Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 2

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Re: Warzone 2100 wish list - all can contribute_part 2

Post by fisk0 »

... oh, and about the earlier proposed "nation specific super units", how about having some thing like the old force creation screen where you get a limited amount of points to select which units and techs you want to start with?
That might get some varied early games (even though everything will be the same later in the game when everyone has researched everything), someone could chose to be able to build some of the simpler base defence buildings from the start, others choose to have wheels and light cannons or cyborg engineers, factory upgrades or whatever.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

fisk0 wrote:... oh, and about the earlier proposed "nation specific super units", how about having some thing like the old force creation screen where you get a limited amount of points to select which units and techs you want to start with?
That might get some varied early games (even though everything will be the same later in the game when everyone has researched everything), someone could chose to be able to build some of the simpler base defence buildings from the start, others choose to have wheels and light cannons or cyborg engineers, factory upgrades or whatever.
I dunno what the reason was for the removal of the force creation screen... Hmmm...
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Buginator wrote: I dunno what the reason was for the removal of the force creation screen... Hmmm...
r2159 | per | 2007-07-21 19:22:30 +0200 (Sat, 21 Jul 2007) | 2 lines

Remove force editor. Nice widget, but nobody knew what to do with it.
Nobody said they missed it in over a year. So I figure I was correct.
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

Per wrote:
Buginator wrote: I dunno what the reason was for the removal of the force creation screen... Hmmm...
r2159 | per | 2007-07-21 19:22:30 +0200 (Sat, 21 Jul 2007) | 2 lines

Remove force editor. Nice widget, but nobody knew what to do with it.
Nobody said they missed it in over a year. So I figure I was correct.
It was pretty useless the way it used to be, but that doesn't mean it could be recreated in a useful way?
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

it didnt add that much diskspace up did it? some people still liked it make it easer to use and options for online and skirmish
the largest wz steam community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100 (all welcome to join help find matches find new relese and recruit new players)
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

I'd like the installer to be "smarter", I don't know if it is necessary for any other versions than the Windows version, but in the Windows version it seems the Warzone 2100 user data directory changes position for every version, it would be great if the installer worked kind of like the Windows installer for VLC Media Player, it checks for the program and says something like "Hey, it seems you have an older version of Warzone 2100 installed already, would you like to have the old version removed before installing?", or maybe "You have an older version of Warzone 2100 installed, would you like the installer to copy your custom maps, music and (if possible) savegames and settings to the new configuration?".

By the way, maybe there could also be a "Warzone 2100 Addon Installer" program for all platforms, kind of like the Extensions system in Firefox or the Gnome Art Manager, which is a separate program that connects to some kind of database of supported mods, maps and music (checking which version of Warzone you have installed to make sure it doesn't download incompatible stuff), maybe showing an image/screenshot, name of the map/mod/music pack and author and a short description, to make it easier for not-too-technical people to install this kind of stuff.
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

Heya.

I hope, i don't generate too much attention. I just noticed this thread and since i don't want to copy&paste my old thread, you could just click here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1748&p=19828#p19828

There i wrote down some ideas - be ware, the text is long ;) i was overtired while typing it.
Maybe some of my ideas could be realized in the future of this game. Later in the Fuuuuture~

Ideas are: Solutions to kill the A-Synchronicity besides optimizing the Game Code. Unfakeable Possibility to arrange Tournaments between Players. Possibilities to create Clan-like Groups which can even arrange their own private Tournaments. Possibility to create huge Live-Statistics of every single Game and Player on the Website. More coming outta my Head :P Please read my post and comment.
Last edited by Zi-Chan on 29 Aug 2008, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
:ninja:
rkhayrov
Greenhorn

Post by rkhayrov »

Hi everyone!
I've been lurking around this forum for quite a while and finally decided to add my 2 cents :-)

Disclaimer: I am not an experienced Warzone player; played skirmish irregularly for maybe a year, and never played MP, so my suggestions can be totally balance breaking etc :-)

Artillery plays great role in Warzone, and I think it needs more fashionable upgrades. There are damage, rate of fire, and accuracy upgrades. Although the last ones are called like "target acquisition artillery shells", I think of them as fire control system upgrades, not some actual shell guidance system. (By the way, target prediction in 2.1beta misses totally on long distance. Not simply CEP increases, but it overestimates target movement a lot, and sometimes precisely bombs my structures 10 tiles away.) As far as I get it from code, no indirect weapons adjust projectile trajectory in flight, although there is (unused?) HOMING-INDIRECT movement type. I think there is a potential for great anti-tank weapon here :-) What about:
Laser Guided Anti-Tank Artillery Shells
Laser Guidance Tower/Turret — like Command Turret, with possible upgrade to track more than one target.
155 mm (supposed Ground Shaker caliber) precision guided shell, hitting tank from the upside, should do a hell lot of damage! I'd say 2–3 hits should kill even Vengeance Tracks. On the downside, this system should have low ROF, and require relatively vulnerable laser highlighting tower in the direct sight.
Lower caliber shells are not supposed to precision guided, so maybe it worth introducing another howitzer type, but in general, I think possibility to switch artillery unit/structure between different shell types would be awesome.

Another concern is MRLS. Warzone MRLS (Ripple/Angel/Archangel) tend to put their rockets right into the target, maybe more precisely than howitzers. But real world MRL systems are not like this, they are area devastation weapons, with relatively imprecise rockets, possibly releasing guided submunitions. While Warzone is not based directly on contemporary technologies, I think it misses some kind of area devastation weapon :-) I mean, possibility to destroy almost anything with MRL salvo is nice, but sometimes it would be better to "soften" enemy tanks/defense on some area (here possibly goes my MP ignorance), not destroying it one by one.
atdsutm
Greenhorn

Post by atdsutm »

This is my wishlist

game mechanics and display
-Faction diversity in early game and choosing between Project, New paradigm, and Collective. This also mean that you start out with different bodies.
-Improve graphics engine, such as more interactive weapons such as MG flashing muzzles while firing. Railgun having a beam like trail more noticeable explosion and detailed/distinguishable units to improve gameplay.
-improvement on hit and run tactics and fast game style.
-superweapon such as satelite and GPS all map view system can be turned off before playing multiplayer
-bridges and gates
-macro build walls
-improvement on flamers
-improvement on flame based weapon to add depth on counter system.

weapons
-Nexus' grand cannon (the same one in the final mission.)
-New flamer: plasmite inferno (plasmite with a very big fuel tank :/)
-New machinegun : laser MG (just an MG that is a laser)
-New Tank buster upgrades and new tech tree after it.
-
-Cloaking field and Cloaking detection : a support turret that cloaks every in a small radius and can only be detected by specific sensor tower that is designed to detect cloaked units., but units will appear when they fire and still targetable by strike towers such as VTOL strike or CB towers. (this will also make other useless unit macro more useful such as "hold fire" or "return fire").
-ECM field : same as cloaking field and has a small chance of decreasing accuracy, but has a wider range.
-Mine : that has different damage types such as flame, kinetic and even EMP mines
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

atdsutm wrote:-Faction diversity in early game and choosing between Project, New paradigm, and Collective. This also mean that you start out with different bodies.
The problem is that Nexus bodies are better than Collective bodies in pretty much every way, which are mostly better than NP, which are mostly better than Project. I suppose you could balance them, and also introduce the different factions' walls, but I don't think they make enough of a difference, considering everything else will still be the same, and you would no longer have, or at least have a significantly smaller, unit body upgrade tree.
atdsutm wrote:-superweapon such as satelite and GPS all map view system can be turned off before playing multiplayer
This is already possible - just set their build limit to 0.
atdsutm wrote:-macro build walls
What do you mean? Warzone already supports build queuing (by holding down Shift) and building lines of walls (by clicking and dragging).
atdsutm wrote:-improvement on flamers
-improvement on flame based weapon to add depth on counter system.
Flamers are already quite powerful; when you first get them in multiplayer, you can destroy most enemy units in one hit.
atdsutm wrote:-Nexus' grand cannon (the same one in the final mission.)
Anyone who's used the Research All cheat or the No Research mod will probably realize that in its current state, the Nexus Plasma Mortar is heavily overpowered. I suppose with balancing, it could be usable, but I don't see the need. I'd prefer some sort of indirect-homing weapon. Heat-Seeking Missiles as an upgrade from archies?
atdsutm
Greenhorn

Post by atdsutm »

Zarel wrote: The problem is that Nexus bodies are better than Collective bodies in pretty much every way, which are mostly better than NP, which are mostly better than Project. I suppose you could balance them, and also introduce the different factions' walls, but I don't think they make enough of a difference, considering everything else will still be the same, and you would no longer have, or at least have a significantly smaller, unit body upgrade tree.
err i mean players can choose between 3 factions such as project, NP and collective, while having equal chances to get nexus bodies and the the other further advance bodies. since it easier to balance the 3 different types of bodies between the initial factions.
Zarel wrote: This is already possible - just set their build limit to 0.
really i didn't notice that.
Zarel wrote: What do you mean? Warzone already supports build queuing (by holding down Shift) and building lines of walls (by clicking and dragging).
err i mean here was instead of building walls one by one, there should be like a "linking walls system" like Red Alert 2, although that make building walls inflexible and uncustomizable.
Zarel wrote: Flamers are already quite powerful; when you first get them in multiplayer, you can destroy most enemy units in one hit.
but thats just for early game. once enemies have upgraded with better weapons its harder to get close and the reward is not at all proportional to the risks at mid game
Zarel wrote: Anyone who's used the Research All cheat or the No Research mod will probably realize that in its current state, the Nexus Plasma Mortar is heavily overpowered. I suppose with balancing, it could be usable, but I don't see the need. I'd prefer some sort of indirect-homing weapon. Heat-Seeking Missiles as an upgrade from archies?
[/quote]

maybe with some balancing or moving it at the end of the tier list might help, but i hope they could put it in MP and balanced it well.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

atdsutm wrote:
Zarel wrote: Flamers are already quite powerful; when you first get them in multiplayer, you can destroy most enemy units in one hit.
but thats just for early game. once enemies have upgraded with better weapons its harder to get close and the reward is not at all proportional to the risks at mid game
To verify, I tried that. I played a game on Sk-Rush against Aivolution in normal mode, and used nothing but flamer cyborgs and thermite flamer cyborgs (and a plasmite flamer). It was a lot easier than I expected.

I had a single thermite flamer cyborg go into an array of 7 or so light cannon bunkers surrounded by a lot of units and take out 2 borgs, 3 cobra mini-pods, a truck, and a light cannon bunker before retreating on medium damage. Ironically, while in the early game, I lost a lot of cyborgs, in the late game, the only time I ever had a flamer cyborg reach red health levels was when it was attacked by another flamer cyborg.

Things I noticed:

- Every tank and cyborg died in one hit, except commanders, which took two or three.
- Bunkers are not as easy as droids, but still incredibly easy to destroy.
- Auto-repair is ridiculously powerful (as in fast) on cyborgs, since they have so little health to begin with.
- Aivolution's strategy of copying my strategy of using nothing but light cannon bunkers for defense didn't work so well against flamers.
- Long-range, which is a good idea on rockets/cannons/lasers, is terrible for flamers, since they have so low accuracy to begin with.
- Cyborg composite alloys is very useful. Once your armor is good enough, you can just rush past enemy base defenses. Inside their base, they'll only have units to defend with, and those die in one hit.
- The flamer misbehavior bug still isn't fixed in the latest nightly. =P
- It's nearly impossible to damage hardcrete/hardpoints, HQs, and Command Relay Posts. And by "nearly impossible", I mean with 5 thermite flamer cyborgs with all flamer technology maxed, I could set them all on attacking an HQ, wait 10 minutes, and the HQ would be at around 40% damage. Thankfully, I don't have to destroy them to win. I think this is a bug.

(As I was playing, someone walked by and said "Wow, you're owning. What game is this?" I think I managed to recruit another player.)
atdsutm
Greenhorn

Post by atdsutm »

im having dificulty using them for tanks, thanks for the info

i just hope the cloaking idea gets implemented thats the best idea i can think of
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

Ok, this isn't something I expect to be added to the game, but I think it would be really cool to have Mech propulsion, what their advantages to other propulsions are I don't know, and I doubt they could use the same bodies as the other propulsions - but it's just cool. They could be like bigger, stronger, faster and multiturreted cyborgs. Just imagine angel-flashlight mechs, avenger-pepperpot mechs or inferno-scourge mechs! *drools*
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

fisk0 wrote:Ok, this isn't something I expect to be added to the game, but I think it would be really cool to have Mech propulsion, what their advantages to other propulsions are I don't know, and I doubt they could use the same bodies as the other propulsions - but it's just cool. They could be like bigger, stronger, faster and multiturreted cyborgs. Just imagine angel-flashlight mechs, avenger-pepperpot mechs or inferno-scourge mechs! *drools*
Well, the trunk has support for multiturreted tanks, but mixing weapons of vastly different range isn't a very good idea... Think something closer to scourge-gauss or pulse-scourge.

On a different note, after doing some playtesting, flamers and flamer cyborgs are far too overpowered.