Missile research tree

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Missile research tree

Post by winsrp »

OK so here I would like to talk about 3 weapons

Scourge Missile
Avenger SAM
Vindicator SAM

So i was going first to research all the way to Archangel Missile, following what is needed on the research tree, and found something really interesting.

Archangel Missile needed "advanced missile warhead" research upgrade, that I wasn't finding anywhere since they were part of the Scourge Missile research tree, looking closer at the researchs I found out that this was on my list but it had the Avenger SAM preview image on it, and I went like WTF!!!. So I went to check the research list for the Avenger SAM and found out that the Scourge Missile, Avenger SAM and Vindicator SAM they all have the same exact researchs to be made.

The same happens for the "target prediction missiles" research, that has the avenger display image on it.

So ideas here...

#1 leave the scourge upgrade tree with all images as scourge and have them affect AA too, which would be better, and a lot less confusing.

#2, apply #1, but don't make them affect AA, and make some new research topics for AA separetly, which would be the most logical thing to do.

#3, apply #1, apply #2, but also make the upgrades of the sourge the base for making the avanger SAM, so you would need to get to some point in upgrading the scourge before getting the avenger sam

OK thoughts here.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Missile research tree

Post by Zarel »

winsrp wrote:#1 leave the scourge upgrade tree with all images as scourge and have them affect AA too, which would be better, and a lot less confusing.
Erm. Missile upgrades affect all missiles. Of course they affect AA missiles, but not other types of AA. Warzone upgrades are really simple. Missile upgrades affect every weapon with "missile" in its name (including "SAM" - the "M" stands for "missile"). Missile upgrades don't affect any weapon without "missile" in its name.

You're right, though; all missile upgrades should have the Scourge icon, to be less confusing.
winsrp wrote:#2, apply #1, but don't make them affect AA, and make some new research topics for AA separetly, which would be the most logical thing to do.
This isn't logical at all. Having an upgrade tree that only affects the two SAM weapons? D: That would be terrible!
winsrp wrote:#3, apply #1, apply #2, but also make the upgrades of the sourge the base for making the avanger SAM, so you would need to get to some point in upgrading the scourge before getting the avenger sam
Erm, the Scourge is already the "base" for the Avenger. All other missile weapons have Scourge as a prerequisite, including Avenger, Vindicator, SRMA, and Archie.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Re: Missile research tree

Post by winsrp »

ok with the all missiles get upgraded, but the image should change to be fair and square....

The other thing that has me wondering is

How come you can keep on doing upgrades to a minor weapon if you have the higher one... for example take:

Mini rocket pod,

when you make HEAP Mini-Rockets upgrade you get lancer... then why to make the rest of the upgrades for mini-rocket?

Wouldn't it be best if lancer requirements include :

Mini-Rocket Artillery and
Synaptic Link Data Analysis and
HEAP Mini-Rockets Mk3 and
Fast Fire Mini-Rockets Mk3 and
Stabilized Mini-Rockets Mk2

so when you get to latest level of mini rockets, you get ... lancer which is a more powerful rocket version.

just an idea....