Structure power drain.

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Structure power drain.

Post by Tenoh »

I see allot in my games that AI just filles the whole map with defense buildings and that sucks,too unrealistic.
So here is an idea.to limit the huge number of towers and stuff why not make them consume power to function?
Something like 1 power in 1 sec should do it.
What you all think?
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Re: Structure power drain.

Post by psychopompos »

i think you need to use more artillary.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Then the AI would just make too many power generators and...well it's an endless cycle. It wouldn't solve the issue.
zeland
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zeland »

Tenoh wrote:So here is an idea.to limit the huge number of towers and stuff why not make them consume power to function? Something like 1 power in 1 sec should do it.
Maybe have a power per shot like in Total Annihilation. The bigger the gun, the higher the drain.
Kacen wrote:Then the AI would just make too many power generators and...well it's an endless cycle. It wouldn't solve the issue.
But you cannot have too many generator because you won't have enough oil wells to feed them. Besides, for every generator put up, you lose space for defensive structures. Maybe make the generators a bit bigger.
ClockWork
Trained
Trained

Post by ClockWork »

zeland wrote: Maybe make the generators a bit bigger.
you mean like, 3x3? factory size?
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

zeland wrote: But you cannot have too many generator because you won't have enough oil wells to feed them. Besides, for every generator put up, you lose space for defensive structures. Maybe make the generators a bit bigger.
Not having enough oil wells to feed a generator does not mean you can't make more. You can make more generators than you need.

Oh, wait, you're assuming the oil wells power the generators...no, the generators...no the generators I used to think powered the oil wells, what they do is -convert- the oil from the oil derricks to resources.

If I recall.
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

Yeah,something like that.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

i think that it would be a better solution to limit number of defensive structures
smallfly
Trained
Trained

Post by smallfly »

Tenoh wrote:to limit the huge number of towers and stuff why not make them consume power to function?
What you all think?
Thats a great idea. With this feature enabled long games dont get stuck because of thousands of defense structures around the bases stop every attack. The game will afford more strategic thinking like "if i want to build more defense structures here i have to disable/destroy some others there" ;)
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

I'd really, really hate it if limits are imposed on defenses and such.

I don't want Warzone 2100 turned into another generic limited RTS game like Dawn of War or something...
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Kacen wrote:I'd really, really hate it if limits are imposed on defenses and such.

I don't want Warzone 2100 turned into another generic limited RTS game like Dawn of War or something...
I agree.
But i think there is a limit of 100 same defensive structures.
13KukYNexus666 wrote:i think that it would be a better solution to limit number of defensive structures
By that I didn't mean that there should be limits,
I meant that limits are better than consuming power.
smallfly
Trained
Trained

Post by smallfly »

But limits are static and you can't expand anymore, so I would prefer the power consumtion method. If you find more oil resources you can expand your base ...

By the way: If there are different opinions: We could make it a multiplayer setting so that the host can decide by himself whether to use limits or power comsuming structures or none of both...
Haku
Greenhorn

Post by Haku »

Tenoh wrote:I see allot in my games that AI just filles the whole map with defense buildings and that sucks,too unrealistic.
So here is an idea.to limit the huge number of towers and stuff why not make them consume power to function?
What you all think?
Sounds like a step toward C&C Tiberium Sun and how base defences work in that game. Far as AI spamming defences it's pretty easy to deal with.
13KukYNexus666 wrote:i think that it would be a better solution to limit number of defensive structures
There used to be a mod during 1.xx that allowed you to set those limits like you would currently for regular base structures.
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

This reminds me of "Dune II", back in the old days. Well at least I think it was Dune... :D It had a power system attached in coclusion with the buildings. That means it worked something like this:

1 power generator makes 10 power points.
1 barrack needs 2
1 factory needs 3

If you buil just this one generator and you've build 4 barracks, when you want a factory, you'll have to build another generator for the factory to work. Maths:

4 barracks (2+2+2+2=8pp) + 1 factory (3pp) = 11 power points required = 2 power generators (20pp)

It was quite anoying sometimes... :D

""Dungeon Keeper II" had something similar. When buildng canons in the dungeons, they consumed mana when firing. Also a not so funny feature, when the enemy attacks with a big bunch of knights and magicians and your mana is gone in seconds. That only happened, if you got around 50 canons built.

The first system could work, but I don't think, that the bunkers etc should go with it. I don't know of any real bunker that need an extra power supply from the outside.

Instead of consuming energy in WZ, they could stop firing when the energy is gone to zero, forcing the player to stop building and researching to keep the "electronic systems" for the defences running.
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
zeland
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zeland »

Instead of consuming energy in WZ, they could stop firing when the energy is gone to zero, forcing the player to stop building and researching to keep the "electronic systems" for the defences running.
As I posted earlier, power per shot. Imagine a player with 100+ artillery pieces. You send in cannon fodder cyborgs one at a time into radar range. Wham-bam, 100+ artillery pieces start firing on a single cyborg draining all his energy. :scream:

TA however allows you to disable your artillery/defences from firing. Would be nice if we had that in WZ too.