Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part4

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Dedmon
Greenhorn

Re: Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part4

Post by Dedmon »

lav_coyote25 wrote:you need to go here then... unless you have already been there...

http://guide.wz2100.net/
I've been. No where on the site does it tell you what the buildings actually do. I see stats for it's HP and armor, and a vague description described as strength.

Sensor towers, for instance. I have no clue what they do, and the site just tells me how to build them, and in what order they become available. :(
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

have you read the prerequisites .. some explanations are there.
Dedmon
Greenhorn

Post by Dedmon »

Ahah! That does help, thankyou ;)

Still, I wish it was a feature built into the game. ;)
z741
New user

Post by z741 »

hey ppl, i have played warzone2100 ever since i downloaded it. i have the latest one and have been a guest for a while. i must say the dev team here has done impressive work. though i do have the latest, i have a problem. why is it when i go to read info on researched techs, after 5 or 6, the game crashes. idk y.

but as for my wish, lets add 2 superweapons.

on top of laser sat, you could build a missile silo. from there you could build either

a neutron nuke- which kills all units in a certain blast radius while leaving buildings unharmed

or

an EMP nuke- basically a nuke with emp capabilities.

what does the whole gang say?

like or not?
warzone 2100 is a complex rtts game that is extremely enjoyable

for all noobs who don't understand, rtts = Real-Time-Tactical-Strategy

oops, hit the red button

DIE ALL NOOBS!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Dedmon wrote:I've been. No where on the site does it tell you what the buildings actually do. I see stats for it's HP and armor, and a vague description described as strength.

Sensor towers, for instance. I have no clue what they do, and the site just tells me how to build them, and in what order they become available. :(
Cough. I've gotta add more cross-references.

http://guide.wz2100.net/sensors
scorpion9
Greenhorn

Post by scorpion9 »

hi!

ive got some "simple" wishes.
1) in multi player lobby chat, nothing should interrupt your typing. sometimes it is impossible to write anything, each time someone joins,changes is color, team, name etc etc my text is either deleted or mouse cursor is removed from the chat box. very annoying.
2) In multi player, when host leaves, pass the host obligations to someone else in game, or do something that would let u finish the game. its so frustrating that only the host can actually win, or players in hosts team. dunno....it would probably require some payed server service to get normal multi player running(and it wont happen i know)
3) in multi again, when the game wont get any response from the server, "connection error" or something similar, it very often causes the game to crash in a way ive never seen any other app to do. pressing ctrl alt del wont minimize the game. ctrl esc neither. what i discovered was that the game is minimized, but the screen wont be redrawn. the wz image just overlays the deskdop. Mouse cursor shows that its on desktop already. i can run apps etc by randomly double clicking on screen.
the only thing that fixes it is when i happen to run "Anno 1602" game. it will delete the wz screen. so...in conclusion, better error handling. just close the wz and give some info. (this point probably fits into bug tracker better)
4) Show games that are allreadin playing in lobby menu. also show Players in lobby, waiting the game. so if someone checks the lobby, he can see that there are players waiting and games in play etc, so there is some activity.
5) Lobby again. When someone kicks you, why does it ban you from entire lobby? wtf....its like one dude doesnt want me to play in his game, and that gives him right to ban me from the entire lobby. well jeah...i know quiting wz and restarting fixes it, but it shouldnt be this way.
6) accessing allies menu in multiplayer on laptop with one enter. ive heard that there is a way, but no-one knows it. some said its fn+enter,but nope.
so its a question more than a wish i guess. how do i access allied menu on laptop. if there is no way....then thats my wish.
7) general problem. I would like to be able to edit tank properties like retreat on x damage, while the tank is under attack. Currently when i have set the tank to retreat at medium damage, i cant change that while tank is being attacked. each bullet hit will close the window.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

scorpion9 wrote:1) in multi player lobby chat, nothing should interrupt your typing. sometimes it is impossible to write anything, each time someone joins,changes is color, team, name etc etc my text is either deleted or mouse cursor is removed from the chat box. very annoying.
Known for ages. It used to be even worse - the entire screen would blank for a few seconds each time someone joins or changes color/team/name. I fixed that part, but I'm not sure how to fix the text reset.
scorpion9 wrote:2) In multi player, when host leaves, pass the host obligations to someone else in game, or do something that would let u finish the game. its so frustrating that only the host can actually win, or players in hosts team. dunno....it would probably require some payed server service to get normal multi player running(and it wont happen i know)
...yeah, so not going to happen in the short term. It's on the long-term to-do list.
scorpion9 wrote:3) in multi again, when the game wont get any response from the server, "connection error" or something similar, it very often causes the game to crash in a way ive never seen any other app to do. pressing ctrl alt del wont minimize the game. ctrl esc neither. what i discovered was that the game is minimized, but the screen wont be redrawn. the wz image just overlays the deskdop. Mouse cursor shows that its on desktop already. i can run apps etc by randomly double clicking on screen.

the only thing that fixes it is when i happen to run "Anno 1602" game. it will delete the wz screen. so...in conclusion, better error handling. just close the wz and give some info. (this point probably fits into bug tracker better)
Yeah, I blame bad netcode. Nothing I can do about that, but we do plan on eventually fixing it.
scorpion9 wrote:4) Show games that are allreadin playing in lobby menu. also show Players in lobby, waiting the game. so if someone checks the lobby, he can see that there are players waiting and games in play etc, so there is some activity.
Betawidget.

The UI code is a mess, so we really can't change very much of it until we replace it with Betawidget. Considering we haven't finished writing Betawidget, this could take a while.
scorpion9 wrote:5) Lobby again. When someone kicks you, why does it ban you from entire lobby? wtf....its like one dude doesnt want me to play in his game, and that gives him right to ban me from the entire lobby. well jeah...i know quiting wz and restarting fixes it, but it shouldnt be this way.
It doesn't - pressing Refresh or going back to the Main Menu and back will generally do it.
scorpion9 wrote:6) accessing allies menu in multiplayer on laptop with one enter. ive heard that there is a way, but no-one knows it. some said its fn+enter,but nope.
so its a question more than a wish i guess. how do i access allied menu on laptop. if there is no way....then thats my wish.
Heh. Warzone's key combos were designed before laptops were popular. Unless you have a bad laptop, Fn+Enter should work. I've been meaning to make the Intelligence screen open it, too, but until then, just go into Options -> Key Mappings and change it to something you can use.
scorpion9 wrote:7) general problem. I would like to be able to edit tank properties like retreat on x damage, while the tank is under attack. Currently when i have set the tank to retreat at medium damage, i cant change that while tank is being attacked. each bullet hit will close the window.
Use key combos. I've been meaning to have a better fix eventually, but until then...
jonrio
Greenhorn

Post by jonrio »

speed limitation to 0.3 and a new weapon gatling machinegun small turret
Richens
New user

Post by Richens »

I've created this as a ticket, wasn't sure if I was supposed to or not.. But..

I think the ability for the host while in the game creation screen (where every one is joining and selecting their teams) should be able to change peoples Teams and Starting Positions.

This would help when trying to play teamwars or other 2 sided attacking maps which some people dont understand the prinsable of! :scream:
Air Up There
Greenhorn

Post by Air Up There »

straight to the point: I wish warzone had a software renderer again OR an option for an dedicated multiplayer server. Point is that there are many people out there playing the game online, but there are some people that dont have a routable IP(like me) or just not the privileges to open up the ports at their routers. I tried to set up a server via VNC from my root server, but it drops out saying it could not setup GLX visuals which is because my server doesnt have 3D Extensions. So far it used to work in the days when the software renderer was still in the game code, and I wish to see that happen again.

Alternatively I am currently working on my own wz build, which is just the game but stripped all the graphics and added a web server for server management. This comes close to the solution I would like except the server would always block a player slot(because my solution is just a hack).

However, it does not yet work, and as I get it working I will post it in the dev section.
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Post by psychopompos »

make steep slopes cliffs impassable by inclination angle, rather then passable /impassable tile.
would make for more diverse tactics, and since there is already a hill acceleration/climb measurement in game to an extent

best to worst
borg
track
half track
wheels
hover

would also be interesting to see different terrain types affect propulsion/weight classes.
sand, rock, smooth, rough, bog/marsh.
DarkCheetah
Trained
Trained

Post by DarkCheetah »

more upgradeable structures " Ex. factory can be 1 2 and 3 , how about a 4th one that costs a bit more, having a defense system and faster production?

how about upgradable hardpoints? for a defense structure they'r pretty weal

new stronger ai who can take down me or my dad XD

Game mode: Suvival: incomming waves of enemy's, like an Art of Defense (skirmish campaign 7 with new paradigm is good example ;) )
... where did all the good ol classic ai's gone to? Turtle AI , Super AI
ALiEN987
Greenhorn

Post by ALiEN987 »

i wish for a tank transport.. and bring back vtol trucks.. but make it so you have to research it later in the game. Maybe new graphics for it too.. so it can go under the body instead the top. it'd also be neat if it didnt have to land to build.. instead it just does small circles around the structure while it builds.. that way aa can shoot it down too. i understand this is a balance issue.. but maybe we can make it work. also what about a ground transport for cyborgs.. they would make tempting targets so itd have to be strong. instead of firing at an enemy it would just release angry cyborgs at it :) also i thought.. why not have a cyborg jump in the back of a truck.. so it can shoot while the truck builds. What about a storage facility that keeps all of your unused tanks in a structure for later use. So when my comp slows from having 200 units.. im not forced to recycle or sacrifice units. This would take some coding with the production limit too i suppose. When u put ingineer cyborgs in a transport.. u can build more trucks.. then empty your transport to have 30 trucks... tried it and crashed my game. So i think it should be fixed anywho. So thats all i can think of for now.
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

What i think it should be changed/added/is missing

-it would be cool if you could use the design menu to actually design some defensive structures. I would have liked something like, i research the small tower, the bunker base, and i research the wall that hold turrets, then i can put any turret i want on my newly researched wall types.... this would simplify a whole lot of research entries and at the same time, reduce the amount of structures on the build menu which sometimes its quite hard to find what you want to do.

-where are the bridges? bridges could even hold 2 turrets on them... another example of a cool thing with the defensive structure design menu.

-This game should have way more multi-player maps, it would be cool to have a random generator of land, check the Dark Reign Map designer, you can build a good multi-player map in minutes with this method, what the heck even the sim city 2000 map designer would be useful here if we had it.

-you should be able to put several research facilities to research the same topic, to fasten up things... there are some things that just take a life to finish. Same with factories but with a different approach, if you have 5 factories, and only put one to work make things faster since factories share resources between each other (maybe this can be the same approach used with research facilities)

-the thing that shows up with the Z button pressed, vision range or what ever you like to call it, should be ON all round long. this is so useful!!! (just reduce the amount of time it takes to update so it wont be that heavy, since now it seems it refreshes every tick, make it update like no more than each 0.5 secs, and you should be good with performance)

-Build menu for cyborgs, so you don't have the ones you don't use

-Make the money barrels only pickable by constructors same as researches boxes... this one goes related to the next one.

-when an enemy unit dies... make it transform into a little money barrel with 1/4 of the cost of the unit, this way when you loose some units you wont be loosing all, but if you loose all your units, then your enemy might win some advantage, this is another incentive to keep your unit live and kicking. (and if they are pickable only by constructors, then you can still focus on killing with your normal units, and give it some work to those unused constructors)

-Maybe adding some other resource needed would make this game a little bit more interesting, like a metal pit, so you need metal to build your units too, and when units are killed they leave their corps on the battlefield so they can be picked up and recycled. (instead of the above of drooping the money barrel), this is a good way to add more deepness to the game, without adding much more complexity, and of course a good excuse to add some fresh new buildings, the metal pit extractor (like the oil thing), and the Metal Plant (something like the energy plant), and of course the metal recycler for that recovered metal. Also you can add a new turret type, the metal gatherer, to pick up the scraps left on the battlefield.

-Mine bot, this is like a spider mine kind of thing, when it moving it visible to everyone, but when it set, it wont move and its invisible to the enemy, maybe just a little hint but dificult to actually see, for the player setting them, when they are set they will look transparent. Make a special radar type or radar enhancement, to make them visible.

-I have read all post and i second the idea of having something else like a add-on to the desig menu, like a special ability, this would make some researchs like auto-repair, better ammo, fire armo, something to add, and not something that every one has. Same as resistant circuits. I think you could add like 2 or 3 of these little things to any unit you want to build. That would make strategies more interesting, since not all your unit have the same perks on them, and things like nexus would actually be useful again. Add some little images next to the tank when selecting it, so we can know what perks it has on, without having to go to the build menu to check it out.. and worst if we already deleted the design.

Good ideas list for this: explode on kill (could be good for several upgrades for increased range, and power, and good for a kamikaze tank or cyborg), auto-repair (remove it from all, add it here), heat armor (not everyone should have this), ammunition types (normal, penetrating, explosive, acid, etc), resistant circuits (remove from all, nexus becomes a useful thing again since not all you tanks would have this on), most of the things that are upgrades for all, can become one of this things, like better armor, accuracy things like scopes for cyborgs, and target designator things, etc etc.

-Teleporter: a building where you can store 5 units and have them instantly teleport anywhere on the map... has reloading time for reuse. and you can build up to 5 of these little things.

-vision blocker?: I don't really know how to call this thing, but its pretty much like a tower that puts the Fog of war back on for you enemy, not even the big Satellite Uplink can see when this thing is on. C&C Read alert has this thing, its called Gap Generator. Would be a very cool addition to the strategic part of the game.

-New cyborg types: long range sniper (expensive, slow move, slow fire rate, no damage on vehicles, 1 shot kill for cyborgs)

-Spy/Saboteur: have a unit transform into a enemy unit (cyborgs only), these little sucker can get into your research facilities, which will open up a list of the researchs the enemy has (that you don't to shorten the list), and you can steal the blueprints of that tech. Once inside the building and picked up the blue print to steal, then a loading bar will start moving up with a initial 40% chance of getting caught, this chance can be lowered with some upgrades to your stealing capabilities. If successful you will immediately exit the enemy building and you need to take those stolen blueprints (artifacts now) to your research facilities, if you get caught your saboteur will exit the enemy building and will automatically de-transform to your normal unit, and of course take enemy fire. if you saboteur gets killed and has already stolen some blueprints, on dead he will leave an artifact on the ground.

-Work on scaling - things like factories should be like 1 or 2 tiles bigger, and cyborgs should be smaller (1/2 size) with smaller fire power, lower armor.

I have lots of ideas, such as many of you of course, but there are just some
javierkaiser
Trained
Trained

Post by javierkaiser »

TL,DR

Please, get ride of the of the Fortress and similar (bastions, etc), those are so over-sized it hurts. I'm not against having some overpowered defense of that kind... but bigger isn't always better. At least, in a aesthetic way. Maybe leaving them, but changing the models...

and, something else? Maybe more default maps... the rest of the game is great by now. :)

Oh, another idea... give incendiary mortar/howitzer a trail of fire, or make it looks like it's a ball of fire instead of a projectile, that would be awesome. :)