Few more features about units control

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Few more features about units control

Post by nick87720z »

Commaners
Currently all they do is sending units to attack target or to follow own position (if too far from commander). However, i remember one historical RTS , dedicated to middle ages (when they had first guns and wooden naval fleet), but don't remember its name... its one good feature - support for various units order, like defensive, attacking, etc (usually soldiers are surrounding or boxing their commander). I noticed similar attempt to imitate that - e.g., in campaign or some mods (New Paradigm mod-map) units are placed in some initial order, though its broken later). What if same is implemented with commanders? While using single units (even grouped), they are to be micromanaged. But with commander some placement management would be available. But unlike that old rts game, with number of predefined orders, only few commands may be needed, depending on planned engine's feature:
- Set unit's orientation (for all units)... currently to do this it must be "sent" in direction, it must rotate to, than be sticked
- Hold the position and angle relatively to commander.
- May be add some list, where these orders could be saved and reused - some kind of desiger, but simpler, than unit's designer: only list with save/delete buttons. Since it is commander feature, button for it may be placed in commander's command console.

And one new movement parameter: in addition to default sticky mode, there may be even more sticky mode, when unit moves only of clicked on the ground. If clicked to target, it doesn't follow it, awaiting while it gets it its range. Currently to prevent following of escaping attacker, while staying in some defensive order, i click on target, than immediately re-stick it, but in this case it may again switch to other target (less important, than i specified, like lancers when i use tanks or MRA units and cannon-based artillery, if i'm defending a base).

As example, in New Paradigm map last time a tried, unlike what i done in video, i tried to use tank units more effectively, for what i researched heavy repair turret, holding two units behind of cannon units (also researched HVC to upgrade tanks, as well as defences on entry). In order to move them, keeping same order, some micromanagement is necessary, and with commander is impossible. Adding ordering feature to comander may make such tricks even simple and trivial (even without engineering tanks, rocket tanks are usually sent after few cannon/MG tanks, what is made both in campaign, e.g. in third mission agains the collective, and nullbot also noticed doing so on New Paradigm map-mod).
Those, who sacrifice culture for bit of freedom don't diserve any.
nick87720z
Trained
Trained

Re: Few more features about units control

Post by nick87720z »

Oops, just repeated another theme - Keep Formation, just bellow this. Accedentaly entered that thread :)
Those, who sacrifice culture for bit of freedom don't diserve any.
Tzeentch
Trained
Trained

Post by Tzeentch »

that was ages of empires, possibly the second i specifically recalled this from. This would be useful
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

I was going to start a new thread on a similar topic similar but decided I'll just post it here.

What about removing the VTOL long distance/close distance/optimal distance buttons on the menu screen and replacing them with attack priorities e.g. attack structures first OR attack units first OR attack AA structures first OR attack oil derricks first. This way when we use the patrol/circle feature with VTOL's and they go off on their own attacking things, we have some control over what they attack first.
trevormanaze
Trained
Trained

Post by trevormanaze »

nick87720z wrote:Commaners
Currently all they do is sending units to attack target or to follow own position (if too far from commander). However, i remember one historical RTS , dedicated to middle ages (when they had first guns and wooden naval fleet), but don't remember its name... its one good feature - support for various units order, like defensive, attacking, etc (usually soldiers are surrounding or boxing their commander). I noticed similar attempt to imitate that - e.g., in campaign or some mods (New Paradigm mod-map)

that's a cool mod to play in the video you posted. How does green play? does he have bases?