day and night

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
peter666
Greenhorn

day and night

Post by peter666 »

i heard talk of it every so often in the forum.. and just wanted to ask if there was any chance this could be included in the game..so yea... is there any chance that night time would be included in the game... either made with the game in a couple versions time or something or made as a mod

cos i was thinkin it would add a new edge to strategy.. like.. flood lights and search lights round your base to help defense turrets.... and head lights on tanks and cyborgs....as well as Vtols with search lights on to work as like a nightly scout or something lol
i dunno but yea....
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: day and night

Post by lav_coyote25 »

it was available in the original.... perhaps you or some one could write up the code to reenable this?? :)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

lav_coyote25 wrote:it was available in the original.... perhaps you or some one could write up the code to reenable this?? :)
Are you talking about the PSX version? The PC version never had day and night...
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Zarel wrote:
lav_coyote25 wrote:it was available in the original.... perhaps you or some one could write up the code to reenable this?? :)
Are you talking about the PSX version? The PC version never had day and night...

yes it did... was modable. if you look in the aieditor.exe run it and you will see that day night was available for the map you were working on... hmmm.. you didnt see this i bet!! :)
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

The code is in there, just disabled. It has been tested by multiple people over the years and each person left it turned off because it simply looked lame.
peter666
Greenhorn

Post by peter666 »

is there no way u could improve it and make it look better
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

Per this is very interesting, could you tell us what is required to enable this feature? or do you have any screenshots showing the night?
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

For what? Vehicles are unmanned droids with all-purpose scanners and cyborg powersuits probably have night-vision built in. This would not be anything more than a graphical gimmick distracting the player. Though, if cyborgs would move without headlights using night-vision, they would be concealed in the main view, forcing the player to pay especially close attention to the radar mini map at night. Hmm...
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

guciomir wrote:Per this is very interesting, could you tell us what is required to enable this feature? or do you have any screenshots showing the night?
It used to be just re-enable the commented out line in src/display3d.c that calls findSunVector()... And maybe you have to turn lighting on in lib/ivis_opengl/piedraw.c ... But it no longer appears to work. Nobody has used it in a long while, so I guess this feature has suffered bit rot.

There was a video of this feature once, but that was several forums ago.
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Per wrote:so I guess this feature has suffered bit rot.
Indeed...
Btw I've found game models more visually better when you enable lightning only (static sun), but I felt the game is running a tiny bit slower in that case... And there is a problem with baba people sprite...