Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part4

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part4

Post by Per »

The problem with the commander isn't that it is weak (I am not sure if it is), but that it is really annoying to use. Fixing the first problem without addressing the latter will just make the situation worse, not better.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Per wrote:The problem with the commander isn't that it is weak (I am not sure if it is), but that it is really annoying to use. Fixing the first problem without addressing the latter will just make the situation worse, not better.
I think it's both. I agree that we should do something about the latter. Ideas?
Samowar
Trained
Trained

Mods vs modularity

Post by Samowar »

I know it probably includes a lot of work on code that's apparently been written by Cthulhu - but it would be great if some components of the game were implemented in a modular way instead of having to modify them via mods. I'm thinking especially of balance and AI. Instead of having to enable a balance mod or the game designers deciding to include this rebalance in the next release, you'd have several subfolders in your stats folder, each containing all necessary files, and could just choose between them from a dropdown menu when starting a skirmish or mp game; the game would then load the appropriate ruleset for that game. Same thing for AI: just select for every AI player which AI should guide him - you could even decide to play against a mixed field of standard AIs and BPs. However, I'm not sure how easy this would work for AI, apparently there are seven different AIs for the different players (?) and I've seen the AI code described as "eldritch horrors" and the like.
zoid
Trained
Trained

Post by zoid »

Commander topic.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3187 :)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Mods vs modularity

Post by Zarel »

Samowar wrote:I know it probably includes a lot of work on code that's apparently been written by Cthulhu - but it would be great if some components of the game were implemented in a modular way instead of having to modify them via mods. I'm thinking especially of balance and AI. Instead of having to enable a balance mod or the game designers deciding to include this rebalance in the next release, you'd have several subfolders in your stats folder, each containing all necessary files,
So, um, you've basically just described mods. Seriously, that's exactly what a mod is.
Samowar wrote:and could just choose between them from a dropdown menu when starting a skirmish or mp game; the game would then load the appropriate ruleset for that game.
And loading mods like that is well outside of what is feasible to do with the current widget code. As my constant refrain: Wait 'til Betawidget.
Samowar wrote:Same thing for AI: just select for every AI player which AI should guide him - you could even decide to play against a mixed field of standard AIs and BPs. However, I'm not sure how easy this would work for AI, apparently there are seven different AIs for the different players (?) and I've seen the AI code described as "eldritch horrors" and the like.
Incidentally, mixing-and-matching AIs isn't that hard - each AI is already in a separate copy (an AI file contains 8 copies of its AI; one for each computer player). Heck, the old Warzone Starter let you do that, and you can still do it yourself with the right amount of copying and pasting folders. As for selecting them in-game: Wait until Betawidget. The current widget code is the true eldritch horror.
Samowar
Trained
Trained

Post by Samowar »

OK, I never actually bothered with mods as they are now, cause they looked somehow complicated and crash-prone (as I understand it, a current mod can change everything from the balance to the terrain renderer - the loadable mods I proposed would be guaranteed to change only the balance or only the AI without me having to look closer into their code) and I'm still having enough fun with vanilla Warzone for the moment. I just noticed there is no in-game option to select a different ruleset or AI. But if this is only a widget issue, I'm looking forward to betawidget.
HLG Dale
Trained
Trained
Location: at a laptop in Bury st edmunds -> (in suffolk) -> (in england)

Post by HLG Dale »

Ding! O_O

- i had an idea/ wish; ok, when flying a VTOL Transport (the one that carries cyborgs) it would be cool if you had an opion to let them parachute down to the ground in lines covering a larger area without the VTOL having to land and get shot at!! :ninja: !!
Dale- (Adjective)
means:
A person/s and/or living creture/s addicted to playing Warzone 2100.
Warzone 2100- (Name)
Is:
the best/greatest game in the world/planet that should have continued being developed into a series.
XboxJosh
Trained
Trained

Post by XboxJosh »

I would very much like to see regular transports in MP mode, like in addition to Cyborg Transports. It could be balanced with a higher cost/longer research and build time, maybe?

Alias: Cipher[SSC]

System Specs:
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional
CPU TYPE: AMD Athlon II X2 250
CPU SPEED: 3000 MHz
SYSTEM MEMORY: 4 GB (2 x 2GB, DDR2)
GRAPHICS CARD MODEL: NVidia GTS 250
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Samowar wrote:as I understand it, a current mod can change everything from the balance to the terrain renderer
A mod can change anything in the .wz files. That doesn't include any renderer.
ALiEN987
Greenhorn

Post by ALiEN987 »

increace the truck limit to 16.. one more couldnt hurt :)
HCN-Trooper
Trained
Trained

Post by HCN-Trooper »

How about being able to add a special design component for the tanks.
and with special components i mean adding an abillity to a tank, i had some abillities in mind like:

-self repair (perhaps this could be a balancing improvement) so no more autorepair for all units but only those with this component.
-cloaking field, this will make the unit apear only when it's attacking, or in range of a sensor, or very close to an enemy unit
-extra front armor, for the offencive ones
-extra rear armor, for the ones that rather flee
-Expanded engine, faster unit
-small gun, an extra small gun will be added (a small gun will be mounted on the top of the big turret, so i won't work on a small 1st weapon, and flak turrets or so)
-Laser Guide, this unit will have a laser which will work like a commander turret, your units will tend to hit the same enemy to which the laser is pointing at, further the laser will increase all acuracy of friendly units with the same target...
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

HCN-Trooper wrote:How about being able to add a special design component for the tanks.
and with special components i mean adding an abillity to a tank, i had some abillities in mind like:

-self repair (perhaps this could be a balancing improvement) so no more autorepair for all units but only those with this component.
-cloaking field, this will make the unit apear only when it's attacking, or in range of a sensor, or very close to an enemy unit
-extra front armor, for the offencive ones
-extra rear armor, for the ones that rather flee
-Expanded engine, faster unit
-small gun, an extra small gun will be added (a small gun will be mounted on the top of the big turret, so i won't work on a small 1st weapon, and flak turrets or so)
-Laser Guide, this unit will have a laser which will work like a commander turret, your units will tend to hit the same enemy to which the laser is pointing at, further the laser will increase all acuracy of friendly units with the same target...
It is a good idea. I remember talking about it before, but nobody ever got around to doing it.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Per wrote: It is a good idea. I remember talking about it before, but nobody ever got around to doing it.
Which one?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Zarel wrote: Which one?
The general idea of having a "special" component in addition to turret, body and propulsion, where we could stuff things like autorepair and cloaking abilities.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Ehh. Trucks, commanders, sensors, and repair turrets (i.e. all systems turrets) aren't even considered regular turrets. The template code for them is really messed up.