New feature: DROID'S SHIELD

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Re: New feature: DROID'S SHIELD

Post by Assault Gunner »

Or perhaps simply a permanent HP boost. Something to tank the damage, if you will.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

Umm... this sounds bad actualy a shield like this would have very little use to bother.Make it like HP bar,no silly timers,make by chance reflect 30% of kinetic and 50% of energy damage and make it usable on everything.Should be able to protect base from lassat. As for droids,give them a real solid shield in to other hand,make it 50% kinetic reflect only ^_^ LOL that would be sweet!
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

Zarel wrote:I'll add mod support for it, but it's not something I want in the game itself.
Can you please explain a bit how this "mod support" will work?
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

DylanDog wrote:Can you please explain a bit how this "mod support" will work?
Well, I guess first we'd need to decide what it does in the first place.
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

Zarel wrote:
Verin wrote:- its always "micro management" or "balance issues" I understand that but there is no issue with this-
Perhaps create a body/turret that will emit the shield, produce it just like any other body. max of 1 or 2 available. ( just like the trucks limit) i dont see how that would add to micro management, just send it along with an army or position it at a base.

Use what is already in the game, upgrade it just like any other weapon, and produce it like one also. The only thing that wil need to be done is fabricating the turret/body itself, and creating the limit of these units.

What is your response to that?

If you call designing the shield unit and producing it micromanagement, then your a really lazy player.
Erm, designing and producing a shield unit would not be micromanagement at all, but that's not what this thread is about. This thread is about a shield with a long cooldown disappears after a short time. You can feel free to start a new thread for a shield that doesn't disappear after a short time, but please do not derail an existing thread with off-topic discussion.

The problem with managing a shield with a long cooldown and a short activation period is that you either have to activate the shield manually (micromanagement), or the shield activates once the cooldown ends (in which case you'd have to micromanage it so that the cooldown ends right when you need the shield the most).
Ah, i misinterpreted the Op. I visualized a tank without a turret that constantly emitted a 3-5 range 40-70% damage reduction field. upgrades dependent on research.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

FYI, already implemented by the WZGM guys, and it looks awesome!
and it ends here.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Buginator wrote:FYI, already implemented by the WZGM guys, and it looks awesome!
Really? I thought they just implemented the graphics, not the mechanics behind it...
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

No, shields are fully implemented.
Bring back...ducks!
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

Buginator wrote:FYI, already implemented by the WZGM guys, and it looks awesome!
I do not understand this (who are WZGM guys??)...you mean the shield feature is already in the main warzone code but not used yet? it just needs to be somehow activated?
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

BlueMaxima wrote:No, shields are fully implemented.
Hmm. They're implemented as described here? That seems unlikely, since they're not exactly described very clearly here.
Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Post by Lancefighter »

i think the assumption is that shields work similarly to supcom (a personal shield merely is another layer of hp that recharges over time, and if it goes down it has to recharge fully before being active again)....

differentiated between a bubble shield in that a spherical shield is projected that stops bullets from going into the shield (one way) until its hp is gone, in which the entire bubble is down until it fully recharges..
Wulfkind
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wulfkind »

Zarel wrote:
BlueMaxima wrote:No, shields are fully implemented.
Hmm. They're implemented as described here? That seems unlikely, since they're not exactly described very clearly here.

Our code is freely available for anyone to look at on our project site, there is no need for lengthy forum descriptions as a picture is worth a thousand words.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

DylanDog wrote:I do not understand this (who are WZGM guys??)...you mean the shield feature is already in the main warzone code but not used yet? it just needs to be somehow activated?
Ditto.

Also - any time-table for implementing in the release binary ?

I like the mechanic & would better understand to take it into account with what I'm working on now especially on the balancing side, if possible.

- Thanks, RV :ninja:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

I do not understand this (who are WZGM guys??)
They appear to be a renegade band of coders, artists and general miscreants working from a secret base in low earth orbit. I can say no more.
You are correct, sir! Because the word 'micromanagement' appears NOWHERE in the description. BWAHAHAHAHA.

Simple description: total hit points are divided between the shield and the body (no change to stats or balance!) Shield takes initial damage from attack. When shield is gone, body points start to go. A damaged shield will quickly regenerate if not being attacked.

More details:
  • This code is not in Warzone trunk.
    Since it was done as proof of concept, research is not involved.
    It looks really cool!
If you can checkout and build Warzone trunk from svn, you can do the same with WZGM:

Code: Select all

svn checkout https://wzgraphicmods.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wzgraphicmods/tcmask/branches/berg-exp  wzgm
followed by the usual dance:

Code: Select all

./autogen.sh && ./configure &&  make
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Do you think it would be possible to create a unit that projects a damage reduction shield within a radius surrounding it? Obviously these shields wouldn't stack.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.