Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 3

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
TheDaze
Trained
Trained

Re: Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 3

Post by TheDaze »

Souless Existance wrote:TheDaze first of all go play some strategy games, on the professional level :) then find out what "FUN" means.
The suggestions that i have seen by you would truly ruin the game and REDUCE realism and fun of the actual game.

The way you "TheDaze" make it sound like is as if the units magicaly earned experience. LOL @ you!
A more skilled player is able to increase his units experience more efficiently by keeping it alive longer, thus allowing him to EARN better units through the spending of time and effort in game.
If the experience system becomes problematic it should be balanced better not removed.

Unit Fatique would really decrease the fun in the game by a large margin.
It sounds neither you nor I can produce any hard proof for what we are saying is true. All we both have are mental projections. To see who got it right we would need a working model, which not by coincidence is called "proof of concept" by professionals.

What is certain though is that my suggestion is aimed at better balancing the experience points system. You need White because you cannot balance Black with more Black. Just the same, you can not balance experience points with more experience points. If you don't quite understand that, I can try to explain better. What you call "camping" is what the military (you know, the professionals) call fortification. Wz stands out with an exceptional assortment of defensive structures. Can you explain their purpose in your strategy? So, they have no purpose? Maybe it is you who is not playing the right strategy game.
Souless Existance
New user

Post by Souless Existance »

TheDaze wrote: It sounds neither you nor I can produce any hard proof for what we are saying is true. All we both have are mental projections. To see who got it right we would need a working model, which not by coincidence is called "proof of concept" by professionals.

What is certain though is that my suggestion is aimed at better balancing the experience points system. You need White because you cannot balance Black with more Black. Just the same, you can not balance experience points with more experience points. If you don't quite understand that, I can try to explain better. What you call "camping" is what the military (you know, the professionals) call fortification. Wz stands out with an exceptional assortment of defensive structures. Can you explain their purpose in your strategy? So, they have no purpose? Maybe it is you who is not playing the right strategy game.
Considering after i got used to playing strategy games or generaly most video games at a professional/experienced level i realised how much fun they actualy are especialy if you want to play them competitively and how much the factor of balance actualy affects that "fun". To compare the style of play at a state of good balance would put the non camping player at a serious advantage. Example: you camp/fortify your base while i stroll across the map taking every available resource point i can, im sure you know where im coming from. :) its quite hard to make a proper realistic strategy game without removing the factor of fun and the point of it being a game not some government made strategy/war simulator.

A finer balance in the experience point system would be good, i dont disagree with that.

i have a decent amount of experience in modding and balancing a game/mod and i want to use this knowlege and contribute to this project some how so im slowly getting to know the pc version of this good old classic.

I used to play this game on playstation one ages ago and it has been one of my favourite strategy games of all time because of the approach it takes to the genre.

I think it would be beneficial to both of us to discuss this further :) got msn? add me [email protected]
TheDaze
Trained
Trained

Post by TheDaze »

Considering after i got used to playing strategy games or generaly most video games at a prof7essional/experienced level i realised how much fun they actualy are especialy if you want to play them competitively and how much the factor of balance actualy affects that "fun". To compare the style of play at a state of good balance would put the non camping player at a serious advantage. Example: you camp/fortify your base while i stroll across the map taking every available resource point i can, im sure you know where im coming from. :) its quite hard to make a proper realistic strategy game without removing the factor of fun and the point of it being a game not some government made strategy/war simulator.
What made you believe I was not aware of the importance of resources? One other mental projection: you stroll around looking for resources while I whip up fifteen machinegun viper wheels and find your base defenseless. Only then I start looking for resources and take them from you easily as taking candy from a defenseless child who will refuse to fortify. Now that's fun! Not!
A finer balance in the experience point system would be good, i dont disagree with that.
Right now, such as it is, it is not balanced at all. It is only tuned down and has hardly any effect on the power of the units. Ever heard of someone winning a (WZ) battle because he used experienced units? Me neither. I would like to see experience to count for something. But, without counterweight it would tip the game over. Hence, my suggestion.
i have a decent amount of experience in modding and balancing a game/mod and i want to use this knowlege and contribute to this project some how so im slowly getting to know the pc version of this good old classic. I used to play this game on playstation one ages ago and it has been one of my favourite strategy games of all time because of the approach it takes to the genre.
Welcome to the club.
I think it would be beneficial to both of us to discuss this further :) got msn? add me [email protected]
The forum will be quite enough, but thanks nonetheless.
lkcl
New user

single-person-viewpoint "individual piece control" in multip

Post by lkcl »

an absolutely great idea would be to allow dozens or more of multiplayer users to "get involved" by controlling *individual* vehicles or cyborgs. how to teach someone the boredom of war, by making them stand idle for most of the game - i realise this is a slight down-side! but leaving that aside, the possibility for controlling individual pieces, especially when an entire army is involved, would bring a really interesting dimension to the game.

the individual piece-control would of course be first-person viewpoint (like all the shoot-em-up games) and i believe that the _combination_ of "overview" and "first person" in a single game would be _particularly_ exciting. no _additional_ special coding should be needed: the game's 3D rendering of perspective should be perfectly adequate for the job.

an extra twist would be to make individual pieces "commanders", allowing them to give orders to a particular group of units. but, from their own limited perspective and range.

a _third_ twist could be to have _two_ people controlling e.g. a tank - one with a mobile turret: they'd pair up. one controls movement; the other controls firing.

l.
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

Howdy folks..
I havnt really posted for a long time now, im amazed to see how the wish list topic has grown like a cancer! ;)

Im playing the game again and using wz2100 to try and teach my boy about tactics and stuff.
Warzone rocks for such, but has the huge problems of desync and lack of pause in multi player.

So my latest wish is the ability to pause, with a menu option on host screen to select say 3/5/10/unlimited pauses. and you could use the pauses to allow the desync to repair itself.

Im sure there are a few old timers such as myself that use the classics of our youth to pass on our skills to the next generation, so i consider a multiplayer pause a high priority. 10 hour games does not please the missus when there are other kids to look after =D

EDIT: Also, we need a chat room somewhere in wz2100.net to talk live and organise games..just an idea ;)
Atum
New user

Tech-Tree Problems

Post by Atum »

Hi, I'm quite new to this game, and it's fun... as long as it's over soon. I get lost in this tech tree very soon and I just start klicking at any upgrade that's available :/ So how about this:
you can open the complete tech-tree while ingame, klick any upgrade you want to get (one special weapon e.g.) and your research facilities mark the upgrades step by step you need to have for your "end point" upgrade (sorry, my english is not the best, i hope you got an idea of what i wanted). So you don't research unnecissary stuff.

Atum
Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Post by Alpha93 »

Mean something like E2150:escape from the blue planet?
Xfire-->chris37killer
Atum
New user

Post by Atum »

Alpha93 wrote:Mean something like E2150:escape from the blue planet?
Don't know that game, but it looks like a tech tree ;)
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

Atum wrote:Don't know that game, but it looks like a tech tree ;)
it is exactly what you want to have
you click on the latest research, and the labs are doing the rest automatically
Atum
New user

Post by Atum »

Sounds great. But it should just research when I want to (maybe I like to build something instead research stuff with my money). Would that be possible for warzone2100 ?
LoVeR
New user

Post by LoVeR »

I wish me: ( xD )

-Team Chat for Multipalyer
-give other players Buildings
-higher Unit Limit
-AIvolution which work on custom maps
-embedded Custommaps
-experience for defense struktur (result in more damage/faster reloading)
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

Don't know, if somebody already suggested that, but i want:

Unit Formations:

Sometimes you want Units with LongRange-Weapons behind Units which don't have that high Ranges. It doesn't make much Sense to have LongRange-Weapons to be vanward, because sometimes they don't fire, e.g. Arch Angel Missilie-Units have to drive away first to fire the Enemy. Or Units without any Weapons, e.g. Commanders or Sensors. They shouldn't be vanward, they just get destroyed.
Especially when you have a Commander-Unit controlling it's Troop, there is the Problem, that if you want to move the Commander to get away from Bombardment, the whole Troop moves too. :/ One Click should only highlight the Commander Unit alone and double click should highlight the Commander Unit together with the designed Troop.

Control: Highlight Units, rightclick one of them and choose the desired Formation. They deploy immediately. Doable with a Commander too, then you just right click on the Commander and do the same.
:ninja:
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Post by Arreon »

I have 4 wishes.

1: Upgrade the AI so that they use droid sensors and indirect-fire weapons together. It would make better use of the counter-battery sensors.

2: Allow the option of multiple turrets for droids and structures. This would make the game a lot more fun. But there has to be a price. The combined cost of the weapons and weight for example. There should be a maximum of 1 turret for light bodies, 2 for medium, and 3 for heavy. The game should also take the average of the 3 turrets' body points and apply them, that way there is no unfair advantage. There should also be a maximum of 3 turrets for guard towers and hardpoints, 2 for emplacements and bunkers, and 5 for fortresses, still keeping the power cost in check.

3: There should be an option, to design your own defenses in addition to wish 2 (after you have researched the structures of course).

4: Enable the option of disabling the Laser Satellite on the shirmish menu. Many people are worrying over this thing as this can wipe out half of your base. I too hate the thing and would prefer a fair fight over this thing.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Arreon wrote:1: Upgrade the AI so that they use droid sensors and indirect-fire weapons together. It would make better use of the counter-battery sensors.
Our AI can't support this yet. Maybe some other time.
Arreon wrote:2: Allow the option of multiple turrets for droids and structures. This would make the game a lot more fun. But there has to be a price. The combined cost of the weapons and weight for example. There should be a maximum of 1 turret for light bodies, 2 for medium, and 3 for heavy. The game should also take the average of the 3 turrets' body points and apply them, that way there is no unfair advantage. There should also be a maximum of 3 turrets for guard towers and hardpoints, 2 for emplacements and bunkers, and 5 for fortresses, still keeping the power cost in check.
Already in the game. It's a max of 1 turret for light and medium, and 2 for heavy. Game takes total body points; it's not a particularly unfair advantage since the price is also increased and the speed is decreased because of the increased weight.

This is, by the way, not enabled by default in 2.1, because there are still some bugs in it. You can download trunk, my rebalance mod or a multi-turret mod to enable it.
Arreon wrote:3: There should be an option, to design your own defenses in addition to wish 2 (after you have researched the structures of course).
This has been suggested, and might happen by 2.3.
Arreon wrote:4: Enable the option of disabling the Laser Satellite on the shirmish menu. Many people are worrying over this thing as this can wipe out half of your base. I too hate the thing and would prefer a fair fight over this thing.
Already in the game. Click "Structure Limits" in the upper left, and limit the number of LasSats to 0. It's perfectly fair, though; by the time it comes up you should have enough defense upgrades for stronger structures to survive it, and it takes ridiculously long to recharge. On average, you need 20 LasSats to do as much damage over time as one fully upgraded Ripple Rockets, and those come much earlier in the tech tree and can shoot about as far. It's much fairer of a fight than the rest of Warzone's long-range artillery if you ask me.
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Post by Arreon »

I tried using the balance mod you suggested, but nothing changed. I probably extracted it to the wrong place. Can you tell me where to extract the files to?
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM