cancelling auto-repair, or whatever technologies!

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
meeso
Trained
Trained

cancelling auto-repair, or whatever technologies!

Post by meeso »

hallo everyone, :)

playing with ai, and at a certain level of difficulty, when we get to the stage of auto-repair technology, the game becomes almost silly!!! I personally don't like the idea of auto-repair itself, since it defies something that is very important in warfare, that is, the ability to cause casualties and damage! Apart from that it's the one totally unrealistic element in Warzone. Should not be developed the possibility of eliminating certain technologies in the game options before it starts?

Thanks,
m.
peter666
Greenhorn

Re: cancelling auto-repair, or whatever technologies!

Post by peter666 »

i must admit i agree
the auto repair kinda takes something away from strategy
but i guess on the up side... it gives u one less thing to worry bout when tryin to over run the enemies base...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

No, the speed at which structures and units are built and resources are gathered is also pretty unrealistic, as it is in all RTSes. ;)

Regardless, we won't change auto-repair unless an overwhelmingly large proportion of the userbase dislikes it, and that isn't currently the case.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hmm, this kind of Realistic/unrealistic talk...
maybe you should look & discuss at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4104&start=15. I agree with Zarel that "that's unrealistic, take it off from the game" would leave nothing behind probably.
One of the real-life strategical needs is having military bases at vantage points, and at the front, you won't see whole military bases being constructed from night to day, probably only outposts, just like you won't see vehicles auto-repairing themselves as they are when you research auto-repair.

Reminding that it's year 2100 and auto-repair is T3 also helps "understanding why we can't understand".

BTW, I didn't read the whole description, but you should definetely check winsrp's tech tree editor and make a mod with your preferences. If people like, they'll download & use it. If they don't, you can still share it with your friends or use it for skirmish. Modding ain't that hard ;)
It's near hard just when you want to make new features (which isn't the case)

Regards,
Olrox :!!!:
meeso
Trained
Trained

Post by meeso »

Olrox wrote:Hmm, this kind of Realistic/unrealistic talk...
I agree with Zarel that "that's unrealistic, take it off from the game" would leave nothing behind probably.

BTW, I didn't read the whole description, but you should definetely check winsrp's tech tree editor and make a mod with your preferences. If people like, they'll download & use it. If they don't, you can still share it with your friends or use it for skirmish. Modding ain't that hard ;)
It's near hard just when you want to make new features (which isn't the case)

Regards,
Olrox :!!!:
Hello everyone,

Of course if you'll take the word "realistic" in that way, there would be nothing realistic in the game: "oh, look how the truck builds the factory, oh, waw, it's so unrealistic!" But i meant nothing like this, which is quite self-evident from the context. Olrox you have a point, that it's 2100, but still, probably EVERYTHING will be different in 2100, and not just the possibility of auto-repair. Unfortunately, perhaps apart from cyborgs, there is nothing 2100-like in warzone, just the story of the game. What's unrealistic is the *CONCEPT* of auto-repair, and this being the only unrealistic concept there is in the game. Super heavy bodies in wz are unrealistic, but the concept of heavy bodies is real. What's problematic regarding auto-repair is not its unrealisticness as a concept, but more importantly, it brings an element in the game that cannot be surpassed by something else, and therefore cannot be challenged and confronted. This never happens in warfare (excepting the Atomic bomb!), or in any challenge that largely depends on the strategy of "causing damage" and that has the sole objective of "destroying" the opponent. Auto repair is therefore as much silly as introducing the atomic bomb in the game, where a player can fly a single atomic vtol and finish the opponents at once.

Zarel, i didn't say that you should prohibit auto-repair (some other players might actually find the atomic bomb to be very interesting as well), all i proposed was to create a tool through which players can disable whatever technologies they don't like, even if it was engineering itself. I would presume this is not so difficult since u have a systematic tech tree. Anyway, Thanks Olrox, i might just try the modding for myself. : - )

cheers,
m
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

1. We don't have the resources to make a seamless customizable tech trees. The closest you can get is what Olrox suggested, use the research tree editor, make a mod, and use that.

2. Auto-repair is pretty realistic. The tank comes with a built in repair unit. Call it nanotech if you must.

3. Auto-repair is still counterable. You can usually kill most things before they can repair themselves to full. You're right that it doesn't have a hard counter like a new weapon would have, but it's like any other upgrade in that it improves your situation with no disadvantages.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I, for myself, use one of the biggest flaws of the game to counter auto-repair - Focused fire.
You can't avoid getting your units to concentrate fire on a target that doesn't quite *need* so much firepower. Killed units don't repair themselves, therefore using a combination of moderate ROF weapons, such as HPV, with high ROF weapons like assault gun (twin assault gun whenever you can get it), using a commander, you can focus fire on specific enemies, they'll get killed, the cannon's splash damage already drained a bit of the life of the units around, and you are ready to designate a new target.

The weak point of relying on auto-repair is that you must have a break: the enemy must stop sending whatever units he is for you to repair yourself. If the units move or start firing, they already stop auto-repairing for a while, and since it's concentrated fire, probably all of the units on the repairing group will stop auto-repairing to fire the attacking unit.

Having that in mind and focusing your attacks on particular units so that they die and doesn't get the chance to auto-repair, should avoid too much stress about it.

About the concept of auto-repair, then the mobile repairing units would also be illogical, because IRL nothing can be repaired up to 100% of its original form.

Perhaps you should add a "Time to Die mod" ( ;) ) where there are no repair features? xD
I think that would be interesting, but I wouldn't like a mod that only removed auto-repair.
Zero-Omega
Trained
Trained

Post by Zero-Omega »

The speed of auto repair is ridiculous so it takes a while for your enemy to make another wave of attack. so their really isnt a point in taking it away.

No matter what i still take heavy repair units with me xD

Joel.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Zero-Omega wrote:The speed of auto repair is ridiculous so it takes a while for your enemy to make another wave of attack. so their really isnt a point in taking it away.

No matter what i still take heavy repair units with me xD

Joel.
Talking of heavy repair units, I place them by my VTOL reaming pads because the pads are so slow at repairing anything.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Zero-Omega
Trained
Trained

Post by Zero-Omega »

I didn't think that would work!
im going to use that now :D
Zero-Omega
Trained
Trained

Post by Zero-Omega »

Well when my warzone works again anyway.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Zero-Omega wrote:I didn't think that would work!
im going to use that now :D
It works a treat, it just looks a bit silly because the vtols are so much higher up than repair units when they are flying.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."