Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part4

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Re: Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part4

Post by Tenoh »

Ok, my turn to put in some thoughts.
1. Ally help,that includes fixing their building, giving them power or units.
2.Cannon turret is just ...well,outdated.Pls replace the model to something more realistic.Other thing about cannon is that i miss dual cannon turrets, they were cool.Maybe they can be included again?
3.Beam lasers.If i am correct we only have pulse lasers now.Can we pls add some continues beam laser that fires constantly like phasers in startrek.
4.Shields.Not sure if there were talks about them or not but it would be nice to have energy shields against energy weapons at least for the main base.Like in earth2160.
5.Structures.... i think we really need to reform how structures are researched and built.By this i mean that let say towers should be upgradeable to any weapon i choose for energy cost of course.Only basement of the tower should be researched and then any weapon can be added that was researched before that.
6.trucks and wheel propulsion models should be edited i think to make them look just a bit more realistic.I think everyone would like it. ....just a bit!
7.Base buildings should have a weapon slot or at least one internal machine gun.
8.Droid factory should produce soldiers, like scavengers lol ,just for fun! or we can use them to take over buildings in enemy bases!.. or maybe they can man the defense towers or clime on the walls and shoot from there lol! just for fun!
9.Chopper gunships! Would be cool to have something like Hinds lol! *listens to hell march2*
10.Option to have Nexus forces invade skirmish games and attack all lol!
11.A totally new equipment tree for soviets? would be nice to have them invade with new buildings, new weapons and stuff.
12.Option to unlock multi player tech for campaign after beating the campaign with out cheating.
13.A mode for tacking control of a defense tower and having fun with it, not units.
14.A main base for skirmish games.Just like Age of Empires you have a main base and from there you can start a skirmish game and getting some support as well.Mainly cause i loved having main base in Campaign.This one however should live allot longer lol.

I know many of this wont ever make it to the game but its the stuff i really would love to see.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

1. Fog of War similar to a command and conquer version where unexplored areas are black, explored areas but not directly in sight are gray (allowing you to see the terrain but giving you a visual cue that you cannot see enemy units or new structures) and the traditional clear, which is in view of your units, structures, or Uplink center. Of course this would apply to allies sensor updates as well.

2. Ally Research Indication Although I could have sworn Warzone had this in one of your previous builds, I'm finding it increasingly necessary for the research menu to be able to display what your allies are researching or just remove the current research items from the list completely. This goes for AI and human players. If it already exists please make it more noticeable?
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

zoid wrote:Make the Command Relay Center do something. Right now, you only need it so that you can research the command turret. After that, you can demolish it, and never need it again.

Possible change: Whether you have a relay center or not, your Commanders can lead your units around and direct their fires. However, the units won't get their Commander's speed/accuracy/dodging bonuses unless your Command Relay Center is operational; instead, they use their own rank bonuses. Thus, the relay center now becomes a priority target that you need to protect, as its loss will degrade C&C and nullify the benefit of using a commander.

Twist: Add a modular add-on at some point in the research (I think the game originally was supposed to have this anyway) that increases the effect somehow (or, alternately, you have to build one module per commander, for a total of 5 that you can now control just like the description says). Make the modules expensive and slow to build.

Different twist: As a true "relay" center, increase its effectiveness the closer it is to the Commander and his battle group - so now it becomes more of a field structure, one that you build just like the repair center, just behind the front lines as your tanks push forward. Make it cheap and fast to build, but easy to destroy.
I like some of what you're saying. The most important thing is, either make the CRC useful or get rid of it! I have thought about your last suggestion before. I always thought it would be too hard to implement effectively, but it's not a bad idea. Building and destroying frontline CRC's would definitely add some more strategy. The funny thing is, even with the Commander's amazing powers (that keep getting increased), I still never use Commanders in MP. Hmm...
1. Allow the CRC to act as a sort of unit limiter. This will discourage against ant swarm tactics and require more diverse strategies. Each CRC will allow you to manufacture x number of units, the more CRC's (obviously up to a number of 5) the more units. Not to mention, this allows in the mp skirmish settings for the host to effectivly limit the scale of the battle, eg how many units. however, that could make base defenses impenetrable. Is there any way to limit the number of defensive structures in a similar manner?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

J.Vaughan wrote:1. Fog of War similar to a command and conquer version where unexplored areas are black, explored areas but not directly in sight are gray (allowing you to see the terrain but giving you a visual cue that you cannot see enemy units or new structures) and the traditional clear, which is in view of your units, structures, or Uplink center. Of course this would apply to allies sensor updates as well.
It is sort of available already when you press the 'z' key. Generalizing this is on my todo list.
J.Vaughan wrote: 2. Ally Research Indication Although I could have sworn Warzone had this in one of your previous builds, I'm finding it increasingly necessary for the research menu to be able to display what your allies are researching or just remove the current research items from the list completely. This goes for AI and human players. If it already exists please make it more noticeable?
Look for the heart symbol. It has always been there.
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

Hey there, I came to think about this some time ago and apparently some other users did also. VTOLs need rearming after every attack run, while ground units feature infinite ammo. While this makes the game easier to play, it also allows for unrealisticly penetrating tank rushes and is optically unpleasing. I would therefore suggest giving units ammunition capacity and adding a supply depot and supply vehicle to the game.
Since ammo takes space aboard a unit, the ammount of ammo any vehicle or cyborg carries would be delineated by the body (capacity rises with body size) and weapon (machinegun rounds are smaller than missiles). It would require giving each body a base capacity and each weapon a mulitpier, what (I presume) is exactly how body points are calculated. Laser- or plasma-based weapons are natrually excluded from this, since the use no ammunition but are powered by the vehicles generator. The ammount of ammo any other unit can carry must of course be sufficient to last for more than a typical firefight. Otherwise rearming would be neccessary all to often.
The supply depot would neccesarily be a base structure where ammo is produced. To avoid rebalancing powerplant output, this should not require power. It has to be a depot-there/not-there-thing. What is possible is a limit as to how many units one depot can supply. When building new units, a warning similar to the "Control limit reached"-message could be posted to the player, reading somewhat like "Supply capacity reached!". He would then need to build another depot. This works similar to the depot/colony/pylon in Starcraft.
Ammo is then picked up by supply vehicles and dispensed to combat units. To keep things simple, there should only be ammo as such, not sub-types like mg-rounds, artillery-shells, missiles etc. The supply unit itself would have a turret that works quite similar to the repair-turret, only that it refills ammo instead of health. It does so from its hold, so the acual artwork would have to feature a quite bulky object, maybe a combination of truckbed and repairarm (to depict a crane) with an edgy hardtop. Giving the supply vehicle a cargo-counter wich goes down propotional to the raising of the ammo-counter on a rearmed unit, thus forcing it to reload at a depot regularly, would add to realism, but makes supply lines complicated to handle. An easier way is to make the supply turret work exactly like the repairarm. That is, it simply raises the value of the ammo-counter on the rearmed unit without having a cargo-counter itself. In addition to the supply vehicles, repair stations and supply depots should also have rearming ability. Otherwise, the supply vehicle would become an overwhelmingly crucial unit.
The described supply method would give the game an extra edge far exeeding the gain in realism. Because of differences in ammo-capacity between units with, say, heavy cannon and medium cannon (a 120 mm round takes more space than its 76 mm counterpart), the heavier weapon is not per se the better choice for every player, for one could decide to put persistence-in-combat over damage output. It would also make rushing with a great number of light, but highly persistent units such as medium body with assault gun, a viable tactic, since they could actually (though through sacrificing some of their own) deplete the ammo supply of stronger units and then mop them up while they're waiting to be rearmed.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

Ah, just like in earth 2150? well that would be more realistic.I would also add engine damage on heavy vehicles,lets say 25% chance when hp is lower then 25%? it should be same effect as emp but vehicle can still use turret.
"No, you don't want to buy this Sh[beep]t from me. It shoots sideways, it was built by retard zombies in some f[beep]king outreach program." HL:G
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Thinking about my suggested supply method, it will produce some illogical effects if only ammo can be depleted. First of all, Sensors, commanders, lasers and the like will not require supplies. Secondly, vehicles in WZ are powered by combustion engines, what means they need fuel. Depletable ammo and infinite fuel is highly illogical. As I see it, there are two solutions for this. One is changing ammo and fuel for supplies in general and make the vehicles supply-counter go down constanlty with time instead of rounds fiered. Supply capacity would be calculated as stated above, supply drain rate would be dependant from the vehicles total weight and a multiplier unique to each weapon to take ammo capacity into consideration. Hmm, somehow I have the notion this will not work at all. The other is providing seperate counters for ammo and fuel, which go down with rounds fiered and distance driven, respectivly. Ammo capacity would again be calculated like I said before, while fuel capacity would be a value unique to each body, fuel drain would be a funtion of the vehicles total wheight. The supply vehicle would refill both counters simultaneously.
In the units AI-menu, a new switch will be neccesary, analogous of the "retreat at damage" switch. It tells the unit at which supply level to retreat for rearming/refueling. To keep things simple, this should not be specific of ammo or fuel. When one of them reaches the specified limit, the unit retreats. To avoid vehicles running out of fuel, there should not be an option to make the unit deplete all it's supplies analogous to the "Victory or death"-option.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

This is a game, not a war simulation. The point is to have fun. Micromanaging ammo and fuel is not fun.
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

1. Fog of War similar to a command and conquer version where unexplored areas are black, explored areas but not directly in sight are gray (allowing you to see the terrain but giving you a visual cue that you cannot see enemy units or new structures) and the traditional clear, which is in view of your units, structures, or Uplink center. Of course this would apply to allies sensor updates as well.

It is sort of available already when you press the 'z' key. Generalizing this is on my todo list.

2. Ally Research Indication Although I could have sworn Warzone had this in one of your previous builds, I'm finding it increasingly necessary for the research menu to be able to display what your allies are researching or just remove the current research items from the list completely. This goes for AI and human players. If it already exists please make it more noticeable?
Look for the heart symbol. It has always been there.
1. Thanks, I was aware of the Z function but generalizing this would be great. This came to my attention when I was introducing some players to wz the other night. Perhaps just make the z function stick? It would make the game the slightest more user friendly.

2. I knew there was some indication, thanks for clarifying.

p.s. isn't there a way through the key mapping to basically toggle the "z" effect without having to hold the button down? Sorry to waste you're time with things I might have been able to find in the faq.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

p.s. isn't there a way through the key mapping to basically toggle the "z" effect without having to hold the button down? Sorry to waste you're time with things I might have been able to find in the faq.

nope. :D
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

The reason that the 'z' functionality cannot be toggled on permanently is that is consumes an enormous amount of CPU power when running. I need to solve that issue before allowing it to run continuously.
Tenoh
Trained
Trained

Post by Tenoh »

What about ECM function? as far as i know its not used in game? cant we use it to make targets chance to hit lower? would be fun i think.
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Per wrote:The reason that the 'z' functionality cannot be toggled on permanently is that is consumes an enormous amount of CPU power when running. I need to solve that issue before allowing it to run continuously.
That not-clipped ray-tracing method is just a dev test i presume? Surely there can be more efficient implementation...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

i-NoD wrote:That not-clipped ray-tracing method is just a dev test i presume? Surely there can be more efficient implementation...
Pumpkin never bothered to make it more efficient; that's why they made it only available by holding down a key.

It's not too difficult to make more efficient - heck, it's 1999 code running in 2009; I don't care how inefficient it is, it still runs fine with no modifications.
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Per wrote:This is a game, not a war simulation. The point is to have fun. Micromanaging ammo and fuel is not fun.
Not to you, at least. But I get the point. Well then, get rid of the idea of supply vehicles reloading goods at depots, but give them infinite cargo. And forget telling units when to resupply. Just let them do so at a fixed limit. Micromanagement would be reduced to building enough supply depots and supply vehicles or repair stations, what one will do anyway. Of course there would still be the need to pay close attention to supply capacity when designing a vehicle. But the way I understand WZ, carefully considering your designs/batallion line up is the most fun part.