warzone 2100 publicity

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
lone commander
Rookie
Rookie

Re: warzone 2100 publicity

Post by lone commander »

I like Warzone Resurrection
Or Warzone 2100 Resurrection..

Thanks coolkid...
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

what else im trying to do is get the mod makers to put of a small little profile on moddb to get mod and game exposer many people there are also very technical so they could help on the development side of things like mapping modding bugs fixes addons etc.
the largest wz steam community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100 (all welcome to join help find matches find new relese and recruit new players)
lone commander
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lone commander »

sounds really good... I can prolly handle it, i just need a bit of time, im kind of confused right now @.@
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

I agree that mass marketing could attract undesirables so I think the best thing to do is target other RTS forums specifically 3D RTS games, and point out warzone's many innovative features and whats in store for the future.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

no what exactly is it is it like teamspeak
No, it has a different system. It's more like a instant-messaging program where you "add" your friends and chat with them (with written or vocal chat), but you can also see what game they are playing to, what they played before, their stats, and similar things. Just look at the "xfire users - join togheter here" thread in Off-Topic to find a lot of Warzone player's xfire nicknames.
quality is a much more important trait than quantity.
That for sure.
About the other things you said, it looks like you hate those I-play-to-win-only guys like I do. But, think of it.
When those guys will read "Warzone 2100, a resurrected game from the ol' nineties, always in development", they are not even going to try the game IMO.
The players you talk about want a completely balanced not-laggy game, with lots of other players to show their "skills" to. They just play to win so most of the times they feel bad when they lose, so they start searching search for any kind of justifications, or calling the enemy a "cheater", only to really look like losers themselves. Come on, it's just a game. Those guys should grow up and don't take games too seriously. I personally play every game I do because I enjoy the gaming itself. Winning is a secondary enjoyment, like "I had fun and... Wow, I won too." But this is just my opinion.
Back to what I've said at the beginning... They won't even consider this game, since it is old and it hasn't got enough players. And it's not Blizzard or Westwood (EA for latest C&C games).
Only more curious people will try the game and maybe enjoy it, then start playing.
I never played online with guys like those in Warzone so I guess they will never come here, this is not a mmorts, they are not gonna love it.
Quality will still be here. We as a community have got great "quality" as we, togheter, appreciate and love an old game and do our best to make it better. This is a good forum with good people, I can't imagine it to become like wow forums. No way it will.

So, what I am trying to say is that those kind of players won't necessary start playing a, let's say, particular game like this. It's not "dangerous" if we start spreading the word about this game. The first "targets" could be developing/modding communities, as they will easiliy get interested in another game which is in developing. Another thing could be... When the 2.1 version is ready, we could inform some gaming site, like Gamespot. Maybe we could get a little "news" line about this "new" Warzone if site admins find the work interesting. Many old players will remember of the game and maybe they'll start playing again. Possibilities are countless for marketing.

[Note: with this post I'm not saying Blizz games and C&C are not good games, as I really like those too, but many people there don't really know what a "game" is.]
lone commander
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lone commander »

I HAVE AN IDEA (Sorry, young age moment =P)

WHY NOT SPEAK OF A GAME, WITHIN A GAME????

Anyone who has WoW like myself, should go in that game, and speak of Warzone to those who like RTS games... even games like COD4, SOCOM US NAVY SEALS, etc... =]
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

i think that would be a good way to spread the world but if people are too woreid just start out in rts games like c&C aoe, sins, etc and see what the results are
the largest wz steam community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100 (all welcome to join help find matches find new relese and recruit new players)
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

here is the steam community :

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100

if there is somthing you dont like just tell me i can delete and recreate the group like if you dont agree with name or other unchangeable things
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

I have added screens to moddb we should help keep this contently updated with new and old wz stuff there are dozens of old mods that could be added plus the new ones. We can also add maps and skins on the addon part of the site
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

doom3r wrote: About the other things you said, it looks like you hate those I-play-to-win-only guys like I do. But, think of it.
When those guys will read "Warzone 2100, a resurrected game from the ol' nineties, always in development", they are not even going to try the game IMO.
The players you talk about want a completely balanced not-laggy game, with lots of other players to show their "skills" to. They just play to win so most of the times they feel bad when they lose, so they start searching search for any kind of justifications, or calling the enemy a "cheater", only to really look like losers themselves. Come on, it's just a game. Those guys should grow up and don't take games too seriously. I personally play every game I do because I enjoy the gaming itself. Winning is a secondary enjoyment, like "I had fun and... Wow, I won too." But this is just my opinion.
Back to what I've said at the beginning... They won't even consider this game, since it is old and it hasn't got enough players. And it's not Blizzard or Westwood (EA for latest C&C games).
Only more curious people will try the game and maybe enjoy it, then start playing.
I never played online with guys like those in Warzone so I guess they will never come here, this is not a mmorts, they are not gonna love it.
Quality will still be here. We as a community have got great "quality" as we, togheter, appreciate and love an old game and do our best to make it better. This is a good forum with good people, I can't imagine it to become like wow forums. No way it will.

So, what I am trying to say is that those kind of players won't necessary start playing a, let's say, particular game like this. It's not "dangerous" if we start spreading the word about this game. The first "targets" could be developing/modding communities, as they will easiliy get interested in another game which is in developing. Another thing could be... When the 2.1 version is ready, we could inform some gaming site, like Gamespot. Maybe we could get a little "news" line about this "new" Warzone if site admins find the work interesting. Many old players will remember of the game and maybe they'll start playing again. Possibilities are countless for marketing.

[Note: with this post I'm not saying Blizz games and C&C are not good games, as I really like those too, but many people there don't really know what a "game" is.]

I agree that C&C and WC are good games, but attract the...

Well, nevermind, I've said it twice, I don't need to keep repeating that point ;p.

Here's what I fear though:

A lot of people, as you mentioned, are only in it to "win". While WZ might be outdated compared to the upcoming SC2, RA3, etc.... SC2 and RA3 are going to have scads of people playing them right off the bat.

Not all of said people will be great at it.

Some of the ego-nuts who aren't any good will eventually get fed up with RA3 and losing, and go try and find someplace where they can easily dominate people, just to inflate their ego.

And then they remember this game they heard called WZ2100...

There's a far worse consequence to this than just annoying forum posts, though. This board is used for discussions to change the game.

A lot of what makes RTS games fun is to find out that trick that works, and use it. Or, to find out the counter to that trick.

Balance, while helpful, is not necessary to fun. But to the "die hard winners", it DAMN WELL BETTER BE BALANCED.

If every little detail isn't perfectly in line with some (usually pre-conceived by them) notion of "balanced", then it is terrible and needs to be changed.

Getting down to whether or not the 3rd level MG upgrade should cost 300 or 305 isn't fun for anyone. People just playing the game won't care, modders and coders have much better things to do, but...

Let me make this example: It was well known that (prior to the Res project), Minipod rockets were pretty terrible, and only used to tech to the Lancers. So, the minipods got much better. I haven't yet seen 1 complaint about them now being overpowered or imbalanced, because the only people here are the ones whose only vested interest is to have fun playing the game, and as far as "just plain fun" goes, since everyone has equal access to them, its all good. So to all of us, this change is "good".

If any quantity of "Player X" were here, then after that change had been made, we'd have neverending threads about how it is unfair to Machinegun users, them being told to STFU...

If this is just 1 or 2 annoyances, then yes, the Mods can usually exercise some authoritative muscle.

However, if anyone thinks that widepspread marketing would only net 1 or 2 annoyances... then I recommend going to the WoW general forums just once. Granted, I don't expect WZ2100 to ever have 10million followers, but imagine if even 0.01% of that garbage hits us. This board, right now, is all of a few dozen people (and only maybe 1 or 2 dozen that actively post). So as few as 10 people could become a "majority" here in short order... and if the majority is demanding that the Light Cannon fires 0.2 seconds faster, what does one do?
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

these are all legitimate concerns and like you said no one ever expects wz to have millions of people flowing it. This is just why we need to experiment with it and see the results. On the steam public group 3 people (just the ones who have told me ) have dl warzone 2100 so far and they all said they seemed to like it and we even tried to play each other tho it was complete failer as only sometimes showing up and not letting us start etc. but that is off topic. I think if we just start off in a few things and see the results we can make judgments from there. And after a big push for new player it is initialy we are going find people only want to win, trollers etc but over time there numbers will drop the fastest while leaving us a handful of new faithful players weather they are new old wz or old res players. Also wz is a mostly community project and i think that as because it is for purely entertainment i think that if we could have a more active custom creations and people playing online it will be ultimately be beneficial
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

I think we should post release here on moddb also so what about beta 4 i could do that
NucNut
Trained
Trained

Post by NucNut »

Well, see my thread about creating a WZ Clan - its more a way to keep track of player names than anything else, which at this stage i think is all we need.... But i agree, once 2.1 is released, post it to a few gaming sites that offer similar games. Plus, if we can get WZ2100 to appear in the xfire games list, the aforementioned clan would be a lot easier to manage....

So....yeah. At this stage we just need a way to keep track of all wz players who wanna game of mp. I think xfire may be the tool for it.

That said, if traffic picks up, we may look at running a dedicated xfire voice chat server to cut down on lag, as most players of wz are spread out all around the world - and as i found out, from Australia, connecting to a computer in the Ukraine that is playing, hosting and running a voice server can get quite choppy.

That said, the 4th beta looks really goood, even the in-game graphics seem chrisper. Good work everyone ;)
REDAC Aerospace: Proving that aircraft and terrain don't mix since 2005 :D
XFire Profile: dogzeroonefox
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

a clan or two would be really good to keep the current players connected.

also the steam community is now the largest wz group on steam at 59 members at this posting and 3 known dls. please tell me what you think about it and i would like a few admins to help me post updates new versions schedule upcoming games for all the members and we need a new logo the current one dosent fit right.
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

well i found online game by using steam chat on our group it was 3 humans a easy bot ffa well i got double teamed but whatever but anyways this is a great way to find games also and new players for wz

edit: also after i gave up the match it crashed the game for the other two players