you said!
I made it clear I would enable mod support. I may have neglected the fact that I'd need to know what I'd enable mod support of, first, but you'd think that'd be pretty obvious.

Also, "slightly less than one month ago" isn't exactly the same thing as "months ago". It's a minor difference, sure, but you're basically holding me to technicalities about a statement I made a while ago to do something for free, which really isn't very nice.
Berg wrote:Just from my point of view I was looking forward to some new innovation .
So was I.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Zarel wrote: Berg wrote:Just from my point of view I was looking forward to some new innovation .

So was I.
OOO well I probably had foolish expectations .
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

Zarel wrote: DyDo's post was vague. My post was made under the assumption that it would be clarified.
I thougt my first post was quite clear, the fact shileds could be implemented in ways much different then the one I proposed is another thing.
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

DylanDog wrote:I thougt my first post was quite clear, the fact shileds could be implemented in ways much different then the one I proposed is another thing.
Your post was detailed. That's not exactly the same thing as "clear". :P In particular, you skipped some important details.

In particular, you have not specified how the shield would be activated. By a keyboard button? The right-click menu?
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

Zarel wrote: By a keyboard button?
yes, that would be the ideal way.
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

I finished reading the whole thread and I really like the idea about having shields implemented into the game.
I also do have an idea of how shields possibly could be implemented.
But some of you may dislike it because it will deal with micromanagement.

First of all it will be necessary to research "shields I" and after that "shield generator", like "DylanDog" I am thinking of a late T1-technology.
Once researched, every droid can be equipped with a "shield generator" in design menu.
I am thinking of an extra menu bar below the "vehicle turret" option with a symbol of a shield and then you can choose between "install" and "don´t install".
If you choose "install" droid will be more expensive and build time will increase.
When finished, droid will have an empty extra bar for the shields (like a protoss just without any more shields^^).

Now you have the option to activate shields manually by a keyboard button like Zarel suggests.
When activating the shields, a predetermined amount of energy will be removed. If you don´t have enough energy you can not enable shields.
I suggest that every time you activate shields 75 energy will be removed (per droid), shields go up to 100%.
Now like in StarCraft2 shields will be lowed by firing on the unit. The shields do not regenerate on their own! When they are down to 0% a cooldown (I know, micromanagement) of 2 minutes will start. After this two minutes shields can be reactivated (for X enery, of course ;)).

During the game I think it should be possible to research "shields II" or something like that to increase efficiency of shields.

I think this would make Warzone being much more tactical.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

shields are not a bad idea but if you are going to add shield tech to warzone I'd go a slightly different route I'd do shields similar to the way EA did shields for the scrin in C&C aka like an extra layer of Armour that blocks all damage from all weapons until a certain damage threshold is exceeded and the shield collapses and the units starts to take actual damage that requires you to go get repaired however over a period of inaction the shield would regenerate

I'd have the on bored shield generate come in 3 flavors light medium and heavy shields each would provide more protection however each would be increasingly expensive and would increase the build time as fitting a shield generator would be a highly specialized operation as to which shield could be fitted to a given unit thats would be dependent on the body that units was using so for example you couldn't fit heavy shields to a bug body because there isn't enough room in the body to fit the generator and the power plans isn't strong enough to power it you could however fit light/medium shields to a heavy body

id also have each type of shield generator add a certain amount of weight which would slow the unit proportionally which is why id also make shield generators an optional 4th tab under the units design tree so you would have body propulsion turret and shield generator (optional)

obviously you have to research shield generates first before you can start to build them you could also maybe require a 3rd module to be added to the tank factory to allow it to build units with shields equipped or maybe add a new building similar to the command relay center that allows you to research and build shields or both

also I'd have the amount of damage the shield can absorb and the rate at which it recharges be dependent on the power plant of the body so the shield generated by the better body's that have stronger power plants would be able to absorb more damage then lesser ones so for example the tiger heavy shield would be able to absorb more damage than the Python heavy shield as the tiger is a more advanced body with a better power plant

doing it this way is keeping with the way every other bit of tech in warzone works all you would need to do then is work out how much damage you want each shield to be able to absorb

maybe something like this
a bug light shield would give 600 points of damage absorption before it collapses
a viper light shield 800 points of damage absorption before it collapses
a leopard light shield would give 1000 points of damage absorption before it collapses
a Nexus light body would give shield 1200 points of damage absorption before it collapses

a scorpion medium shield would give 1400 points of damage absorption before it collapses
a cobra medium shield would give 1600 points of damage absorption before it collapses
a panther medium shield would give 1800 points of damage absorption before it collapses
a Nexus medium body would give shield 2000 points of damage absorption before it collapses

it also don't add any more micro management to the game beyond the initial setup that you do when you build your base and choose what research you want to do and keeps everything balanced as much as possible as well because of the increased cost/build time and the fact that it slows units with them equipped due to the extra weight and drain on the power plant

what ya think ?
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

While thinking about shields once again I had another thought, but this time it´s a slightly difficult question:
If you enable shields for droids only, wouldn´t that make defence structures being almost effectless?
I mean by adding shields to droids only you would need probably twice of defence structures to destroy the same number of droids.
That would be a great change of balance :hmm: