Perks

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Perks

Post by Zarel »

Lancefighter wrote:would it be possible to make research that denies other research?
Actually, that's exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned I was planning on making it possible to do with mods.
Lancefighter wrote:as for 'classes'.. what? explain?
Classes like in RPG games.

C&C 4 is the most high-profile RTS with classes.
Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Post by Lancefighter »

oh, rpg esque classes.. I was thinking nothing of that sort, imagine a paladin attempting to solo a heavy cannon python tracks.. >.>
never played c&c much honestly, i was thinking more along the lines of minor racial bonuses like age of empires or empire earth have..

honestly when youve got a game with a tech tree that can be compared to some grand strategy turn based games (see:space empires), i dont really think classes at all. classes might be something id think of in a short game.. but even then, you think more races (wh40k dawn of war style) then classes..

then again, i will grant that not many other games make a habit out of majorly changing the tech tree based on what you research (i believe master of orion was one of the few that did, and pretty much nothing since then..)..
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:C&C 4 is the most high-profile RTS with classes.
http://www.commandandconquer.com/media/ ... JAD-b3uSuS
Classes seem like it requires a lot of planning.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Post by Lancefighter »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:
Zarel wrote:C&C 4 is the most high-profile RTS with classes.
http://www.commandandconquer.com/media/ ... JAD-b3uSuS
Classes seem like it requires a lot of planning.
i was ok with most of what they said, until I saw the level up screen. Yeah, i know, old news, but level up? really? its a rts.. ah whatever.

Yeah, it seems .. from the short video, that they did different playstyles well enough.. but honestly i wouldnt call those 'classes'. Classes are for mages or warriors or rogues or paladins.. I was thinking more the advanced wars method of choose your general.. eh perhaps its just the name ive an issue with.

Oh yeah, and the part where you have to play the game to get to t2 and t3(equivalents). Imagine if you had to put 20 hours into a wz profile before you could even research t2 weapons....
Claydoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Claydoe »

OKAY! NOW I THINK I UNDERSTAND....
You just took to a step further, saying that, depending on the "perk", not only will certain structures, units, etc be better, but also give them new graphics and such... :hmm:
Is that right?
Sounds interesting... :hmm:

Still perks could do more.... :wink:
Design - Deploy - Destroy
DTSX
Trained
Trained

Post by DTSX »

This idea is very awesome. So each player decides beforehand what class they would be and their future research will change to it- but in conjunction with the whole Super Units topic, would it be possible to have one really strong unit be the culmination of all the hard work?

For example, Defense Focus would garner more defenses and attack for wall and points, but less for everything else. At the same time, you can build those super forts that show up late-game.

Perhaps Air lets you get the mobile VTOL pads that they were talking about before.
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

DUDE!!! research focus's would be awesome! i could imagine high tier team games 3v3 where on one team some ones got high tier defense > everything else, another with high tier VTOL > everything else etc etc, that would add so much more to a team strategy with each team member making up for a flaw in his or her team!
nodakbison2010
Greenhorn

Post by nodakbison2010 »

How about have tech drop packages spawned at random locations and if you say got the cannon pack (all cannons available for research) then no one else can use cannons unless they start destroying that person's factories and such.

This has many possibilities...The Cannon Pack, Missile Pack, Machine Gun Pack, Cyborg Pack, Nexus Pack (nexus weopons, rail guns, lasers, nexus turret) And make it so that whoever gets the tech only they have it until someone else takes it from them...seriously. (Oil effieciency upgrades, building upgrades,...doesn't have to be just weopons)

And if the game goes very long and say you didn't have all the techs then they are realeased...(say 30 min later you didn't get any new tech then say you don't have the cannon tech they start you off researching the light cannon and it starts from there)
Roux Le Corps
Regular
Regular

Post by Roux Le Corps »

i dunno about tech drops, but i do agree that taking tech from another team needs to be thought out a bit better, the random tech drops are... amusing, but having to re-research your old tech just to clear the tech tree gets a bit old :|
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

It gets old very fast.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

I dont know about all of you but here is what i would like to see.First the walls and defenses.Tower and in placements should be like units,designable.that means all you have to do is to design a tower(example) with out a weapon,then you add a weapon in design window just like to a unit and save the damn template.This would do wonders for the game and i just dont get it why devs dont even read this >_>.
and now to units.I would add internal modules to the bodies.you research a body then when making a template you should be able to add to it,lets say,heavy but strong armor or light but fast armor.There should be also many engine types to add like weak but fast or strong but slow that makes more power for your turret to fire faster.There are many other things you can add to make unit more powerful or weak... should be up to player.Heck, you can even add modules to factories like for example for faster production but the penalty it would use more of your power to make a unit.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
DTSX
Trained
Trained

Post by DTSX »

I really think that Perks shouldn't be so much as a completely different style of gameplay, but more of a tactical choice made before the player goes into a game. Of course, in multiplayer, no one is allowed to see what the other person chose.

Basically, let's say you're in the pre-game screen and next to the color choices, or right below the team number choice is a perk choice. Like VTOL, Infantry, Industry, Economy, etc... this would all change things by low percentages, but offer a fun gameplay choice- lets say you choose Industry (Pump out more units) then all units cost X% more energy, and similarly, Economy (More energy) will make units come out slower. If you got Infantry, then you'll have increased attack and defense of infantry, but decreased attack and defense of tanks...
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

thats is sooo.. too simple >_>, i want to be able to upgrade in game!
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Perhaps make the Research Module, Synaptic Link Research, Dedicated Synaptic Link, And Synaptic Link Research Brain improve the perks?
Heck, if this actually gets implemented, I'll probably script in some ridiculously imba upgrades for these classes towards the end of the campaign. After all, the only real way to learn to play MP is to play other players. Campaign is really to learn the controls and how to create units, etc.

Also, based on what he said:

Industry: Can produce two units simultaneously at any given factory(or just a build speed upgrade), but modules take much longer to add on, and they can only make 3 (4 maybe?) factories. Furthermore, units cost roughly 50% more, making it imperative that they have good power. Upgrades reduce additional unit cost.

Power: Gains power much faster. However, unit production and creation of power stations and modules is slowed.

Engineering: Structures build 20% faster (If you don't think this is an advantage, think about the ability to set up power, factories, everything in the beginning of a no bases game, and in a T3 game, the ability to set up forts AA and artillery quickly). However, structures cost 40% more.

Collective: 20% bonus to HP and armor, 10% reduction in speed. Max speed remains identical for a given propulsion, but more engine upgrades are required to reach it. Additional HP for defenses, but they cost more, though not as much more as they do for engineering.

Nexus:Ultimate technologies research faster, LasSat recharges slightly faster, and sensors gain range. However, everything costs more.

These are rough concepts, and I know that they aren't balanced.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Luigi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Luigi »

This would enhance the turret and the chassis.
:hmm:
I'M NOT A CHEATER!!!!