AI difficulty sliders?

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Rider
Trained
Trained

Re: AI difficulty sliders?

Post by Rider »

On the topic of AI, how feasible would it be to have AI scripts function from the game, like plugins, instead of having to start a mod with adjusted AI?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

What's the difference between a mod and a plugin? o_O
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

One, multiplayer compatibility (though I'm not sure that's an issue with just AI mods), the other advantage would be that you can add new AI behaviours and pick one ingame, without having to reload the game with the AI you intend to use. Also it can be used to just have a number of different types of AI to choose from (and to mix and match) like aggressive, defensive, rushers etc.

This is just theory ofcourse, as there's no such functionality in the game yet.
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

I like this idea.

If AI types would be available for choosing in the players menu, it would add much more fun to the game, even more then power bonuses the AI might get when modifying it's slider.

It would be like the different AI tank types in Scorched Earth :ninja:
Dylan Hsu
Banned
Banned

Post by Dylan Hsu »

You guys got any idea on how to code this AI? xD
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Dylan Hsu wrote:You guys got any idea on how to code this AI? xD
But this is Ideas and Suggestions, people are supposed to ask for impossible things here, not make them xD
I mean, I agree, of course different kinds of AI would be good, but who's gonna code 'em? If that is left to the devs only, it'll probably take a large ammount of time, as they are always busy fixing bugs and balancing and... developing ;)

I don't know anything about coding, so I'll just stay out of the way on this.

~Olrox
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

There's already a number of custom AI mods out there, heck there's even one bundled with Wz2100 itself! All the game would need is the functionality to load and appoint different AI scripts to AI players.
dr_Fell
New user

Post by dr_Fell »

Hello - if I understand it properly, ai sliders that I set up in example before skirmish doesn't change cpu behaviour, only free energy and researching speed... There is also difficulty level in "game options" - will this one change ai behaviour in skirmish mode ?
Aftermath
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aftermath »

I recall a similar discussion back when i played Medieval 2 Total War about AI and difficulty settings, basically the toughest opponent to beat is another (experienced) human player, after that its an AI programmed to perform as close as possible to a human player (i know this isn't easy). If the AI is good enough (combined with its computerised efficiency), this should be all that is required for a 'hard' difficulty setting and a rewarding challenge. Offcourse, you could then reduce the AI's aggressiveness(not its 'intelligence', to dumb down a good AI is such a waste) to reduce the difficulty setting to 'normal', then give bonuses to the player to make it 'easy'. Any AI program that requires AI cheating to make it 'hard' and therefore challenging isn't a good AI at all.

There is something very dissapointing about knowing an AI opponent only beat you because it 'cheated'.

Offcourse, if you take a good AI and give it cheats, thats when you enter 'insane/brutal difficulty.

With this in mind i feel the most rewarding challenge is had by putting the slider in the middle and increasing difficulty by increasing the number of AI players on the opposing team so your outnumbered. This has the effect of increasing the number of attacks against you and their research speed without any actual AI cheating.
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

I think it the AI slider is anywhere above the minimum setting to keep it from being turned off, it power cheats.

I don't see how 2v1 is any different.

If I cheat such that I start with 2x as many derricks, units, power units, and can build 2x as many factories and research facilities, (such as cheating by placing trucks in an empty base, and cheating around the structure limits) have I not accomplished the same thing as a 2v1? isn't a 2v1 even more unfair, as I am now burdened with more micromanagement (although this depends on how well the two in the 2v1 works together, if they don't communicate, head down different research paths, and different plans for victory, and do not coordinate attacks, one player with 2x the resources is better than 2 players)
Aftermath
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Aftermath »

One AI player with a 50% reduction in research times and a 100% increase in power generation is a cheating AI.

Two AI players working together may achieve a similar effect, but in this case it's done without any cheating.

Another way of looking at it is if:-

One AI player has 1 research facility with a 50% reduction in research times (in addition to any reduction gained through modules etc). This is cheating because the additional 50% reduction would not normally be achievable in a battle.

A second AI player has 2 research facilities but no bonus to research times, he researches at roughly the same rate as the first AI player but isn't cheating since having 2 research facilities is allowed in a battle.

This becomes signficant if both AI players build their limit of 5 research centres. The first AI gains the exclusive 50% cheating advantage.

Whether or not the AI is cheating is what's important to me.