Improved unit navigation and movement

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Improved unit navigation and movement

Post by Avestron »

This idea comes in two parts - Navigation and Movement

- - - - -

1.) Navigation

A navigation screen taking up the space normally taken up by unit design is brought up to house a scale model of the present map. This map would hold details of own position in dots of appropriate colour, and any presently selected units would be selected in a bright red colour.

This enlarged map is the navigation screen and tactical movements can be plotted out upon it. Through the numbering of various teams of units and the numerical pads the red-outlined dots shift between groups and use of the ctrl button and mouse click allows each group to be waypointed to a destination upon the map - or taken through several locations. Patrols can be set up.

A three pronged attack or encirclement each become possible thanks to this system - with the help of the improved movement system mentioned next. When done with the map just close it similarly to unit design.

- - - - -

2.) Movement

Use of the arrow keys to direct formations would be an appreciable boon to those who like to micromanage movement.

The numerical keypad would work well for this, or even the arrow buttons.

Up/ Down = Accelerate/Decelerates selected vehicles
Left/Right = Change bearing of selected vehicles

Upon meeting an obstacle the bearing and speed are temporarily over-ridden by path-finding and upon overcoming an obstacle the previous settings are reinstated until the edge of the map is met, when that axis of movement no longer engages (SW movement will hit S or W edge and then turn and (it keeps moving towards W or S respectively until the edge of the map is met)

This would be great for positioning units - Formations are mostly kept intact as an 'S' shaped formation remains loosely an 'S' shaped formation as it travels round a square waypoint course.

Accelleration and decelleration is also great for timing tactical strikes using the navigation screen mentioned earlier - if the left flank of a 3 prong attack is moving too fast then simply select that group and use the down button to slow the units until the others have caught up, and the up button to get them back to speed.

You can also determine if you want units to patrol quickly or slowly.

Its these little things that would greatly increase control for users of all levels of competence. ^_^
ziserman
Greenhorn

Re: Improved unit navigation and movement

Post by ziserman »

Speaking of navigation, I have a request regarding the mini-map.
When I point my mouse cursor at the screen's edge the mini-map moves towards the direction I pointed it. In some RTSs, it moves with a fixed speed, in others and wz2100 it slowly accelerates and once the cursor moves elsewhere the screen stops gradually, not instantly.

That's my request. A fixed speed, as well as an instant stop once I move my cursor.
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Re: Improved unit navigation and movement

Post by Avestron »

I think that that should fall in options.

I personally would like to see a scroll system where the 15%:15%-85%:85% of the screen is stationary but where pointers going beyond this variably scroll the screen without needing to meet the edge.

The reason this would be useful is mainly for windowed mode where the edge leads off-window and therefore makes scrolling a bit finicky.

I'd have extended to 25:75% but access to the corner menu and map needs to be done easily enough without auto-scrolling.