Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 3

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
zslader
New user

Re: Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 3

Post by zslader »

also, it might be easier if you reestablish connections before you load, and keep the saved game on each participating computer.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

zslader wrote:ok, now i cant say this for every blizzard game, but i know ive come across the source for starcraft 1 (not the expansion pack) before. if you want, i could probably find it for you within the month, and if not im sure i could just go find another opensource game which already has this implemented. i know how programming works, and i know you couldnt just copy it over... what is wz2100 written in anyways? C? i havnt looked. --anyway, at least having the code could give you an idea of how to logically write your own version of it. it would take out some guess work.
As I've said - we already know how to write our own version of it. That's not hard at all. There is no such thing as "guesswork" in programming. The hard part is actually writing it, and having the source code to some other game isn't going to help at all.

Also, part of the StarCraft source may have been leaked, but it's still protected under intellectual property law, and looking at proprietary source basically contaminates you as a programmer - Whenever you write something, you can't guarantee that you didn't use what you learned from the StarCraft source, so Blizzard can sue you for copyright infringement. This basically means that looking at the source code for a proprietary program basically means you can't ever program as a job (or contribute to open source software) ever again.

Yes, Warzone is written in C.
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

Repair Oriented wish list:

1) Can we make it so that repair units do not count towards a commander's "command limit", in a similar way that attached indirect fire units and VTOLs don't count.

2) Would it be easy to modify the game such that repair turrets, or at least heavy repair turrets, act like mobile repair facilities: by this I mean a unit told to retreat at medium/heavy damage (or the player just pushes the "R" key to tell it to return for repairs) will head to the nearest repair unit when sufficiently damaged (assuming the mobile repair unit is closer than the repair facility).

3) The Repair Turret's repair rate is upgraded by either engineering or the Repair Facility upgrades.
fulano
Greenhorn

Post by fulano »

3drts wrote:Repair Oriented wish list:

1) Can we make it so that repair units do not count towards a commander's "command limit", in a similar way that attached indirect fire units and VTOLs don't count.

2) Would it be easy to modify the game such that repair turrets, or at least heavy repair turrets, act like mobile repair facilities: by this I mean a unit told to retreat at medium/heavy damage (or the player just pushes the "R" key to tell it to return for repairs) will head to the nearest repair unit when sufficiently damaged (assuming the mobile repair unit is closer than the repair facility).

3) The Repair Turret's repair rate is upgraded by either engineering or the Repair Facility upgrades.
Awesome ideas I think. It also does seem to me that the repair turrets are intensely slow when you're repairing the heaviest bodies. I would love to see more upgrades or something.