Warzone 2100 needs more music.

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!

Please pick the tracks that you would like to hear in the game. (link in the OP)

Grindstone
22%
Reconn
20%
Bufferzone
29%
Phlogiston
11%
None of the above
18%

Total votes: 45

Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Warzone 2100 needs more music.

Post by Mysteryem »

Before I include some of the more recent tracks made by our community recently, I'm going to check with their authors to see whether they want them included/whether or not they are finished. Here is the link to the tracks in the poll: http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/38736.

The default two tracks that come with warzone 2100 can get a little tiring to listen after a while. There is a fair amount of music out there which has been made for the game. I think it's time that we endorse the music that has been made and get some of it into the game for everyone to hear.

A year ago perhaps, forum user michaelb made a load of music for Warzone 2100 (see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=110 and http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/38736). I can remember listening to them in the game before the original sound tracks were released (with the exception of Phlogiston). I've always thought that they were very good and suited the atmosphere very well. I think that michaelb's music should make it back into the game (perhaps a poll?).

As well as michaelb's music there's also been a lot of music made by Chojun (sadly I have no links to his music, both of the websites that I know are hosting his music no longer work) which I also think is to a top standard.

To top things off there has been some great music made by forum members more recently, you can check these out on The legit Music Sticky thread.

Edit1:
The results from the first poll seem to be a solid Yes:
So I'll get on with the next poll.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone 2100 needs more music.

Post by KukY »

True, true, true, true...

Yes! A poll! :twisted:
Maedhros
Trained
Trained

Post by Maedhros »

i agree Mysteryem, although i found just playin my own music through media player suffices for now, but it would be nice to hear some fresh music in game

and kuky...remember the last poll?
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

I've split off some off topic posts and added a simple poll, which I'll leave there for a while.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Mysteryem wrote:I've split off some off topic posts and added a simple poll, which I'll leave there for a while.
Yes! Yes!
GPolice
Trained
Trained

Post by GPolice »

im have track 3 from ps1 version...
can i upload???
on other portal not in forum upload
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

GPolice wrote:im have track 3 from ps1 version...
I have that track as well. What's missing is still the copyright information of the PS1 version of Warzone.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

cybersphinx wrote:I have that track as well. What's missing is still the copyright information of the PS1 version of Warzone.
I believe we've already agreed that we have copyright information for it.

I'm fine with the idea of adding more music to Warzone.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Zarel wrote:I believe we've already agreed that we have copyright information for it.
Where would that info be? I've never seen any box/manual scans or similar.

Edit: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.game ... focus=7617 ended without any kind of resolution, as usual. But I think there was some talk on IRC that we shouldn't just add that track unless we're sure that Debian etc. will accept it.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

cybersphinx wrote:Where would that info be? I've never seen any box/manual scans or similar.

Edit: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.game ... focus=7617 ended without any kind of resolution, as usual. But I think there was some talk on IRC that we shouldn't just add that track unless we're sure that Debian etc. will accept it.
On the other hand, I remember plenty of talk on IRC that ended in "the PS1 stuff is fine for Warzone" as well as confirming with Debian that they consider the PS1 stuff to be GPLv2-licensed.
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

Zarel wrote:
cybersphinx wrote:Where would that info be? I've never seen any box/manual scans or similar.

On the other hand, I remember plenty of talk on IRC that ended in "the PS1 stuff is fine for Warzone" as well as confirming with Debian that they consider the PS1 stuff to be GPLv2-licensed.
When you quote something, then that usually means that the quote was verbatim.
Can you post the full IRC log for that conversation? Where are the IRC logs at anyway? The one I use only goes back for a week.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

The -dev channel was started as a private channel, so there are no public logs afaik. The last relevant part I found in my local logs is:

Code: Select all

[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:21:07] <pabs3>     PSX?
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:21:14] <Buginator> playstation
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:48:31] <pabs3>     so PSX track is music?
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:50:17] <the_cybersphinx>   Buginator: There's a savegame and description in the ticket.
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:51:30] <the_cybersphinx>   And I've asked the one who uploaded the track if he has the original PSX game for the copyright info.
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:51:41] <Buginator> oh, forgot to check that.  D'oh
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:52:38] <Buginator> pabs3, the PSX (playstation) has a different soundtrack than the PC version, and we are wondering if we should put that into the repo or not...
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:52:53] <pabs3>     is it GPL too?
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:53:08] <Buginator> nobody really knows
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:53:29] <Buginator> we assume that is it though.
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:53:29] <pabs3>     yeah, probably don't put it in until that is clarified
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:54:09] <the_cybersphinx>   I'd say it is, if the copyright info doesn't list any third parties.
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:54:38] <the_cybersphinx>   pabs3: Would that work for Debian?
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:55:13] <icefire>   Was it debians repo's or ubuntus that were super strict on gpl only
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:56:45] <the_cybersphinx>   Debian, that's my benchmark for "free enough". Though there's the outer fringe of Gnewsense and such...
[Thursday 15 April 2010] [03:57:00] <pabs3>     I don't really know until I see more details. but I'm at work right now so I shouldn't be IRCing too much
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Code: Select all

[10:21]  <Zarel> pabs3: http://developer.wz2100.net/browser/trunk/COPYING.README
[10:22]  <Zarel> Would you say this includes media from the PS1 release of Warzone?
[10:23]  <pabs3> its hard to say, but I'm thinking yes because of "not included videos and music" not being specific about which videos/music
[10:23]  <Zarel> Also note dak180's ticket link.
[10:23]  <pabs3> yep, saw that
[10:24]  <Zarel> Which establishes that Pumpkin Studios and Edios Interactive do indeed hold the same copyrights to the PS1 release as they do to the PC release.
[10:26]  <pabs3> right, so it is possible/likely the PS1 videos/music are also GPLed
[10:27]  <Zarel> So would you say that it is fine to go ahead and use them, given this situation?
[10:29]  <pabs3> unless some complication comes up, yeah I think so
[10:30]  <pabs3> in the long term though, the videos are crap quality-wise and should be replaced with live-rendered stuff or something else
[10:30]  <Zarel> Heh, we're talking about the music right now.
[10:30]  * KukY (~5d8b184f@gateway/web/freenode/x-gryxnubstwldzavw) has joined #warzone2100-dev
[10:30]  <pabs3> the german videos were mentioned before by cybersphinx 
[10:31]  <Zarel> More specifically, I note that the source code that was distributed contained PS1 code as well as PC code; further confirming that both were released.
[10:36]  <pabs3> thats a useful detail
XHero_of_ChaosX
Trained
Trained

Post by XHero_of_ChaosX »

i believe some industrial metal would be awesome to include, being that i like metal the most. but i do like having a technoish sound to it.. does anyone know anyone who mixes their own music and such and could possibly place the music into the game?

of course, im fine with anything that is put into the game. as long as it has that nice techno sound to it(hopefully with a bit of metal ;) ). i believe the music really makes the game. :)
What is at a peak is certain to decline. He who shows his hand will surely be defeated. He who can prevail in battle by taking advantage of his enemy's doubts is invincible. ~Cão Cão
m1ndgames
Trained
Trained

Post by m1ndgames »

Heya!
Im a long term player and sometimes peeked in here but never posted... so this is my board-debut ;)

Id love to hear new music in the game... and i could maybe hook you up with some producers...
Im connected to some big names in the german techno scene and im almost sure some of them would supply us with great new tunes :)

Genres are variable, going from idustrial hard techno over electro to chiptunes... just tell me if you need examples of their work, i can ask them all the time...

-m1ndgames