New graphics engine

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
flosculus
New user

New graphics engine

Post by flosculus »

i've played this game on and off in previous years, its always been fun, but only today did i notice that it was open source and was still in constant development :P

i've downloaded it and im looking forward to playing it again tonight to see whats been changed, however i've noticed from a few screenshots that the graphics are the same.

most of the time it doesnt really both me, infact im still gonna play this from start to finish even with the current graphics. but im curious to know if some improvements are being made? i understand its open source and free therefore making it a high end game would be unrealistic, however even if it used an engine simular to C&C Generals, it would be pretty damn good, and playable on nearly all machines.

im gonna take a wild guess at the software engineering (im a web programmer lol) but im thinking that the graphics engine doesnt have a knock on effect on game mechanics, so even if a new engine was used with a seperate version of the latest releases or maybe a plugin (a bit like eve online has two sets of graphics), that would be pretty awsome. its been 10 years, i would have thought some new meshes would have been knocked up :P

flos
SCAVANGER
Trained
Trained

Re: New graphics engine

Post by SCAVANGER »

yeah that could be great c&c generals is a pretty damn game :twisted:
lo siento yo no hablo ingles disculpen mis errores

wz2100 lo juego desde que tengo 9 años XD (en la playstation 1)
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

I believe that we should just improve the current engine. Add dx9-11, open gl (not sure what the newest version is) bump mapping, and in game aa&af (so you dont have to force it) etc.
the largest wz steam community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100 (all welcome to join help find matches find new relese and recruit new players)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

There's a new terrain renderer in trunk.
BulletMagnet
Trained
Trained

Post by BulletMagnet »

now where's that sticky about people making suggestions?
nobby
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nobby »

This is mentioned in the FAQ - there's no particular intention to do a new graphics engine for the reasons outlined in the FAQ, but people are making enhancements to the current one. IMHO, WZ2100 has a fan base because of the gameplay and extensibility rather than the eye candy, so I don't think that there is much demand to do a major overhaul on the graphics engine anyway. It's a bit of a nice-to-have and would be quite a lot of work.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

nobby wrote:This is mentioned in the FAQ - there's no particular intention to do a new graphics engine for the reasons outlined in the FAQ, but people are making enhancements to the current one. IMHO, WZ2100 has a fan base because of the gameplay and extensibility rather than the eye candy, so I don't think that there is much demand to do a major overhaul on the graphics engine anyway. It's a bit of a nice-to-have and would be quite a lot of work.
I REPEAT: THERE'S A NEW TERRAIN RENDERER IN TRUNK.

(i.e. a major overhaul of the graphics engine)

Geez, does no one pay attention? :/

See it here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2379
SCAVANGER
Trained
Trained

Post by SCAVANGER »

thanks for the info the new terrain looks amazing
lo siento yo no hablo ingles disculpen mis errores

wz2100 lo juego desde que tengo 9 años XD (en la playstation 1)
Makary
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Makary »

Maybe port wz to Irrlicht engine? It's open source too. Yes, it's more important to have good gameplay than eyecandy. But who knows? Maybe Warzone 2200 will be on Unreal Engine 3 ;)
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

Makary wrote:Maybe port wz to Irrlicht engine? It's open source too. Yes, it's more important to have good gameplay than eyecandy. But who knows? Maybe Warzone 2200 will be on Unreal Engine 3
The engine would have to suport a game written in c not c++, also it would be a huge amount of work and the devs dont have the time.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

If someone could port it for us, that'd be great, though. You might have trouble with that Warzone's OpenGL integration is pretty low-level.
nobby
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nobby »

I think we're into semantics here. The terrain renderer is a modification to the existing graphics engine. It is most certainly not an exercise in porting WZ2100 to another engine made by Id or some other third party.

Zarel wrote:
nobby wrote:This is mentioned in the FAQ - there's no particular intention to do a new graphics engine for the reasons outlined in the FAQ, but people are making enhancements to the current one. IMHO, WZ2100 has a fan base because of the gameplay and extensibility rather than the eye candy, so I don't think that there is much demand to do a major overhaul on the graphics engine anyway. It's a bit of a nice-to-have and would be quite a lot of work.
I REPEAT: THERE'S A NEW TERRAIN RENDERER IN TRUNK.

(i.e. a major overhaul of the graphics engine)

Geez, does no one pay attention? :/

See it here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2379
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

nobby wrote:I think we're into semantics here. The terrain renderer is a modification to the existing graphics engine. It is most certainly not an exercise in porting WZ2100 to another engine made by Id or some other third party.
Go read what he wrote again:
  • most of the time it doesnt really both me, infact im still gonna play this from start to finish even with the current graphics. but im curious to know if some improvements are being made?
The terrain renderer definitely counts as "improvements [that] are being made".
pseudonymous
Greenhorn

Post by pseudonymous »

Zarel wrote:The terrain renderer definitely counts as "improvements [that] are being made".
Think of it like the health care bill in the U.S. Senate currently, it is "reform" but no one will see any improvements for a long time. :ninja: :stare: xD
Makary
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Makary »

Makary wrote:But who knows? Maybe Warzone 2200 will be on Unreal Engine 3 ;)
Unreal Development Kit is now for free! http://www.udk.com/download.html Havok too, but rather it would be useless in wz