Map Selection Screen Makeover

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Re: Map Selection Screen Makeover

Post by KenAlcock »

Look up... :lecture:
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

KenAlcock wrote:Look up... :lecture:
Very interesting modification :)

So you get the Most recently played maps as well as the Least(/never?) played maps.

Brilliant!
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

Opps, I went with frequent as opposed to recent. I'll add the recent idea as well though, which would be useful when you join multiplayer with some new map and then forget what it was named.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

This thread just keeps getting better ;)
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

I added another idea.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

KenAlcock wrote: k. This one may be a little challenging. Add a means for the user to delete a map from from within the Map Selection Screen of the game console. This would mean deleting the corresponding .wz file from whatever folder it is stored in. Perhaps maps, packaged in the Warzone installer should not be permitted to be deleted. Perhaps deletion should have a confirmation process which shows the Map Preview for the map to be deleted, then then user must confirm the deletion. It can get quite cumbersome with many pages of maps to find and delete those you really are not interested in keeping.
Ok, this one's a toughie, why would the user bother removing maps if he will have his own Favorite Maps list? It's just my opinion that the player will never bother wasting time with deleting maps when he can just bring up his favorite maps list, and treat all the other maps as not really important.
-- Ambrose Bierce
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

{Bump}

What are your opinions fellas?
-- Ambrose Bierce
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

Daltx wrote:
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:I agree on all points. Good idea KenAlcock
Same. Also adding room for more overall maps since currently It can't take all the maps I have.
Hey Daltx. I missed the point of this post the first time I read it--I get it now. Since I'm not at the limit yet, can you tell me how many maps Warzone is currently limited to displaying?
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

KenAlcock wrote: Sort the #$%^& maps alphabetically by name for crying out loud! I would also suggest that the sort order should not be case sensitive.

Can we drop the SK- prefix from all the map names? Seriously, if every map name starts with "Sk-", then there are exactly zero reasons to display those characters.
Looks like the new release has implemented those two suggestions in the latest 2.3.2 release.

However, I'm curious to know what the staff thinks of the other suggestions. Especially since KenAIcock has put a lot of thought into them. :)
-- Ambrose Bierce
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

It is? As far as I know, it still isn't sorted alphabetically...

Most of these requests are long-term. It's not something we can do quickly. Give us some time.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:It is? As far as I know, it still isn't sorted alphabetically...
Yup, you're right, they aren't.
Zarel wrote:Most of these requests are long-term. It's not something we can do quickly. Give us some time.
Take all the time you need. Just wanted to make sure that this idea was glanced at or wasn't forgotten as new topics buried this one deep in the forum. :)
-- Ambrose Bierce
Wibble199
Trained
Trained

Post by Wibble199 »

How about adding some buttons to let user organize the maps the way they want, e.g. an alphabetical button, a most recently played button, a most played button, a date downloaded (maybe?) button. :wink:
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

The only thing I really want here is Favourite maps section.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

I like all the suggestions here.

One negative I've found from removing "T1,etc" from the map name is only the host knows for sure what tech level the game will be.

I've noticed the list is in alphabetical order, but letter case is not ignored. Map names that start with a lower case letter go to the end of the list of maps that begin with an upper case letter. It would be nice if letter case was ignored.

I mostly look forward to somehow removing the limit on the number of maps that can be selected, and deleting maps from within wz.

Q. Why would you want to delete a map from within wz?

A. The map crashes wz / is similar to other maps you like better / sux
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

effigy wrote:I mostly look forward to somehow removing the limit on the number of maps that can be selected, and deleting maps from within wz.

Q. Why would you want to delete a map from within wz?

A. The map crashes wz / is similar to other maps you like better / sux
Like a Map Manager? :hmm:
-- Ambrose Bierce