Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 3

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
r1ky
Greenhorn

Re: Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 3

Post by r1ky »

More unit shortcut keys. Mainly to separate Ground attack units/Anti-Aircraft units/VTOL's. I hate having my AA gunners following the rest of my units when I Ctrl+A.
---
r1ky
GameCharmer
New user

Post by GameCharmer »

I donno if this has been posted yet, but an auto-research function.

Something that allows the user to choose which research center(s) the user would like to set to Auto-Research. Just have it use the top most research option, or you could get fancy and select categories of research, such as base research, turret research, cybord, vtol, etc. It would really help out on levels where managing troops is more important than deciding on what to research next. Same goes for levels where you can just sit back and defend for a while.

~GC
Starclopsofish
Greenhorn

Post by Starclopsofish »

Hi all! This is my first post here.

I remember playing this game when I was a kid, I was overcome with warm and fuzzy feelings when a search for open source RTS games led me here. Anyway, enough with the nostalgia. I had a couple questions for everyone here (since these wishlist threads are LONG....lol- a search didn't turn up any answers.)

Has anyone else brought up the issue of the RMB rotating the camera? In most games, you hold this down to quickly pan across the map. Very handy, you dont have to waste time moving to the edge of the screen and such. A lot more comfortable too! This is one of the only things I can find wrong with the interface... In fact I think its mostly superior to many modern games. For example, no confusing LMB to confirm construction but RMB to confirm unit orders. Everything's consistant, just like C&C- LMB increments and confirms, and RMB decrements and cancels. Feels SOOO good to play.

Also, I was looking at the roadmap and for the 2.(3?) release one of the goals is for it to be the "improved graphics release". What exactly are you guys thinking about improving? Increase the polycount limit (from what I've read here, it's relatively low) or add normal mapping? I have some experience with Blender and I'd be glad to help out with some of the modeling (read: SOME- nothing fancy, but there's a lot I could do as far as modeling improved structures, etc...) Anyway, there's my 2 cents and inquiry. I'd really love for this project to succeed. There are some good open source shooters, but I'm just ITCHING for some RTS action on Linux :D
fulano
Greenhorn

Post by fulano »

GameCharmer wrote:I donno if this has been posted yet, but an auto-research function.

Something that allows the user to choose which research center(s) the user would like to set to Auto-Research. Just have it use the top most research option, or you could get fancy and select categories of research, such as base research, turret research, cybord, vtol, etc. It would really help out on levels where managing troops is more important than deciding on what to research next. Same goes for levels where you can just sit back and defend for a while.

~GC
Or even if you could open a tech tree and pick a tech and the research center will research everything it needs to get to that point, probably researching in order of the cheapest tech first.
Timmay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Timmay »

I searched fort his „idea“ and found it already in the second whish list thread but nobody replied to especially this so I just dare to whish this a second time.

Saving the game during multiplayer, it this possible to implant?

I played yesterday via LAN a battle whit a friend, which took more than 3 hours, it was hilarious.
Unfortunately one of the Computers crashed down and the game was over. To reduce this a save function would be really good.
hjhjhj
Trained
Trained

Post by hjhjhj »

hmm, i have an idea of building defenses on water... Yeah! Water..

Like building something that is tough to get with out the water.. hmm, tracks(?)..
A strategy will be to have some waterways covered up with defenses, so you wont be vurnable to any attacks from the water
(Map 2 player(cant remember name) that someone has upgraded to a 4 player map)name Will come later..
Edit: Teamhighground....

And/or having more options in the cyborg list, like a Cyborg pulselaser(water)

The game would be better, and more challenging than before..

(Sorry for my bad Engslish)

Regards Stefan from Danmark : :ninja:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
AKA. Balano
zslader
New user

Post by zslader »

this is my first post, and im kindof a noob. correct me if i ask for anything which is already here.
My wishlist:
-some kind of sticky keys thing for the mouse (ive disoriented myself several times by accidently clicking and dragging the right mouse button)
-a "price" listing and time estimate for creating buildings and units. (estimate based on current engineering technology after power usage when using only one truck -- power "price" to popup after holding mouse over unit or building for a short time)
-an accessible out-of-game or in-game research tree (you guys have a butt-load of research possibilities.)
-more maps included with installation of game
-easier to tell the difference between different tanks when playing with high res (tanks are small, i have to click on them to tell the difference between cannons and machine guns)
-update portable version
-something to help keep from designing duplicate tanks (once you get a bunch of designs it can be hard to keep track)
-i cant figure out how to delete games
-ai slightly easier on "easiest" (for the kids)
-ai upgrade for determining routs to take from point a to b. (when tanks are in large groups they will sometimes go up mountains and get stuck)
-ai upgrade for more pin-point accuracy in placing single units. (sometimes i want my tanks to look all "uniform" in their spots, so i like to be able to move one unit at a time and have him go exactly where i click, as opposed to "next-to" where i click.)
-more "absolute" hold position command. i dont even want my tanks to move out of the way for other tanks. i want to be able to "wall" my tanks.
-slightly faster power generation, or an option for how fast one can gather power from oil rigs.
-easier to discriminate between differently designed VTOLs
-more uniform VTOL automatic landing (sometimes i get several VTOLs in the same spot, and other times my base looks just sloppy, all covered in VTOLs.

i think that's it! thanks for your consideration. sorry the list is so long, but alot of them are small and i think could be easy additions to your next release. also, if i have phrased something incorrectly, please do not ignore the suggestion (ie if i accidently say "ai upgrade" when it is actually something else. you knew what i meant. this has happened to me on forums for other games). thanks again!
~zac
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

zslader wrote:-an accessible out-of-game or in-game research tree (you guys have a butt-load of research possibilities.)
http://guide.wz2100.net/r/tech-tree
zslader wrote:-i cant figure out how to delete games
My Documents/Warzone 2100 2.1/savegame/
HLG Dale
Trained
Trained
Location: at a laptop in Bury st edmunds -> (in suffolk) -> (in england)

Post by HLG Dale »

i have no clue if any of these have been posted b4 but...

1) ...you know when you put units on partrol they mindlessly wander in circles, well could it be possible that you set the route of partol kinda like in lines or diffrent shapes so they could guard a large or small area.

2)...when creating VTOL's they fly to the factory maker, could you make it so that they go straight to the nearest landing pad and if none are avalible then they go to the factory marker.

3)...can you decrease the reaserch time, on some of the things coz it feels like you'l never get to the end of the reaserch... O_O
Dale- (Adjective)
means:
A person/s and/or living creture/s addicted to playing Warzone 2100.
Warzone 2100- (Name)
Is:
the best/greatest game in the world/planet that should have continued being developed into a series.
fulano
Greenhorn

Post by fulano »

Timmay wrote:I searched fort his „idea“ and found it already in the second whish list thread but nobody replied to especially this so I just dare to whish this a second time.

It seems a complicated task, many commercial games today don't implement it but I would LOVE to see this feature! It would solve many problems with the crashing during multiplayer because you could just reload the game. Plus I hardly ever play such games for longer than an hour and it's tough to win so fast for me.
phatmantech
New user

Post by phatmantech »

I would like to see this game ported to the nintendo ds.
zslader
New user

Post by zslader »

Timmay wrote:I searched fort his „idea“ and found it already in the second whish list thread but nobody replied to especially this so I just dare to whish this a second time.

this kind of thing has been implemented in a few commercial games today, (blizzard games) im sure it wouldnt be hard to adapt the code to wz2100.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

zslader wrote:this kind of thing has been implemented in a few commercial games today, (blizzard games) im sure it wouldnt be hard to adapt the code to wz2100.
?!??!?!??!

"I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to adapt the code to wz2100"

?!?!??!?!?!

?!?!??!!

How do you plan on even getting the Blizzard code in the first place? "Oh, hi, please give me some of your intellectual property that you spent millions to develop. I need it to make a game that might compete with you at some point in the future."

And even if you did get the code. What do you do with it? Just copy+paste it in? Programming doesn't work like that. It's like writing a book. "Blizzard's book has a plot twist in it. I want my story to have that plot twist!" You can't just copy+paste it over, you have to rewrite it to fit your own story. Same idea here - we'd have to rewrite that code to fit our own game. In fact, I'd bet that Warzone is so different that having Blizzard's code would not help at all. I mean, the structure isn't too hard by itself:

- Save game state normally
- On load, reestablish connections

It's the implementation that's the hard part.
bremac
Greenhorn

Post by bremac »

Zarel wrote: - Save game state normally

It's fairly non-trivial if you assume that the saved state must include the ability to reestablish the relevant connections again. However, if you just allow any player to save their game state, and allow multiplayer/skirmish games to be created from said save file with the host assigning sides to the players you can eliminate the corner cases inherent in your model (and allow new players to be substituted in) in exchange for a little work on the behalf of the host/hub.
zslader
New user

Post by zslader »

Zarel wrote: ?!??!?!??!

"I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to adapt the code to wz2100"

?!?!??!?!?!

?!?!??!!

How do you plan on even getting the Blizzard code in the first place? "Oh, hi, please give me some of your intellectual property that you spent millions to develop. I need it to make a game that might compete with you at some point in the future."

And even if you did get the code. What do you do with it? Just copy+paste it in? Programming doesn't work like that. It's like writing a book. "Blizzard's book has a plot twist in it. I want my story to have that plot twist!" You can't just copy+paste it over, you have to rewrite it to fit your own story. Same idea here - we'd have to rewrite that code to fit our own game. In fact, I'd bet that Warzone is so different that having Blizzard's code would not help at all. I mean, the structure isn't too hard by itself:

- Save game state normally

ok, now i cant say this for every blizzard game, but i know ive come across the source for starcraft 1 (not the expansion pack) before. if you want, i could probably find it for you within the month, and if not im sure i could just go find another opensource game which already has this implemented. i know how programming works, and i know you couldnt just copy it over... what is wz2100 written in anyways? C? i havnt looked. --anyway, at least having the code could give you an idea of how to logically write your own version of it. it would take out some guess work.