A small thing, really.

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Ceiling Cat
Trained
Trained

A small thing, really.

Post by Ceiling Cat »

Could it be changed(permanent or optional) that the damn camera won't 'float' all over the place, and be instead with a fixed height regardless of terrain, and moving steadily without the annoying acceleration? (More like any other RTS)
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: A small thing, really.

Post by KukY »

Ceiling Cat wrote:Could it be changed(permanent or optional) that the damn camera won't 'float' all over the place, and be instead with a fixed height regardless of terrain, and moving steadily without the annoying acceleration? (More like any other RTS)
Well, I like those things.
If it is "A small thing, really.", you can do it yourself.
Ceiling Cat
Trained
Trained

Post by Ceiling Cat »

Still didn't figure out the compiling yet, used too much to IDE project building. You might like the current camera, but it gets annoying with framerate oscillating between 20 and 15. It's especially hard to manage two things at once.
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Ceiling Cat wrote: It's especially hard to manage two things at once.
Not once you get used to the camera, it isn't. And clicking on the unit icon(for trucks and commanders) zooms you to it, as well as hotkeys that jump you to your command center, factories,and research centers.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Ceiling Cat
Trained
Trained

Post by Ceiling Cat »

I told you my framerate blows. It's nearly impossible to manage two assault teams, let alone switch between them, only centering helps here a bit.
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Have you tried using commanders? I'm not trying to sound condescending, I just used to have the same problem until I started using commanders. And my framerate usually hangs around 30, not much better.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Ceiling Cat
Trained
Trained

Post by Ceiling Cat »

Yes, I use commanders but I hate having to waste energy on tens of repair scapegoats to keep the squads alive, as it takes 10 seconds before I am able to move camera, select, and click for those idiots to fall back when needed. More often than not I repeat the mission cause of it, as one of my carefully leveled members of former Alpha 1 Machinegun Team gets killed before I can move out of the lancers' range.
XboxJosh
Trained
Trained

Post by XboxJosh »

Group your assault groups together (using Ctrl + 0-9). If you want to jump to a group, tap their number twice.

Edit by Zarel: Fixed "Alt" - should be "Ctrl"

Alias: Cipher[SSC]

System Specs:
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional
CPU TYPE: AMD Athlon II X2 250
CPU SPEED: 3000 MHz
SYSTEM MEMORY: 4 GB (2 x 2GB, DDR2)
GRAPHICS CARD MODEL: NVidia GTS 250
Saberuneko
Regular
Regular

Post by Saberuneko »

Yes, that's really useful! I could manage up to 6 attack squads simultaneously using that thing. :D

Just try it!
Ceiling Cat
Trained
Trained

Post by Ceiling Cat »

As if I didn't know, seriously. My point is, that camera makes it still a pain in the butt to click stuff when you need it fast, as it's slow as hell at first and then accelerates so much you go over the place before you can put on the brakes.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Ever tried dragging the right mouse button on the minimap?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I believe jumping to a group is instant, as well.
Ceiling Cat
Trained
Trained

Post by Ceiling Cat »

The mouse right click on the map is one of those things that should rather be instant, than flowing. It's really confusing, you know. Group jumping saves my butt, but I wish it didn't have to.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

That's why I said "drag", not "click".
crux
Trained
Trained

Post by crux »

Ceiling Cat wrote:Still didn't figure out the compiling yet, used too much to IDE project building. You might like the current camera, but it gets annoying with framerate oscillating between 20 and 15. It's especially hard to manage two things at once.
wow, what kind of a crappy machine do you have? 15-20 fps is very, very low!