Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 3

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Re: Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 3

Post by Arreon »

1 new wish:

Enable an option on the Shirmish menu to "Observe" a game. Many people would love to see human or computer players battle it out and enjoy the show.

This will be very popular with the players and also programmers and testers to see how the different parts of a game interact with each other.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Arreon wrote:I tried using the balance mod you suggested, but nothing changed. I probably extracted it to the wrong place. Can you tell me where to extract the files to?
You don't extract it. You take the .wz file and put it in Program Files/Warzone 2100/mods/global/autoload/
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Some of my wants and ideas:
1) WZM format to support more than one decimal place for its points (pie format currently allows one, or at least seems to)
Either 2a) When tiledraw in features.txt is set to 0 it removes the tiles under the feature.
Or 2b) Allow tiles other than water tiles to have transparency again.
3) Spectator mode for multiplayer games
4) Lobby chat
5) Allow hosts to boot people from their games.
6) Fix problems with 7 and 8 sided polygons. (7 sided polygons look really wierd and 8 sided polygons crash)
7) A forth campaign
8) Reduce the Wyvern's size and stats and make it a super heavy medium body. (its internal name points towards it being a medium name)
9) Add a super heavy light body to go alongside the Wyvern and Dragon.
10) More things that can be edited using .wz files (such as being able to change the pie file that flame weapons use)
11) Support for maps that don't have 2, 4 or 8 players.
12) A random position button for multiplay.
13) All the tenth research items to be added (Cyborg Bonded Laminates is an example of one of them, can be found in names.txt)
14) Bridges
15) New indestructible features that can only be removed by trucks demolishing them. (Wrecks)
16) T4 stuff
17) ECMs
I think that should do for now. :)
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

Zarel wrote:Click "Structure Limits" in the upper left, and limit the number of LasSats to 0.
äähhh....sorry? O_o
I can only set the limit for the ComCenter, so you can see the whole map, not for the LasSat ?!?

version: Trunk 6552 and 6628
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Thyranim wrote:äähhh....sorry? O_o
I can only set the limit for the ComCenter, so you can see the whole map, not for the LasSat ?!?

version: Trunk 6552 and 6628
You can limit LasSats. It's on the second page.
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

Mysteryem wrote:17) ECMs
What are ECMs?
Zarel wrote:You can limit LasSats. It's on the second page.
wz21003.jpg
wz2100.jpg
Both 2.1.1 and Trunk r6634.I want the LasSat to be deactivatable too. And real 10 Power Generators like the Limit Screen says.
wz21002.jpg
:ninja:
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

ECMs (or Electronic CounterMeasures) are for jamming and confusing radars, sensors and other kinds of signals. You can read more about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_countermeasures
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Mysteryem wrote:Some of my wants and ideas:
1) WZM format to support more than one decimal place for its points (pie format currently allows one, or at least seems to)
Since WZM will take some time still before it hits the streets, I can try to look into the PIE issue. How do you tell that only one decimal place is used?
Mysteryem wrote: Either 2a) When tiledraw in features.txt is set to 0 it removes the tiles under the feature.
Or 2b) Allow tiles other than water tiles to have transparency again.
2b will be part of the new terrain release, I believe. Since it has a considerable performance impact, I am slightly hesitant to enable it for the current releases.
Mysteryem wrote: 6) Fix problems with 7 and 8 sided polygons. (7 sided polygons look really wierd and 8 sided polygons crash)
Why do you need 7 and 8 sided polygons? When WZM arrives, only triangles will be supported (but do not worry, I have written a converter that tessellates any PIE model into a triangles mesh for you).
Mysteryem wrote: 9) Add a super heavy light body to go alongside the Wyvern and Dragon.
Isn't super heavy light body a contradiction in terms?
Mysteryem wrote: 17) ECMs
On my TODO list.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Per wrote:Since WZM will take some time still before it hits the streets, I can try to look into the PIE issue. How do you tell that only one decimal place is used?
It could be that pie slicer only uses points to 1 decimal place. If you try to use more than 1 it rounds the point's coordinate to the nearest whole number. (The old version of pie slicer might work, I find it crashes less and works better, but is a lot less user friendly.
Per wrote:Why do you need 7 and 8 sided polygons? When WZM arrives, only triangles will be supported (but do not worry, I have written a converter that tessellates any PIE model into a triangles mesh for you).
Instead of having to split polygons up, then finding out that it's mucked the texturing up and then having to texture it again is a real pain.
Per wrote: Isn't super heavy light body a contradiction in terms?
It would be slightly cheaper, lighter and stronger than the retribution, but it would be able to be produced from a factory with no modules and would much quicker to produce. Anyway, the heavy class has a super heavy body, I think the medium class should so the light class should aswell, so it isn't left out.
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

Zi-Chan wrote:[...]And real 10 Power Generators like the Limit Screen says.[...]
this was a bug in the original WZ, where you have to touch every limit-slider, so it really is the number it shows.

didn't realize it's still here, but i'll test this...

and thanks for the screenshots. same on my side, i cannot adjust the max number of lassat !
Arreon
Trained
Trained

Post by Arreon »

I have 3 new wishes:

1: Enable an option that let's you "Observe" games. In other words, watch players battle each other.

2: Customize the AI so that they use Ripple Rockets, EMP weapons, and more template designs.

3: Enable a design menu that lets you design your own defenses. You could have a needle gun emplacement, a tank-killer Guard Tower, or an assault cannon emplacement.
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T (6 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
fulano
Greenhorn

Post by fulano »

Arreon wrote:Enable a design menu that lets you design your own defenses. You could have a needle gun emplacement, a tank-killer Guard Tower, or an assault cannon emplacement.
I have wondered why there weren't more defense varieties available, but then I thought a pulse laser bunker or scourge bunker would be a rather deadly feature and make turtling all the easier.

If the price was adjusted a little more so emplacements were really cheap and bunkers were pricy enough you'd think twice about building them it might make this feature better if it was ever set up.

I do think this feature would be really nice because I hate having all the unused defensive structures in the research and build menus. It would be especially cool if multi turret buildings came about.
Rider
Trained
Trained

Post by Rider »

Being able to select which position each player/AI starts on would be a great addition, especially for teamplay matches!
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

.... A not so rambling muse... ;)

- The way trucks are implemented in WZ is an example of K.I.S.S game design like having only one resource, oil. If there are no substantive trade-offs then the design is elegant. If there are valuable trade-offs in K.I.S.S.-ing then there's room to re-think what is.

- Construction types, aka Trucks, must be second in the category of "least variations" (ECM's are first; Repair & Commanders are third).

- The question becomes are the trade-offs really more a loss of valuable tac & strat opportunities than elegant K.I.S.S. in the service of reduced complexity as manifested in minimal micro-management.

- I'm not sure what the answer is but here is an alternative outside the current box.

- There are basically four elements to a construction unit:

- Cost: How much time & energy is required to make the constructor ?
- Weight: How much does it weigh the unit down ?
- Durability: How much damage can it sustain ?
- Efficiency: How quickly does it build stuff ?

- Let's look at a handful of possible new construction units in this thought experiment..

* Group Constructor - This baby is cheap, very fast, and can make a great scout unit. Moderately durable, but suffers from some efficiency problems; it works best in groups.

* Defense Constructor - Blindingly efficient; capable of perfmorning a workload equivalent to 3 standard trucks. However, it's somewhat costlier, noticeably heavier, and not as durable; these guys are best used in your own base, safe from attack and where distances are short.

* Army Constructor - A great thing to take along for your away missions. Noticeably more durable than typical trucks, but its also costlier.

* Pre-Fab Constructor - Basically, a "defense Constructor Mk3"; its strengths are better but its weaknesses are worse.

* Blitz Constructor - Carries raw, pre-fabricated materials to its site for near-instantaneous construction rates. Both fast and efficient, but is a bit fragile and carries a high price.

"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Being able to select which position each player/AI starts on would be a great addition, especially for teamplay matches!
Click on the tiny number under your flag. Then check the map preview to see where you are.
/me just learned this the other day.