New feature: DROID'S SHIELD

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: New feature: DROID'S SHIELD

Post by JDW »

Was playing around with the forcefield graphics developed by the WZGM team, and I think it's just spectacular!!
Attachments
wz2100-20100805_200259-Sk-ThePit-T3.jpg
wz2100-20100805_195135-Sk-ThePit-T3.jpg
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I do not understand this (who are WZGM guys??)
stiv wrote:They appear to be a renegade band of coders, artists and general miscreants working from a secret base in low earth orbit. I can say no more.
:lol2:
Hmm. They're implemented as described here? That seems unlikely, since they're not exactly described very clearly here.
stiv wrote:You are correct, sir! Because the word 'micromanagement' appears NOWHERE in the description. BWAHAHAHAHA.

Simple description: total hit points are divided between the shield and the body (no change to stats or balance!) Shield takes initial damage from attack. When shield is gone, body points start to go. A damaged shield will quickly regenerate if not being attacked.

More details:
  • This code is not in Warzone trunk.
    Since it was done as proof of concept, research is not involved.
    It looks really cool!
If you can checkout and build Warzone trunk from svn, you can do the same with WZGM:

Code: Select all

svn checkout https://wzgraphicmods.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wzgraphicmods/tcmask/branches/berg-exp  wzgm
followed by the usual dance:

Code: Select all

./autogen.sh && ./configure &&  make
Thanks stiv. Informative, helpful... & funny. XD A rare combo and welcome departure from the usual (which I won't characterize).

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Was playing around with the forcefield graphics developed by the WZGM team, and I think it's just spectacular!!
Indeed ! Nice pics, too. :)

- RV :ninja:

Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

I don't think the still shots do them justice.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Safety0ff wrote:I don't think the still shots do them justice.
Definitely not, it's hard to catch the forcefields in action with screenshots. But in a live game they look really amazing.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Damn, I'd love to see that. It's cool enough with Immortal shields in SC2. Their shields pop up in this giant dodecahedron thingy. Probably more sides, though.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Post by Lancefighter »

Of random note, i thought the shielddrones from hw:c were really cool too >.>
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

Very nice! and i agree stills do no favors, cant wait until they are fully implemented!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

stiv wrote:Simple description: total hit points are divided between the shield and the body (no change to stats or balance!) Shield takes initial damage from attack. When shield is gone, body points start to go. A damaged shield will quickly regenerate if not being attacked.
Hmm, so they're like Protoss shields. Balance-wise, that's a pretty good idea.
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

stiv wrote:Simple description: total hit points are divided between the shield and the body (no change to stats or balance!) Shield takes initial damage from attack. When shield is gone, body points start to go. A damaged shield will quickly regenerate if not being attacked.
There is actually that one change to balance; that part of the health that can be regenerated. :P
Bring back...ducks!
Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Post by Lancefighter »

makes repairing units easier (read:less microintensive) both after a defense and on offence - takes time and effort that you generally dont have to repair a strike force near hostile territory.. So if anything, it increases the range that units can operate without needing to be recalled or dieing. (similarly to how increased speed of vtols, or increased armor of the collective bodies increases operating range as well)
Wulfkind
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wulfkind »

BlueMaxima wrote:
There is actually that one change to balance; that part of the health that can be regenerated. :P
Partially incorrect, the shields will only regen when the unit is not getting shot at, so the game balance is not affected in terms of unit versus unit.

The change potentially brings about a small change in balance in regards to the overall longevity of a unit, where before you'd need to research autorepair to get regen capabilities, now you get 50% of that while the unit is not engaged in combat for free. Once autorepair is researched, you have an overall effect of twice the repair rate (as the shields regenerate independently of the repair itself)

But since these changes are applied across the board to all units and the same rules apply in most situations, this should not be a detrimental change of balance.
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

stiv wrote:They appear to be a renegade band of coders, artists and general miscreants working from a secret base in low earth orbit.
stiv wrote:I can say no more.
You have said enough (in a fairly way though).
This link is what I looking for. There are so many projects, mods and add-ons around that it is easy to loose the orientation.

Back to the discussion: I understand that the shields regenerate quickly. If this is the case, I agree with Zarel this would increase too much the micromanagement (unless they are automatically turned on?) also this would not make them a feature to be used only in few cases but the shields would always be active, I would not like it.

I like the fact that shields have hitpoints but they should not regenerate until they are = 0. When the shield is not active anymore then it should not regenerate before few minutes are gone.
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

DylanDog wrote:Back to the discussion: I understand that the shields regenerate quickly. If this is the case, I agree with Zarel this would increase too much the micromanagement (unless they are automatically turned on?) also this would not make them a feature to be used only in few cases but the shields would always be active, I would not like it.
It is true that it would not be a feature only enabled in a mod and they are on all the time except when depleted after battle. If the unit survives that is. That is when they recharge.
Ehh, more micromanagement. That's honestly one of the things I don't like about StarCraft. I'll add mod support for it, but it's not something I want in the game itself. from Zarel
I can see that from what Zarel says its will be possible to add mod support go for that way of doing it, once enabled for mods it should be good to play with so no need to have it the way WZGM has done it, it was only an example.

When will Mod support for this be enabled Zarel? any time frame?
Last edited by Berg on 06 Aug 2010, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Berg wrote:When will Mod support for this be enabled Zarel? any time frame?
From my expirience of him saying he will do something: don't expect it soon.
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

How about just using shield for damage reduction?
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G