Some Ideas...

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Some Ideas...

Post by Zarel »

If at least one other dev agrees, then yes.

And if that one other dev agrees, well, I'll just let them do it. ;)
einhander
Rookie
Rookie

Post by einhander »

Zarel wrote:If at least one other dev agrees, then yes.

And if that one other dev agrees, well, I'll just let them do it. ;)
Sweet !
Hopefully another dev will agree !

What do you think about the T4 and T5 idea. I know you already said you don't like it, but in all honesty a game never lasts long enough to get into all that end game research, unless neither side is actually trying to win. And again just like the oil and power generator slider a T4 and T5 would not alter the regular game, it would just give people the option to play a match with all the goodies already researched :)

I mean how else can you try out the duel turret dragon body ^^ lol
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

Per wrote:I don't see why there needs to be a limit on oil derricks at all.
On some maps (usually high oil ones) this is required to affect game strategy. Building an oil derrick is free in terms of power. So building more oil derricks than you require (due to the Power Generator limit) costs you nothing but the time your trucks spend doing it. But what this buys you is automatic fall-back redundancy protection built in to yor power supply. This way, when your enemy bombs some of your oil derricks with VTOLs, it isn't very likely to affect your power income. If a host wants to take away the ability to use this strategy, then the number of derricks must be limited along with the number of power generators.
Per wrote:I think the default power generator limit should be reasonably low (perhaps 5, that's 20 derricks!), but I see no reason why the maximum limit cannot be much higher.
I would agree with this. If it's a simple thing to add, let people play the type of game they want. And the balance argument really doesn't hold any water for this type of settings--everyone in playing that game is playing with the same limits, which is the very definition of balance.

One argument that never gets raised in defense of high-power maps, is time. If you actually want to play a game and get to use some of the higher grade weapons and defenses you are going to need more power, because these weapons cost so much more to research and more to produce. Even when starting a T3 game, it can take quite some time to get heavy lasers, LasSats, and all your other favorite toys and their upgrades.

If you are playing multiplayer teams, this isn't so painful because your allies help you research. But if you play individual teams, then it's a long road. And sometimes you don't want to have to play a long game. Power is ultimately the lubricant that make the Warzone world go around.

Also, solely with respect to the limit on building oil derricks. Building an oil derrick affects how the AIs (and some players) play. When that bright aqua colored blip appears on the mini-map, enemies send trucks to build on it. It's really annoying that you can't build on a derrick and "own" it, especially when it's very near your position.
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68