Possible multi turret solution

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Makary
Rookie
Rookie

Possible multi turret solution

Post by Makary »

Some time ago I've played the Warhammer 40k Dawn of war. In this game there is Predator tank, wich have one main cannon and two additional on the side. Maybe add to Warzone possibility to design similiar tanks? Only on heavy bodies of course. Image
This can be difficult to implement, limitation to rotate only in 90 degrees horizontal only. What do you think?
Some pictures of another tank in this game:
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/3990 ... der1ox.jpg
iMac
Trained
Trained

Re: Possible multi turret solution

Post by iMac »

IIRC Multi-Turret has been tested but doesn't work well. It is a feature that will be added at some point when, the devs have time & it is stable enough for end users to play with... ;)

EDIT: I found this in the Version 2.2 specific forums -> viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2956

It explains the current issues with Multi-Turrets. So until someone, besides the devs, fixes Multi-Turrets then it probably won't be added for a long time.
Last edited by iMac on 20 Jul 2009, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Actually the solution has been known for quite a while and it comes down precisely to the following -

- WHO is gonna re-do all the .PIE art ?

- Test all the weapon combo GFX of said new art ?

- Then re-balance for multi-turrets ?

Volunteers ? ;)

Regards, whip :ninja:

iMac
Trained
Trained

Post by iMac »

LOL I just found that... ;)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

iMac wrote:IIRC Multi-Turret has been tested but doesn't work well. It is a feature that will be added at some point when, the devs have time & it is stable enough for end users to play with... ;)

EDIT: I found this in the Version 2.2 specific forums -> viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2956

It explains the current issues with Multi-Turrets. So until someone, besides the devs, fixes Multi-Turrets then it probably won't be added for a long time.
To be exact, it's stable enough (making it stable was all me, folks. -bow-). The only problems are graphics and balance. 3D graphics is not my job, so I'm leaving it to someone else. Balancing is my job, and, um... doubling the possible amount of firepower on a unit really does silly things to balance. :/ I might as well wait for someone to provide the 3D graphics before working on it.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

What is needed at at a minimum is a way to restrict multi-turret options to things that look sane in-game. That does not necessarily have to imply any graphics or UI changes. There are some combinations that are already quite sane, we just need to find a way to offer them.
Zarel wrote:To be exact, it's stable enough (making it stable was all me, folks. -bow-).
You fixed every bug in the multi-turret code since it was introduced? Wow. I must be imaging all those hours I spent hunting down invalid pointers in that code then. Or all those other bugs people fixed. O_o
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

Actually, if you look at that Warzone 2100 concept art with that fortress, it would seem that they had that kind of multi-turrets in mind, all the tanks on that rendering have 3 turrets, one main turret and two smaller turrets (MG's?) at the sides.
They looked a lot like that second image you posted.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

fisk0 wrote:Actually, if you look at that Warzone 2100 concept art with that fortress, it would seem that they had that kind of multi-turrets in mind, all the tanks on that rendering have 3 turrets, one main turret and two smaller turrets (MG's?) at the sides.
They looked a lot like that second image you posted.
It was probably for a good reason they didn't end up that way. Warhammer's type of modelling bears a lot of inspiration, quite deliberately, from antique throwbacks brought forward in time, much like steam punk. Warzone is more modern in its inspiration. I recall some WWI tanks had turrets as you describe them, but no later tank I know of did. It is just a silly placement for a gun.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

I posted this back in March:
Of real life military relevance here is Defense Contractor Baesystemsdyn's Land System Dynamics Multi-Weapon Turret ICV’s/APC’s:

Below are 3 pics of modern RL multi-weap turret designed tanks (& APC) outfitted like so:

* 30mm machine cannon
* 7.62 co-axail machine gun
* 3x Ingwe Anti-tank missiles
* 40mm Automatic Grenade Launcher (AGL)
* Additional to the weapons, six smoke launchers are also fitted.

Ammo complement:

* 30mm Cannon - 300 (100/200 split between different types)
* 40mm AGL -100
* 7.62mm Machine Gun - 2000
* AT Missiles - 3

Thinking out-side the conventional box this turret engineering provides these system benefits over the TA-35 approach:

* Increase space inside the vehicle - no turret basket using up space inside the vehicle
* Better protection for the crew - vehicle provides the protection, no weak points introduced by the turret
* Less weight - No heavy protection is required for the turret. This increases the system's mobility
* Increased firepower with high performance weapons
* Lower profile provides air transportability.

regards, whipper. :cool:
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Per wrote:What is needed at at a minimum is a way to restrict multi-turret options to things that look sane in-game. That does not necessarily have to imply any graphics or UI changes. There are some combinations that are already quite sane, we just need to find a way to offer them.
I guess that having an APC with MG or light cannon plus AT-rocket launcher is normal thing this days. Also many modern AA vehicles are equipped with double-barrel MGs and a few tubes of AA rockets. Not saying that almost any tank haves a cannon AND MG

So obviously i'm voting for restriction of MGs and Rockets (AA or not) as second weapons for heavy and medium bodies. Even if they will produce graphic bugs there will be not much pies to test and fix in this case xD
Last edited by i-NoD on 21 Jul 2009, 01:02, edited 2 times in total.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

I think multi turret - not need in warzone at all. Its wasting of time. It could be done, if all aspects of game will work perfect. IMHO
Last edited by Terminator on 21 Jul 2009, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
ouch
Trained
Trained

Post by ouch »

Terminator wrote:I think multi turret - not need in warzone at all. Its wasting of time. It could be done, if all aspects of game will work perfect.
I think kittens are not needed at all. They are a waste of time. They would be fine if they didn't have those razor sharp claws. So go punch one today!

That generates about the same shock I had after I read your post...
tehloserer
Trained
Trained

Post by tehloserer »

Zarel wrote:doubling the possible amount of firepower on a unit really does silly things to balance. :/
Agreed
Terminator wrote:I think multi turret - not need in warzone at all. Its wasting of time.
Seconded
ouch wrote:I think kittens are not needed at all. They are a waste of time. They would be fine if they didn't have those razor sharp claws. So go punch one today!
Why, what did that add to the conversation?
Death to all,
And all must die!
That's the motto,
I'm living by!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

tehloserer wrote:"I think kittens are not needed at all. They are a waste of time. They would be fine if they didn't have those razor sharp claws. So go punch one today!"
Why, what did that add to the conversation?
It was an analogy. He was comparing the statement of "multiple turrets should be removed" to "kittens should be removed".
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

I think Ouch's analogy deeply interesting, amusing and marked by a genuine wit to boot.

It asks us to consider what really amounts to a human "need".... even in the context of WZ, a game, a diverting pastime...

A case can be made that anything beyond potable water, breathable air, edible food, some fornication amongst the unusually able to propagate the species, clothes on our back and a roof over our head to protect us from mother nature's worst elements... well anything beyond those essentials or "needs" are purely luxuries or enjoyable pastimes when not preoccupied with "earning a living".

Obviously multi-turrets are not essential to enjoying a game of WZ - same can be said for mods, maps, etc created since v.1.10 in 1999 (or even from the point of WinDOZ users who played the game the first 6 years of its existence, the game's porting to other OSs). However, many who play the game feel their pleasure would be enhanced if multi-turrets were part of the gaming experience. Along with the folks who are inclined to do the work necessary to make it a reality, no further justifications are "needed" for it to exist - as in the case of romping kittens whose very existence "need" not be validated by the perceptions of pure dog-lovers or those preferring frisky goldfish.

It is also amusing that thems that have never done a lick of any sort of WZ work doth protest the loudest. Or put another way - thems that contribute little beyond PoV statements seem to want most the power to control the game's fate and the work others are willing and able to do. I say that with a simple smile of "oh, well" and not a bone of contention or acrimony or snark. To me it's just a microcosm of the world at large and you just carry-on with what you are willing and able to do to contribute positively to the cause of evolving, edifying, fortifying, development...

Regards, whip :cool:

CAVEAT: Though I reference Ouch's kitten analogy, I alone am responsible for the interpretation expressed in this post which itself I take as no more than a bemusing conversational gambit and playful lark. O_o