Host ability to limit artillery

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Verin
Trained
Trained

Re: Host ability to limit artillery

Post by Verin »

Zarel wrote:
Assault Gunner wrote:Thermal artillery. Longer range than most regular artillery and sensors.
Erm, thermal artillery is the exact same range as regular artillery, and way shorter range than rocket/missile artillery, which is what artillery spammers usually use.
Thats mainly what i want to limit, if you could do that without limiting shorter range artillery that would be best IMO
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Whups. Crud. Still, if you take out the sensor net, artillery becomes VERY easy to deal with. If they have a CB tower, then just use direct-fire weapons.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

Assault Gunner wrote:Whups. Crud. Still, if you take out the sensor net, artillery becomes VERY easy to deal with. If they have a CB tower, then just use direct-fire weapons.
I dont think you quite understand, using direct fire weapons to harm an artillery network is impossible. completely impossible. The towers sensor's range far surpasses any direct weapon range. Harming anything with artillery in the CB towers range via tank artillery is suicidal.

The only way to win is to overpower the artillery system itself using very strong tracked units in large numbers. Unfortunately there is a point where the artillery will always win because of the tank limit. That is why i propose an artillery limit. preferably long range artillery.
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Mmmm. But it is impossible to set up enough AA AND arty to prevent either tanks or VTOLs from working. In No VTOL games, artillery wars are what's gonna happen. Period. Unless a tankrush eliminates one team or most of it, There Will Be Artillery Wars. Of course, low oil can prevent it too in some situations. Seriously. Either quit hosting No VTOL games, or just deal with the consequences of such. Frankly, the limits screen should be eliminated entirely, IMHO. :lecture:
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

Assault Gunner wrote:Mmmm. But it is impossible to set up enough AA AND arty to prevent either tanks or VTOLs from working. In No VTOL games, artillery wars are what's gonna happen. Period. Unless a tankrush eliminates one team or most of it, There Will Be Artillery Wars. Of course, low oil can prevent it too in some situations. Seriously. Either quit hosting No VTOL games, or just deal with the consequences of such. Frankly, the limits screen should be eliminated entirely, IMHO. :lecture:

Your missing the point, just about everyone who can host prefers no vtol. So to counter the overwhelming ground challenge this is the best way to deal with it.

It cannot be done once a player has build a certain amount of artillery. then its whoever quits first looses. Quite an exciting game eh? If your going to put limits on VTOL, some on artillery should have also been made possible in the first place.
Wisler
Trained
Trained

Post by Wisler »

Verin wrote:
Assault Gunner wrote:Mmmm. But it is impossible to set up enough AA AND arty to prevent either tanks or VTOLs from working. In No VTOL games, artillery wars are what's gonna happen. Period. Unless a tankrush eliminates one team or most of it, There Will Be Artillery Wars. Of course, low oil can prevent it too in some situations. Seriously. Either quit hosting No VTOL games, or just deal with the consequences of such. Frankly, the limits screen should be eliminated entirely, IMHO. :lecture:

Your missing the point, just about everyone who can host prefers no vtol. So to counter the overwhelming ground challenge this is the best way to deal with it.

It cannot be done once a player has build a certain amount of artillery. then its whoever quits first looses. Quite an exciting game eh? If your going to put limits on VTOL, some on artillery should have also been made possible in the first place.
Actually no, if you ever come to IRC again youll notice in all of the games we host we never use the limits screen, not even once. The people who turn off vtol are generally the people who only play NTW maps.

NTW type maps already kill most strategy that is required in normal maps (med/low oil , oil not all crammed in your base), turning vtol off further reduces the already small amount of strategic options left for players so it becomes a sole groundwar, i think these types of players , are ones who dont look for a game that is challenging to the mind but they just like building stuff and spamming units which is fair enough.

In the end i have found this from experience you just end up doing a sequence of events rather than actually making tactical decisions. When i do rarely play a game on a NTW type map i always use near enough the exact same sequence, and most of the time i win with it.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.

Pm me to try out for RBL.
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

In every game i have JOINED only 2-5 of then have ever allowed VTOL, on of them was by accident.

Basically if the limits screen allows VTOL it should also allow Indirect weapons, since Vtols are basically an only hope for a larger artillery net.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Verin wrote:In every game i have JOINED only 2-5 of then have ever allowed VTOL, on of them was by accident.

Basically if the limits screen allows VTOL it should also allow Indirect weapons, since Vtols are basically an only hope for a larger artillery net.
Well, that's why you should set up games using the IRC channel.

It's linked to from the wz2100.net homepage, you know.
WarTux
Trained
Trained

Post by WarTux »

Just curious: what is the point of no-VTOL games anyway? Every game I've hosted allowed VTOLs and nobody was complaining. And VTOLs can play an important part in strategy, such as performing anti-artillery strikes as mentioned earlier. :hmm:
Warzone nicknames: WarTux[BDC], ChuckNorris-BDC, DeathStar, etc.
Part of the Black Dragon Clan; apply today, we welcome most! :3
On the Warzone IRC channel you can find me hanging out with the BDC dudes or messing with the bot.
GPolice
Trained
Trained

Post by GPolice »

Ubermad wrote:
GPolice wrote:Artellery exist and it will exist forever... use Strong "Kamikaze" VTOLs with Plasmite Bomb to take them Down... more not
but if it is No VTOL?
... No VTOL Server are Bads... then go to a other... VTOL have the Same Rule ...
and i HATE No VTOLs Server ... that are VERY Bad... but ok Artellery Limit...no
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Lets talk hypothetically here for a second and say that we do add functionality to limit artillery. I guarantee than within a couple of weeks you'll be asking for something else to limit. Why? The game is balanced on the assumption that all technology trees are available. Start artificially removing some of these trees and you get into trouble. Think of it like playing a game of rock-paper-scissors except with the restriction that you're not allowed to pick rock. The game -- as you might expect -- falls apart.

If you want to play games with no VTOLs it is my recommendation that you request an accomplished modder to rebalance what remains -- taking into account the lack of VTOLs.

Now, I am not claiming that with VTOLs the game is perfectly balanced. It isn't. However it is getting there (at least compared with 1.10).

Polemically yours, Freddie.
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

EvilGuru wrote:Lets talk hypothetically here for a second and say that we do add functionality to limit artillery. I guarantee than within a couple of weeks you'll be asking for something else to limit. Why? The game is balanced on the assumption that all technology trees are available. Start artificially removing some of these trees and you get into trouble. Think of it like playing a game of rock-paper-scissors except with the restriction that you're not allowed to pick rock. The game -- as you might expect -- falls apart.

If you want to play games with no VTOLs it is my recommendation that you request an accomplished modder to rebalance what remains -- taking into account the lack of VTOLs.

Now, I am not claiming that with VTOLs the game is perfectly balanced. It isn't. However it is getting there (at least compared with 1.10).

Polemically yours, Freddie.
Good argument. but then perhaps the limit screen should be removed entirely?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

dont!! :annoyed:
Sir Willis VvS
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sir Willis VvS »

this is an outstanding idea, i get fed up with artillary spamming
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

Dont bother posting, the ideas section is ruled and controlled by old players and the devs.