Designing units: Show weighted average Damage Effekt

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
smallfly
Trained
Trained

Designing units: Show weighted average Damage Effekt

Post by smallfly »

if i design a unit. i want to know two things:

1.) how effective is this unit against my enemies?
2.) how effective are the enemy units against the unit i am designing?

Looking at the following picture ...

... I think that there are two information missing:

1.) a display that tells me the average effectiveness of the unit against enemy units
2.) a display that tells me the average effectiveness of enemy units against the unit i am designing

to calculate this values i would do the following:
- every time any of my units is attacked by an enemy unit i save some information of the enemy unit to an array (enemy body, turret, propulsion)
- the last i.e. 100 datasets of this array are the base for the calculation of the average enemy unit
- the two displays i want to have in my designing window will contain the effectiveness against this calculated average enemy unit as well as the effectiveness of the average unit against the unit being designed

i hope you can follow my thought ;)
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Re: Designing units: Show weighted average Damage Effekt

Post by Kacen »

This is a...frankly, flawed idea on many, many levels.

First of all the amount of variables of enemy units in the game, and the amount of units you create would alone make this a chore to implement.

Secondly, certain weapons are more effective against specific types of units, lasers and machine guns, for instance, being most effective against cyborgs and wheeled/hover vehicles, while all rounders are good against most enemies except for cyborgs, and anti-tank weapons are only effective against vehicles. Then there's anti-aircraft and bunker-busters and such to take into account, way too much work. There are no "average" units in this game.

It's best just to know the strengths and weaknesses of the weapons and propulsions yourself.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

I believe that i could make calculations to count that,but programming it would be hard to me.
smallfly
Trained
Trained

Post by smallfly »

If my idea is too hard to imagine: You could also implement a function that works like this:

1.) right click an enemy unit
2.) contect menu appears with the menu point "design an unit being effective against currently selected enemy unit"
3.) the design dialog opens and a predefined unit with best weapon/body/propulsion against the enemy unit appears

Note: It doesnt have to be the biggest body that is suggested by the "unit design wizzard". In some cases a smaller body has a better price-effectiveness-ratio so you would prefer building 3 light weight units instead of one big one.

My main thought: For people that are new to wz2100 it is very hard to decide which unit too build as there are hundreds of possibilities...
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Good idea smallfly.