Pavement

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
eridor0
Trained
Trained

Pavement

Post by eridor0 »

Not sure if this has been suggested previously, but the trucks should be able to build pavement. It would really help with unit movement, especially tracked units, in bases and between bases.
iap
Trained
Trained

Re: Pavement

Post by iap »

+1 :)
eridor0
Trained
Trained

Post by eridor0 »

The only problem I see with this is that they'd have to make it so that trucks could build on top of the pavement. That way you'll be able to pave your whole base without having to deconstruct it in order to build anything new.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

eridor0 wrote:Not sure if this has been suggested previously, but the trucks should be able to build pavement. It would really help with unit movement, especially tracked units, in bases and between bases.
Well, mappers can make the base areas paved if they like. But I'm not really sure about that (how would transitions work? The current concrete ground texture won't look good if built in an exact square :ninja:
If it'd be a "structure", the player couldn't build atop it and there would be several problems with tile heights.

Or at least I think so.

~Olrox
eridor0
Trained
Trained

Post by eridor0 »

I already mentioned the building problem. But is it possible that instead of creating a structure, could the truck change the terrain? And I'm not exactly sure what you mean with tile heights.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

eridor0 wrote:I already mentioned the building problem. But is it possible that instead of creating a structure, could the truck change the terrain? And I'm not exactly sure what you mean with tile heights.
The same problems as VTOL pads have with changing tile heights. Clipping problems.

I think that it's hardly possible to make trucks change terrain, but wouldn't be worth the effort, IMO. This would have small effect in most occasions, and would screw up with some carefully made maps.

~Olrox
eridor0
Trained
Trained

Post by eridor0 »

Well, then make it a structure. Albeit they'd have to figure out a way to make it possible to make buildings on top of the pavement. And what clipping problems are you referring to?
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

Pavements could be exactly like landing pads, but give some speed bonus. I think a faster rout would always be preferred by the AI path finding, so a costume paths can be made (maybe this could be a solution for tanks who return to repair in the shortest rout, but go through the fighting).

About replacing buildings... this could be done exactly the way it is done with walls. However, I really don't mind if the player have to manually destroy a pavement if he wants to build something over it.

About multiple destruction commands and building replacements... this is for another tread.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

eridor0 wrote:Well, then make it a structure. Albeit they'd have to figure out a way to make it possible to make buildings on top of the pavement. And what clipping problems are you referring to?
Vtol rearm pads usually have clipping problems with the terrain due to height adjustment when it is built. One pad changes the tile height, and the terrain clips through another pad, to be more specific. I can't be more than that, it's the most obvious I can get close to.

Hmm, easier demolition was already mentioned in another thread recently, but the devs are still thinking of a way to allow shift+click demolition queues.

~Olrox
crux
Trained
Trained

Post by crux »

pavement?
is that not from C&C where you can place pavement over your land so the tunnel diggers can't get in your base?
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

crux wrote:pavement?
is that not from C&C where you can place pavement over your land so the tunnel diggers can't get in your base?
Other games also support that feature, but I can remember that some C&C had it too, yeah.
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

Olrox wrote:
eridor0 wrote:Well, then make it a structure. Albeit they'd have to figure out a way to make it possible to make buildings on top of the pavement. And what clipping problems are you referring to?
Vtol rearm pads usually have clipping problems with the terrain due to height adjustment when it is built. One pad changes the tile height, and the terrain clips through another pad, to be more specific.
This problem did not always occur with VTOL pads, but I suspect it only appeared when we were allowed to build vtol pads right next to each other, instead of with 1 tile gaps between them.

Could they not be made like the walls? conforming to the shape of the terrain? or at least like the bunkers/hardpoints- stretching from uneven terrain to form a level top surface (and making hardpoints built on slopes look more like towers, and bunkers built on slopes look butt ugly), rather than reforming the terrain under them into a leel surface?

Or is there something inherent in the code requiring "base structures" to be on flat ground, whereass hardpoints and such need not be?
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

3drts wrote: This problem did not always occur with VTOL pads, but I suspect it only appeared when we were allowed to build vtol pads right next to each other, instead of with 1 tile gaps between them.

Could they not be made like the walls? conforming to the shape of the terrain? or at least like the bunkers/hardpoints- stretching from uneven terrain to form a level top surface (and making hardpoints built on slopes look more like towers, and bunkers built on slopes look butt ugly), rather than reforming the terrain under them into a leel surface?

Or is there something inherent in the code requiring "base structures" to be on flat ground, whereass hardpoints and such need not be?
Well, base structures must flatten the ground, otherwise we would have some very weird foundations. VTOL pads wouldn't look too weird with foundations by themselves, but that would ruin the ability of units to drive over them (another clipping problem). As long as we have those pads in neighboring tiles in relation to each other, we'll have clipping problems or we won't have trucks passing through them (that would look horrible). Making them to distort in relation to the terrain shouldn't be a good solution, as even the defensive structures are going to be changed in the future so that they have extended foundations rather than the current stretched ones (freeing proccessment potency, due to the elimination of a series of calculations, for other more interesting features), afaik.

I can't come up with a solution for this situation, but I imagine that pavement would have the same problems if made as a structure, and problems I've already mentioned before, if made as texture changing by itself.

~Olrox
GPolice
Trained
Trained

Post by GPolice »

Good Idea... but hard to make that